Texas City Update-Still no Dallas?!

It is very odd. Don’t get me wrong, like Jorg, I also lived in Tx for over 30 years and am thrilled that big state is getting more cities with photogrammetry. This is way more good than bad, so overall we should be excited.

But for perspective, there are over a thousand cities with photogrammetry, 49 of the top 50 most populated US cities have photogrammetry(and plenty more), except for #9, Dallas.

A 2nd USA World update came, still no Dallas, but they did give us DFW International.

Now, a special Texas city update, yet still…no Dallas.

Dallas Tx, whatever you did to the good people at Asobo/MS, Shame on You!

7 Likes

Jorg definitely lost money on the Cowboys.

14 Likes

:joy:
ten characters

1 Like

This thread brings back fond memories from my time as a moderator :smiley:

4 Likes

Yea they gave us KDFW airport but have you landed there in the game? Horrible job they did. Looks like FS98. And cars fly up and down off the ground vertically on Int’l Pkwy that runs through DFW airport. They really need to redo KDFW and please do it right this time. I’d even pay for a 3rd party version of KDFW.

7 Likes

:joy:

Thank you for the solid contribution you made as a Moderator. I remember you as being a great moderator, and being an awesome part of the team. Clearly, you took the responsibility seriously and your fair, thoughtful approach made this a better place.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I don’t remember when exactly it was posted, but there was someone who was super super super salty about Dallas not being in the sim. It proved to make things interesting :thinking:

1 Like

I very much remember that. It got me my first forum ban. I was baiting him into further frustration (And some comments into gutter). My bad for sure.

1 Like

Ha, you might be talking about me.

I love the sim and updates and photogrammetry. But surely not having Dallas is not normal and the fact there’s been two USA updates and a special “Texas Cities” update where they are adding new cities that didn’t have photogrammetry as well as touching up on Texas cities that already had photogrammetry, stands out. It’s like France with no Paris. England with no London.

People brought it up before I noticed it and other’s notice as well.

I made a thread saying I was no longer requesting photogrammetry in Dallas. I was downgrading my request to just ask “why no Dallas”. I was just curious. Thread was locked lol.

I absolutely LOVE this sim. Do not get me wrong as someone who just complains.

Some context to help you understand…

It’s easier for me to tell you cities with photogrammetry I have yet to fly over, than cities I have.

I have yet to fly over 3 photogrammetry cities in France, I haven’t flown over Germany yet, and Las Vegas and Boulder Colorado are the only cities in MSFS 2020 that have photogrammetry that I have yet to fly over.

That means I have flown over hundreds of cities with photogrammetry all over the world. I absolutely Love It!

So, knowing firsthand how many small cities and big cities have detail/photogrammetry, knowing that Dallas fits all the criteria to have photogrammetry and then some, that’s why I bring it up.

Less of a complaint, but more of a, “this is kind of odd”.

Next photogrammetry city for me to fly over…Nantes France!

Next photogrammetry city after that…NOT Dallas lol.

When it comes to the sim, and my fellow flight simmers, it’s all love. Please don’t take my post or observation as a complaint. If there was no photogrammetry in Tx, I would also mention that but truth be told…I still would fly this sim.

And in terms of inconsistency regarding photogrammetry, I just did five 20+ minute videos over Angers France as they have a bunch of photogrammetry beyond the main part of the city, but places like Sydney Australia only have downtown with photogrammetry.

If I’m being unbiased, I would put UK cities ahead of Dallas. Multiple UK cities only have their downtown areas with photogrammetry. UK is filled with hardcore Aviation fans from my experience and plus there are a lot of castles and old buildings all throughout the UK and many listed cities with photogrammetry miss out on this.

While I would prefer Dallas over Sydney Australia, Sydney probably is a bigger deal to Australia than Dallas is to USA. Plus Sydney already has the downtown, so they’d just need to extend it further.

It’s funny if you look at the progression of my post regarding no photogrammetry with Dallas, it starts out as angry complaints right…

Then I just try to be more matter of fact…

Then I downgrade to not asking for photogrammetry, just wanting to know why…

And now, as you can see with how much I have fallen in love with the sim, I don’t even care what Dallas did to Jorg/Asobo, I just automatically side with Jorg/Asobo that Dallas did something and doesn’t deserve to be in the sim.

2 Likes

Heya, just to clarify - it wasn’t you, it was a thread at release.

But even then, my comment wasn’t a criticism of anyone, just an amusing memory from 2020ish. My apologies if the OP of the thread I referred to pops i here and takes it personally :slight_smile:

3 Likes

at the very least they could improve the aerials and have blackshark do a better job. Some of the ‘new PG cities’ are already PG like San Antonio and Austin. Is Houston on the ‘new’ list? its got PG – just not at the airports.

its definitely weird.

1 Like

Did you see the presentation at Flightsim Expo where they talked about a new way of generating textures for landscapes? Wonder if any of that will help with city scapes.

I saw the Friday initial presentation but nothing else. I don’t know if there’s much difference between what blackshark already does and the ‘3d from 2d’. maybe it just got a lot better at it? still though, not much reason for Dallas to deny flyover rights to get the PG… I can’t see any other reason we don’t have it.

This is my hope :slight_smile:

1 Like

“Now, a special Texas city update, yet still…no Dallas.”

Hi

Is this in marketplace?

Hi,

There is a Dallas City addon freeware scenery available on flightsim.to.

1 Like

I believe Jorg said it would be released on the 29th of this month. (City Update Texas)

3 Likes

A bit off-topic, but any idea why the nation’s capital is not in photogrammetry? Shouldn’t that be an even higher priority than Dallas?

1 Like

Sometimes photogrammetry extends beyond the city they are listed. Arlington and Baltimore have photogrammetry, are you sure Washington doesn’t?

Regardless, Dallas has half a million more population and DC has multiple POI. Do both but if can only do one, I’d suggest Dallas.

Maybe “They” want it released by a third party in the marketplace.
That way they do not have to spend employee $$ coding and still get a revenue return from the marketplace. Ya think ?