The 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny

Seems he was faster than me.
Didn’t search for a fix.

I enjoyed and missed the Jenny from FS9, and am glad to have it back again! It’s not the easiest plane to see out of, but that should improve with the coming adjustments to heat blur.

1 Like

Will the fish eye lens effect be toned down in the upcoming update?

I’m in newest SU11/40th beta V1.29.29.0 and the 1915 Curtiss JN-4 Jenny still causes loud noises in other planes so I had to remove this plane to fix loud bad sound noises.

The A310 too loud sound engines noises is fixed.

Only the A310 base build was pushed out in the Beta.

Awesome link! Really enjoyed reading through it. If I’m understanding correctly, they were plugging the holes in the mixture valve to maintain full rich at all times. So the in-game Jenny’s mixture should either be completely inoperative (IE, not killing the engine when full lean, and labeled inop), or it should function like a regular mixture control. Right now it’s in an odd middle ground which is probably not simulated properly.

1 Like

Any good resources on how best to fly this thing, considering the lack of gauges? I guess it’s all sight picture for best climb rate, and setting RPM for best cruise?

It’s trimmed to fly at about 53 knots, hence I use that as both cruise and climb speed. You know you are flying steady at 53 knots when it’s not trying to pitch up or down when you let go of the stick! In level flight this seems to happen at circa 1050-1100 RPM. It’s perfectly feasible to put it in hands off level flight with just the sight picture, the RPM gauge and altimeter (though P.S. it will still be twitchy in roll, so you need pedals to maintain attitude and heading if you really want to fly it hands off).

1 Like

A compass mod has been released by @Sal1800 with two different types of compass and a clock! They also removed the heat blur.

Same modder also released this rather nice old racing plane a while back that you might also like

3 Likes

Wow, that’s quite a mod! That’s exactly what I hoped for in an update for the plane. Thanks, @Sal1800 !

1 Like

I can confirm that the engine temperature can rise significantly when taxiing slow on the ground with engine quite a bit above idle. In my case it took a littel time to cool down in flight, so ot seems to work.

3 Likes

Perfect, thanks for feeding back

1 Like

I am glad this was added, it is such a nice gift. The modelling is incredibly detailed and I don’t know why there are critiques of the textures because they are very nice as well.

I think flight sims can create some “speed addiction” but it is nice every now and then to fly a slow plane and take in the sights. It has never been better than this sim!

A compass is nice to have, but you also need a good map. I don’t know if anyone is looking for old maps, so if you can have something like little nav map on another screen, that could work.

I got lucky to find an amazing reference photo of an actual period compass to model from, so that is a nice bonus.

10 Likes

That’s exactly what I did earlier today. A nice flight over France just navigating by map and eyes. It’s great fun to fly super low and slow and having a good look at the forests, roads, rivers and villages. Circling over a town and making sure that the layout of the roads matches up with what you see on the map and marking your position on each positive fix.

5 Likes

I like keeping this site up in a second window to use as a “paper map”. It’s a pretty basic map, which I like for old-school VFR, and it’s got most of the world’s airports on it:
https://ourairports.com/world.html

3 Likes

Excellent flight model mod. I can fly her just like on the YouTube videos now.

Microsoft JN-4 Jenny Realism Mod » Microsoft Flight Simulator

4 Likes

With all the planes coming online and growing in complexity, I find I’m having the most fun flying the Jenny around in VR (Reverb G2). It’s the best for sightseeing. I know this is going to sound silly, but I have a small fan I position to blow into my face. Talk about adding to the immersion. Just call me The Great Waldo Pepper. LOL (I just saw on the flightsim.to site that someone did Waldo’s livery. Great)

5 Likes

I flew the Jenny the other day. I had previously dismissed it because it is very slow.
But it was indeed fun to fly. I can see myself using this every now and then for short hops in my local area which has a lot of grass fields.

1 Like

It took me while to get my first flight in the Jenny, but it’s beautiful, and a wonderful low and slow aircraft.
Not a lot of textures for it yet, so I am working on a few:
5151 (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

6226t (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

daugherty (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

12 Likes

Jenny is perfect for flying low and slow over photogrammetry areas. And so much fun in stronger winds, very lively.

2 Likes