The 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

MS owns the code, the model, the textures, the sounds, everything. We gave up the rights to any and all of the Beaver… including update, fixes, mods what have you.

And so, I reiterate: Should you wish to have fixes, mods, changes and or additions to this product, please direct your attention and questions to MS.

12 Likes

So,

Microsoft contracted you to make a piece of art for them.

Y’all made the piece of art and gave it to Microsoft. And Microsoft fulfilled their end of the contract. That contract is now completed.

It is now their art. You made it. They bought it, and gave a copy to everyone.

If they want to change their art, it is up to them to either make changes themselves, or contract y’all, the artist, to make changes as requested.

In any case, it is now up to the client, Microsoft to decide if any changes need to be made, and how to go about getting those changes made.

You don’t sell someone a sculpture, give it to them, take their money, then show up at their house unexpectedly with a chisel expecting to be allowed to make the changes you now suddenly want to make!

It is no longer the artist’s sculpture.

1 Like

Something is wrong here - the float version has the exact same cruise speed, range and endurance?

Are the float weight & drag not really modelled when airborne?

Or I’m hoping this just a cosmetic issue in the selection menu?

3 Likes

Did you try flying both and comparing the performance?

DHC-2 Beaver is my favorite plane of the 40th Anniversary Edition, with the A310 a very close second. There is so much good with this update, I am at a loss for words and the value proposition that MSFS brings is truly awe-inspiring. MS/Asobo, thank you for getting me back into Flight Sims after a long hiatus. Since the launch in 2020, you’ve given me a reason to get back into this hobby. You’re all awesome! Thank you! Merci!

6 Likes

I want to agree, but I’m feeling pretty disappointed as an xbox player. The aircraft they gave us for free is great, but with it came a lot of issues that have already been addressed by Asobo. I just want to have a single update where something doesn’t completely break. Flying around after SU10 was amazing. Now I have no incentive. It’s like flying around in a world built in early 2000’s graphics and textures.

1 Like

I’m not flying at the moment, got a sick kid.
I’m asking because someone else probably already knows.

@xalkav - Not very practical to add new panel gauge to distributed airplane.
I know of no tool that can load the compiled panel textures for editing.

But EGT and fuel flow could be added to Shift+Z Stats » Microsoft Flight Simulator
Maybe make request to @AmbitiousPilots in
Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums

1 Like

Didn’t Black Square exactly do that?

So does that mean that Blackbird now has nothing to do with the Beaver? Will it be Microsoft that will make updates? Inibuilds and Bluemesh are continuing their support for their aircraft, so it would be a bit odd if it you did cut all strings with the Beaver.

1 Like

Blacksquare removed the entire panel shipped with the plane and built a total new replacement. Making small edit to existing panel is not supported by existing tools. Deliberately according to SDK - to prevent piracy.
Exterior model is more accessible for liveries and wheel switch.
It would be useful to moders if someone figured out a method to edit panel.

1 Like

It seems from looking at the DHC-2 POH that one can find for download, that there are in addition to Full Rich and Full Lean positions, Auto Rich and Auto Lean. But there are clearly those which operate manually, as was the one that I rode in the right seat in 2011. Here is a video of one showing the same controls as the one we have in the 40th, manual operation.

BTW, the one in the 40th can be leaned using the CHT keeping just on the green side of the red line, cross checking with engine instruments for power output.

There is this one, not perfect but is from original developers [https://milviz.com/Online_products/Manuals/MilViz_DHC2_Pilot's_Manual_v1.02.pdf]

4 Likes

Hi all,
I have testing the Beaver, but you CANNOT lean by using the CHT. The temperature doesn’t change when decreasing mixture; it should go up. I have been looking in the engine cfg from the beaver, and these are the lines concerning the cht:
cht_tuning_constant=1
cht_cooling_constant=0.65
cht_liquid_max_cooling=250
cht_heating_constant=980
cht_tc=0.015
rpm_on_cht_table=0.200000:0.780000, 1.000000:1.000000
I don’t knw what they do and if the behavior of the cht is changable…
Maybe somebody can shed some light?

Kaha300d, thanks for the fuel flow scalar, the fuel flow is now in line with the cruise power chart.
Thanks!!

1 Like

Regarding leaning, I’ve had some success using the ground speed indicator of the GNS 430/530 unit. It’s an easy to read and fast reacting display compared to the main speed indicator. The obvious downsides are that you have to opt to use the GNS which is not everyone’s cup of tea on a classic plane like this, and that speed is not the best gauge because many things can affect it.

Same here! Glad to know it isn’t just me. I’ve tried everything I can think of to get it to work. No joy. Quick view is important if you’re going to fly a nice, neat pattern.

3 Likes

Yeah, the quickview issue has been keeping me from flying the Beaver very much. It seems like a phenomenal addition to the sim, but I need my quickviews.

2 Likes

I never used the quickviews. For each new aircraft I fly I define 10 custom views that I use (mapped to buttons).

2 Likes

Leaving Victoria Docks for a Sunshine Coast Air flight to Vancouver Harbour (real world route).

15 Likes