The 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

I’m having issues with the autopilot myself. It holds heading just fine but I can’t get the Alt hold to work at all. I must be missing something

1 Like

I have only used the retrofit version so far, but I haven’t had any problems with it. After setting the altitude, turn off Alt Hold mode and adjust VS instead. For me the aircraft could climb/descend to the desired altitude and held it accurately.

I have no idea how the classic variant works, or if it has an AP at all.

1 Like

I’d be interested too. Leaning didn’t have a big effect unless pulled all the way out. Also no difference in CHT I could spot on the gauge in the lower middle section of the cockpit.

1 Like

Never flown the Beaver in real life, but is it supposed to move by itself on the ground on idle power and max t/o weight? The same happens in the DC-3 also.

1 Like

Loving the Beaver, a plan I will use plenty going forward! Just a really well-made plan :smiley:

5 Likes

Really getting into the Beaver (that didn’t sound right…). Wish we had an option to go with the original radios / instruments. Also, to second what others have said, is there any kind of resource out there on the operation of this aircraft?

1 Like

Really enjoying the Beaver! :smile:

1 Like

Hi all. If you are a fan of Harbour Air (the airline from Vancouver that has a fleet of seaplanes), please vote here at flighstim.to to request someone to make the Harbour Air livery for the DHC-2 Beaver, which is actually flown by Harbour Air in real life: Harbour Air DHC-2 Beaver | Requested by tankjohnson | Flightsim.to

I would love to see the Harbour Air livery for the Beaver! Thanks!

4 Likes

Let me ask you: where I can find the real routes of Harbour Air? Thank you.

1 Like

Hello,

very nice plane but feels more sensitive with elevator control compared to ailerons. Some changes in Sensitivity I did for good looking feeling but very good aircraft indeed.

Hi, you can find some Harbour Air routes at Vancouver Harbour Seaplane Base (CXH/CYHC) | Arrivals, Departures & Routes | Flightradar24

YB is the IATA code for Harbour Air.

2 Likes

DHC-2 Beaver: Quickeviews are incorrect. View doesn’t look in the direction of the hatswitch.

3 Likes

Extremely nice and enjoying it very much.

3 Likes

I use Fsuipc (registered version) to show EGT in a window.

To me, this is the best aircraft of the update. To be fair, it is the one I was most anticipating, but I wasn’t disappointed. It is better than I expected.

5 Likes

So some liveries have autopilot and others don’t? I flew with it yesterday but didn’t see any autopilot.

Do we know what engine Blackbird have modelled the plane as using as the fuel consumption seems very high compared to the P&W Wasp Junior R-985 numbers I have to hand.

Also have they modelled auto-lean which is why the mixture lever doesn’t do anything till it’s pulled back to cut-off ?

1 Like

per real Beaver pilots, you don’t bother unless you’re over 5000’ :wink:

the guy i flew with IRL did lean it out though…

can’t - only power off… :confused:

1 Like

My feelings too!

Also, this one is available on Xbox! Other MilViz offerings are held up by WASM issues. So no 310, Corsair, or Porter on that platform. And this lovely plane has elements of all three.

The hat switch views are a slight annoyance, but it isn’t the only new plane with this issue so I wonder if that is even their fault.

And I too still struggle to figure out how to properly lean this bird, so I go a bit by feel right now instead of by instrument. I don’t know what I am missing, or if I am just impatient and am not waiting for the proper heats to reflect in the gauges. This might be a ME problem as I still only have a few hours in the plane.

Besides that? My biggest issue with the Beaver is it is SO much better than the other propeller airplanes given to us in this update, it kinda outclasses them… and that might prevent me from flying the others as much as I would have if the Beaver was a less complete offering. I’m serious. And having options for modern navigation and autopilot that work on PC and Xbox, with or without external hardware give this plane utility SO many other bush planes lack in sim.

This is full of options and bells and whistles lacking in other stock planes, and really puts its peers in sim to shame. When MilViz said this Beaver would not be, “Full fat” I expected options in line with other stock planes. Instead, it just lacks some very high end features like random failures and the skins getting dirty over time. And of course, there would likely have been snow and tundra variations in a payware version. But it has far more options available than other comparable stock planes. And the Beaver’s primary use to this day is amphibious.

The unsung hero of this model? The floats! They add retractable gear and water rudders into the mix, and sit the plane upright on the ground which feels correct. Who wants yet another tail dragger bush plane when you could land in any pond in Alaska instead?

Also, a tip. There is a manual at the MilViz website for a prior version of this plane for another sim. But it will give you proper RPM settings and MP for things like takeoff, climb, and cruise.

Way to go Blackbird/MilViz! You showed everyone what is possible in a stock plane. Sure, there’s a few small fixes that will improve this bird further, but it is already in a league of its own. And it easily competes with planes selling for $30 or more… and outclasses many of them!

22 Likes