The 1947 Havilland DHC-2 Beaver

I’m hoping they can improve the AI autogen scenery to include docks w collision, which would give us a lot more places to pull into on lakes and rivers.

It’d be great to get some 3rd party scenery at high quality - but I think it’s a niche market until flying off the water is more fun / realistic.

1 Like

I think I encountered a conflict with the WT 430/530 which caused the autopilot to become unreliable and it was really hard to catch my target altitude without a lot of extra effort.

When I remove the WT mod, things work as expected again.

Series X.

I’ve never known an airplane to have a warning about low fuel tanks (other than the engine conking out).

But I don’t fly these newfangled planes, so maybe they do?

It should actually be saying “Beaver”.

Hmm, guess you need to fly more. Lots of planes have low fuel warning systems.

2 Likes

So in the EFB there is an anchor option, I am assuming this is so I can “anchor” on the water to stop me drifting. Problem is its greyed out on my EFB thus not clickable. Any ideas?

Hi, quit the engine, and you can use the anchor.

3 Likes

Am I missing something there seems to be no pitch trim wheel/ indicator in the Beaver cockpit. Also what are the 3 rotary controls below the throttle , prop and mixture controls

Rotary controls are friction controls/tensioners for the respective handles. Notice that as you turn them clockwise, the control handles shake and rattle less and less.

3 Likes

The trim indicators and wheels are on the ceiling.

3 Likes

DOH thanks very much. Don’t know how I missed that as I use TrackIR. Too much time looking outside the cockpit :slight_smile:

It took me a while to find them with Track IR too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely love, love this plane, but my god that window tint - its like those old 1950s film filters where they’d film in daylight and pretend its night! :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m not used to flying taildraggers. Up til now I’ve avoided them.
Your suggestion worked: I am very gradually increasing throttle.
Although I still experience some jerkiness - I now have much more control during takeoff, and find rudder control more manageable.
TY

I’m having problems adjusting the carb air lever. Every time I try to adjust carb air the lever goes back to cold. It’s like there’s a hardware binding interfering with it but I can’t find any when I search for it in the control settings

Is there any POH or reference to power settings during the various flight phases? Right now I am just winging it :sweat_smile:

It’s equally important to manually control the attitude. The moment you lift the tail (or rather, the moment you lower the propeller) you get hit with the gyroscopic precession which will want to wobble your aircraft towards the left. By manually controlling it you can better predict it.

The rudder trim is more of a preference thing, but if you follow those instructions exactly you should hardly need rudder at all at 2 knot wind. Maybe a slight touch of right after or while increasing the manifold pressure to 25, another touch of right while you lift the tail, after that depending on wind direction it’s either bit of right, neutral or even bit of left.

It’s engine 1 (gradual) anti-ice.

4 Likes

Thanks for all the tips. I’m applying them to my takeoffs.
From here on its practice, practice, practice. Flying a taildragger is a different experience.

Until now my favourite aircraft was the C310. There is something about this developer (Blackbird) I really like.

Good to know. Is there a change in RPM as well? Don’t see it on the gauge. But the audible pitch of the sound seems to change a little bit. Tested on 7000 feet.

Edit: Sorry, doesn’t show quote. Talking about leaning the mixture.

newb q: can anyone say what the proper rpm and manifold pressure is for cruise? (just ballpark).