The 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules

i also use the X52 with default setting, quickview are right… Did you try it on other aicrafts ?

I’ve tried every aircraft offered by the game. Quickview is horrible.
Have you tried uppind a DC-3 and looking around using the Quickview setting? Not the default hatswitch setting.

I love the water splash effect of the H-4, however the outer floats need the threshold to be fine tuned as the effect often doesn’t activate even tho the float is “in the water”.

I hope this effect will one day be applied to all the seaplanes.

I’m curious why theres only 4 throttles where is the real aircraft has 8 but I guess its a sim limitation just like how you start the engines two at a time

As you can see on this archive photo from November 2, 1947, the cockpit is quite different, with 4 throttle levers. The actual model of the H-4 Hercules in Flight Simulator corresponds to the one of 1947, the first flight. That’s why it looks more simplified, but in fact it was at that time.

For the management of 8 engines, it happens, the simulator does not manage more than 4 engines yet.

7 Likes

I remember reading somewhere that the four throttles on each side were not redundant but instead each set controlled the engines on that side. However, I am unable to find with Google where I read it. It may have been a documentary.

I was wondering if that was the case when I tried the Spruce Goose out yesterday and was messing about with various controls. Same limitation as with FSX which is a shame. Nice work on this, the Wright Flyer and the Spirit of St. Louis btw!

1 Like

very interesting so the movie got in wrong I really enjoy flying it The Aviator (6/6) Movie CLIP - The Spruce Goose Flies (2004) HD - YouTube

spruce goose by the spruce goose cafe in wellington :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

the movie went off the cockpit that is in the spruce goose in irl i think they might have changed the cockpit between 1947 and 1976 when Howard Hughes died but i’m unsure i use to go to the air museum that the irl spruce goose is at all the time but yeah the movie was wrong

1 Like

I didn’t really have much expectations for this, thought it would be something I might never fly, but after flying it I have to admit it was quite fun and compelling flying this big lumbering beast with so many engines. A very relaxing and magical experience flying this, I’ll definitely be flying it more than I thought I would.

3 Likes

I know it never happened. But IF the plane had been officially produced also for the passengers sector… (something like the Martin Mars); Would it be possible to add perhaps a few fictional liveries??? … Just to have some less “first of its kind” moods? To have a sort of “what if…” feeling?

2 Likes

Something like this could have been very impressive:

6 Likes

Exactly! I see myself skimming the terrain in areas like north Canada, Norway etc. It looks and feels like a journey in time.

Shouldn’t take long until we’ll see some in flightsim dot to (assuming you’re on PC)

2 Likes

It is sad that the poor giant never got a chance. It’s hardly any more improbable an aircraft that the highly flammable, slow, space-limited Zepplins of only a decade earlier.

I have to say, the views out of the beast’s cockpit are great. A new option for all of us low and slow fliers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Second this. A cooperative mode with flight engineer, first officer, even navigator would be amazing. Would need all of those systems to be fully-functional, of course.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, are you considering changing this whenever Asobo unlocks the engine limitation? At least I know they wanted to do that at some point :slight_smile:

Also, feel free to use above posted adjustments on the light system and the ATC and imaginary ICAO improvements I posted if you plan to update the H4 anytime in future. :wink:

Been flying this a lot. Here are a few of my tips:
-Set a momentary switch on your peripheral of choice to the propeller control using Propeller Increase (Small) and Propeller Decrease (Small). Mirrors the switch the prototype has.
-You only need to map the throttles with levers. I use a Honeycomb Bravo and have mapped 1-4 to one throttle and 5-8 on the other. I can use mouse control if I need more split throttles.
-Surface maneuvers require <10kots. The ability of the Hercules to crash into water while on water at low speeds is amazing. Anything less the straight ahead low speed is key. And don’t try and use the ailerons to keep the floats out of the water in the process. It makes it worse.
-Be aware of your step speed and how to manage above it.
-Take a lot of photos!

I will also add,

• Use diff power for low speed steering on water. Modulating power on outboard engines is perfect for tight turns.

In this video/documentary it clearly shows 8 throttles in the H-4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soU12YfVHUg

In addition to the Severus response, the cabin were way simplistic than today as you can see here:

4 Likes