Terrible apocalyptic photogrammetry of Vienna

at the moment i‘ve set it at 2 but i can give it a try with 5

I didn’t modify the usercfg file. I tried creating a new rolling cache and off on the photogrammetry. I have the behind the scene cache on ultra.
Since the post is about Vienna, I went there and it was just as ugly as Berlin, or rather, more.
There must be some bugs somewhere.
I attached a picture of what I saw. All my graphic settings are either high or ultra btw and the FPS is 50 to 60 on average.

1 Like

That is indeed ugly. I did not try Vienna yet, but I am going to test it on the weekend.

I had the same problem, Vienna looked just like your picture, so I turned off Bing Data and photogrammetry in the options menu, saved setting then turned them back on and saved settings, went back and looked at Vienna and this time it looked normal, hope this helps

3 Likes

I tried that, PG AND Bing this time, no results. Now I actually see those ugly random buildings in Paris too, what fooled me was that the main famous buildings are detailed and fine, as wall as smaller cities with individual houses in the outskirts, I just don’t get it. This last Update is worse than anything.

Slow down and wait for the PG data fully loaded, otherwise you may get low polycount and blurry texture.

What do you mean “slow down”. The speed of the plane ? Nah, doesn’t matter how long I stay or how fast I go, I only see very minor, barely noticeable better textures loading as I fly over

The screen shoot you’ve posted above clearly shows that the PG data was not fully loaded.

5 Likes

Ok just remember please folks that if you rush out to see the latest updates that Asobo installed, everyone else is doing exactly the same thing so the server loads spike right after a release. My advice, fully acknowledging that things could be amiss, is to wait a week or so before posting about some area not being up to par. Some people will notice bad PG more than others because their internet connections are not great or the route they take to the data is not the best. I’ve noticed with every update that they get better in a few days. By a week or so, things are far better.

Just did a quick test and it doesn’t look too bad at all to me (I am on fast internet with rolling cache enabled)

7 Likes

I think there may be something here - there was a recent bug where settings were not being saved.

I actually prefer photogrammetry than entire handcrafted cities. It feels more real somehow and more interesting and varied.

If only they can replicate the quality of Tokyo photogrammetry in every city then it would be amazing.

10 Likes

Ok, then the solution is, we have to visit vienna one after another? This is clearly a bug

2 Likes

It’s a big planet, after all. Been to Africa already? Pretty empty there, in my experience :wink:

3 Likes

I agree with that. The PG that actually shipped with the game was decent. However, recent WU have had inferior PG. It looks decent from the air, but when flying really low and close, the quality is much lower, and the building seem to melt. Take Amsterdam. LOTS of low quality/melting PG buildings occurring there. However, flying above 1000ft+, still much improved over stock.

2 Likes

Your Vienna photos do look good.
Question remains, why now ? My Internet speed didn’t change, but the game did. Hopefully it gets fixed pretty quick. Cause right now, it feels like the game would discriminate between players depending on bandwidth, NOT good.

The speed of download from the internet is not always controlled by developers and support staff. People take for granted the immense amount of data that gets pushed over the lines daily that go between your homes and distant servers sometimes through several hops depending on where you live. When any activity spikes you get slowdowns and data loss. It’s just the nature of bandwidth. Giant data sucking new releases test the limits. Gamers are always complaining about new roll outs and slowdown of installations when everyone hits at once. The same is true for photogrammetry data. It’s not a bug. It’s life.

8 Likes

So you mean it’s a game feature then ? i would call it a very bad feature. And btw, was I so lucky that before I never happened to fly over a region which not too many people were visiting, because I don’t remember experiencing such lingering ugliness before. ? A game should look pretty or ugly depending on hardware and graphic settings, not how many people are currently connected. Then it’s a matter of luck if it becomes enjoyable or not. How could you be fine with THAT ? It’s not “life”, it’s bad design decision, or at least some sort of clumsy implementation down the line.

3 Likes

Deleting and rebuilding the Rolling Cache will probably fix this

1 Like

Didn’t for me.