Terrible apocalyptic photogrammetry of Vienna

my net speedtest says a ping of 16ms, my ingame connection says 45 ms to west european server

Can you see that ingame and how ? Thx

in the upper right corner click on your user icon

1 Like

Source https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/online-status-is-always-offline-and-cant-change-server/429114/16

Delete rolling cache and turn off > apply and save.
Turn off photogrammetry > apply and save.
Turn on photogrammetry > apply and save.
Also delete scenery addons.

1 Like

did this several times and it made absolute no difference at all

1 Like

Create manual cache (select cache quality - high).
[HOW-TO]

1 Like

PC Version
NOTE: I think the screenshot looks washed out because of Windows HDR. Looks better in game.

I ultimately disabled Photogrammetry. Here’s what it did to KSBA Santa Barbara Municipal on Friday afternoon. The issue did not appear on Thursday, when I first ran WU6. The screenshot was taken when I spawned in after clicking “Fly” and noticed the horizon wasn’t level.

• Empty Community Folder
  • Cache cleared and re-enabled
  • photo is default scenery (MSFS gets stuck at loading after clicking “Fly”, when using Orbx KSBA). So I uninstalled almost of all my purchased airports and scenery again.
  • London looked as described by the initial poster of this thread. It looked like buildings were destroyed by a nuclear bomb and only sharp artifacts of them remain in their place. It was also default London scenery. I haven’t used my Orbx London scenery since WU4.
  • The only setting I changed between the release of WU6 and when photogrammetry started failing was the new setting: Pre-caching set to Ultimate.

Anyway, I just thought I’d add a screenshot to help illustrate other areas that are affected by photogrammetry in WU6. I don’t belive Santa Barbara California is part of a special photogrammetry city. I’m still super happy with the game though. It still looks fantastic without photogrammetry, and I spend most of my time with my head inside the cockpit of the Milviz Corsair trying to figure out what settings I missed to make it so difficult to trim the aircraft for straight and level flight with minimal corrections.

I’m just hoping it’s patched two weeks from now (realistic estimate). That’s about when I think I’ll be comfortable in my knowledge of the Corsair to begin looking outside and touring again.

1 Like

„Ping“ (roundtrip time) is mostly unrelated to bandwidth (download speed). You can have an extreme low ping time, yet still have a sucky bandwidth.

1 Like

I have a “VDSL” connection right now (45 mbps) with 45 ms Ping in game. Do you know if it would help if I went to fiber ? I could, it would still cost me 5 Euros more each month though.
Right now good PG gets downloaded, but in some areas very slowly, so I have to fly over a city a few times for it to look fine. Would the fiber make the loading much faster ?

Pingplotter is my best friend.

https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/interpretgraphsexampleone.html

https://www.pingplotter.com/support/tag/interpreting-results

In case that there is anywhere a bottleneck between Servers and your computer it wont help

Ok… a bottleneck related to ?..
I found that topic, Recommended internet speed?. Apparently 50mbps was once recommanded as the ideal value.

i‘ve got 250 and it seem not to be enough

1 Like

thanks for the tip. now it works really well. i disabled the mesh. so gorgeus now for me as a viennese. :+1: :grin:

1 Like

I tried it and I wouldn’t call it gorgeous… the buildings are nicer than the photogrammetry in a messy state, but the ground textures were terrible.

Not enough in what sense, can you elaborate ? Did you make a comparison between 45 and 250, was there an improvement, even if you didn’t reach perfection ? Thx

Well,

Tested London again to get screenshots of the Apocalyptic look at VR altitudes

I might have missed one of the suggestions posted, but I’ll just keep Photogrammetry disabled for now.

1 Like

Out of curiosity regarding London, did you notice some odd graphical glitches related (I think) to light on some PI London skyscrapers, like the almond shaped one with crossed lines ? Zooming in or out, it turned black or got back its real look.

I’m not sure. I didn’t notice any building textures abruptly change while moving around the map, but I wasn’t looking for it either. It might be the case. I did re-test the Orbx London scenery, and the building colors are different than in the default scenery. I didn’t notice any abrupt building texture changes with Orbx London scenery as well.

Default Scenery:

Orbx Scenery:

I think I’ll keep Photogrammetry disabled and re-install my Orbx Landscape sceneries, at least until there is a confirmed bug and a fix. I don’t want to believe that this is how Photogrammetry is supposed to look. Photogrammetry is acceptable and I perceive it as fantastic when I’m flying the A32nx or similar though.

when i run a net test i get 250mbit/s, if i run the simulator and watcht the data stream the peaks are at max. 60mbit/s. thats to slow to stream a complex PG city. somewhat is limiting my bandwith and its not my provider