Terrible stutters and sim freezes since updating to SU13

After updating to SU13, I have had such bad VR performance. I just tried a short flight and it was the worst experience I have yet had in VR in MSFS. The screens kept going blank on either side when I turned my head, almost like the sim couldn’t keep up (4090 GPU) and I had the most awful stuttering. Not the normal stuttering, this was the whole sim locking up for a second or two and this happened constantly on a 30 minute flight.

Could this be SU13? Is anyone seeing this since updating? Do I need to reinstall the Nvidia Driver? What could be destroying my sim experience when everything was ok before the Sim Update?

2 Likes

ditto here… 7800x3d, 4090 64 gB - pancake mode is fine… pimax crustal VR 12 FPS… FFS - I just got things stable and really playable with the dynamic foveated rendering ginvg great results…

2d mode works fine for me too, it’s only in VR. And I checked that ‘frame generation’ was off in PC settings as that would mess the performance up previously in VR.

It was working alright before and now it’s pretty much unusable. Locked to 30, locked to 45, unlocked, makes no difference. Low settings, high settings etc no difference… God, I hope they fix whatever they broke as this is not working for me any more at all…

Seems to run about the same as with SU12 for me with 13700/4080/Reverb G2.
I’d recommend doing the standard checks:

• clear Nvidia shader cache
  • clear MSFS scenery index files
  • make sure rolling cache is off and deleted
  • sfc /scannow
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

If nothing helps, try MSFS safe mode in case it’s somehow connected to a specific addon.

1 Like

I have the same issue in normal mode (no VR for me). I have a RTX 4070. Have tried DX11 and 12, and tried reducing graphics to medium, but still no joy. The freezing and stuttering happens in flight, but also when loading and on menu screens. I do hope there is patch soon, as the sim is unusable at present

3 Likes

I was on the SU 13 beta, and have had no performance issues following its public release.

I did a test flight over Melbourne just now in the C172 G1000.

System and settings:

5800X3D, X570 motherboard, 4090 GPU, Win 10, using DX11. Pimax Crystal headset at full native resolution, with eye tracking disabled and no fixed foveated rendering, locked to half framerate at 45fps running PimaxVR with Turbo mode on in the Toolkit. Live weather, multiplayer, live air traffic, most sim settings on high or ultra.

Edit: nVidia driver 536.40

Took off from Essendon airport and flew at 2,000ft over central Melbourne and never once dipped below 45fps. No issues at all on my set up.

1 Like

Please open a ticket with Asobo! I’ve had one open since 1.33.8.0 and they have provided no fix. just generic fixes I’ve already tried. Thx

1 Like

No issues here, it’s running no better and no worse than SU12 for me, which is a little stuttery on the ground in big airports, but flawless in flight.

I’m still on Win10, 5600x, 3070, nvidia driver is dated august 2023. Dx11.

Using DLSS, no oxr toolit, aig.

The only freezing up I have had in the past was a black screen in the reverb g2 for a few seconds approaching big airports, turning scenery cache back on fixed this.

I’d do the dism dance

1 Like

So strange. I just flew again in the Vision Jet and it was horrible. Black panels on the left and right when I turn my head, the sim freezing for a second or two or locking up completely… What a nightmare…

Have you tried the suggestions I made?

I did yes, thanks but none of those things help. I think my Aero is having a meltdown as this is now happening out of the sim too. Will RMA with Varjo. Thanks.

The same is happening to me. I tried to change different settings but nothing makes the stutters stop.

I wasted an evening trying all different kinds of settings… nothing helped… I don’t think it’s sim related on my setup as it now happens out of the sim too… no idea. Maybe a Windows update or a SteamVR update, who know…

Absolute long shot here but try reseating your graphics card, pull her out and back in. I’ve seen this twice now causing absolute weirdness, don’t know if it’s sag or heat or what. And the little press and wiggle on your ram.

Long shot stuff that I’d be doing myself fwiw!

I have never had any CTD for years but now I do in VR or desktop… I tried turning off different programs that are running no difference, after 5-10 min of flying, stutters and CTD. Updated on sept 29/23

1 Like

ok I’m back…nuked every cache I could find… same stuff as @pacyfire below as luck would have it!.. anyway I will just have to form part of my upgrade ritual that I do with DCS too

thinking about it you’d have thought that it would be a good idea that the installer prompted you to nuke caches etc as part of good hygiene during updates…

How?

Done

Thx!

You can google them and get instructions. I clear the shader cache after every Nvidia upgrade and the scenery indices after every SU or WU.

I experienced similar behaviour right after SU13 update. Rebooted and installed new nVidia drivers and now the sim is a happy puppy.

1 Like