Terrain transforming just as you about to fly over it

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

yes

Brief description of the issue:

Terrain is transforming very close to the plane

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

take off from LKPR and fly to any direction at 500ft AGL. Watch how terrain getting refined and transform just in front of the plane.

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

Edit - I originally wasn’t able to reproduce this, but around CYYJ airport I could, easily. It sounds to me like the same issue.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/terrain-lod-glitch/508327

Yes but when flying from CYYJ over Vancouver Island and over the islands on the way to CYVR.

Very bad transitions to terrain (mesh) as your aircraft approaches the area. It looks like you’re constantly flying towards escarpments which then pop into the expected land mass once you’re almost on top of them.

2 Likes

Is this your issue? I was able to reproduce this one:
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/terrain-lod-glitch/508327

Possibly but I’m on XBox so have no terrain or other LOD sliders to experiment with.

1 Like

I am asking the original topic author but thanks for the info.

1 Like

In your image its more extreme. I guess the rougher the terrain the worse it gets.

#Xbox Series X

I flew the CYVR to CYYJ route and watched this more carefully. In my previous post I said “pop into the expected land mass” which sort of implied the land in the foreground jumped up to meet the “escarpment”. Actually, it’s the opposite ~ as you flying towards the “escarpments” the terrain gets flattened as you get closer.

I believe the mesh transition to the next higher detail should be happening much further away from the aircraft’s position to avoid this.

I’ll check mountainous terrain in another area of the globe for comparison.

yes

terrain heights have changed since sim ubdate 9 beta

2 Likes

I took off from Victoria International CYYJ heading North-East towards Vancouver. The shots are around 5-10 min into the flight with a C152.

I always had terrain morphing in MSFS (in fact in any MS-based sim so far) but it seems to have essentially deteriorated with SU9beta

1 Like

Can you see the trees off the nose? That height glitch moves as you fly.

That’s not good. :laughing: Where are you flying?

1 Like

CYYJ Victoria BC. Seems to be related to LOD. If I set it to 400, it just moves further away. That’s the default 200.

1 Like

It’s a bit windy.

1 Like

Reproduced around CYYJ.

I wonder if this issue is related to the following (I was not able to reproduce it but maybe I missed something):

Sounds similar, but without a screenshot, hard to tell.

1 Like

Hello everyone, I merged both threads.

1 Like

There is an issue with 3rd party airports. The ground image seems to load up very late now. I wonder of if its related to the same issue.

I opened the issue here-
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/3rd-party-airports-photos-does-not-load-till-very-close/509162

1 Like

Whenever you post a screenshot, please add specific coordinates so that we can go directly to the area impacted. Thank you for your help.

1 Like

Can also confirm this occurs around CYYJ right now. I’ve seen this happen before rather rarely, first time somewhere in the Banff National Park back in 2020. Seems to be very area-specific, but not a completely new bug overall.