The 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules

This looks absolutely amazing! Yes, exactly what I had in mind. I hope some of the highly tallented livery-makers out there create something like that

I wish the plane had a working autopilot, at least with altitude hold and heading hold function.

3 Likes

A tablet/clipboard ( I donā€™t know yet if Iā€™ll stay on the clipboard or add a tabletā€¦) with autopilot will be added, Iā€™m noting all your feedback. Most of them will be added/corrected.

10 Likes

Yes, as soon as the limitation is lifted, I will add the 8 engines. Thanks for your feedbacks on the green navigation light and the ATC improvement, it will be fixed in the next update :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Glad to help and I really appreciate the work already went into this magnificent aircraft - thank you for this :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought this would be fun:
Herc006 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

but I canā€™t get rid of the civil registration for some reason:
Herc005 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

itā€™s not in the textures, Iā€™ve replaced the atc_id with a space and with a dot in the aircraft.cfg, but no luck. Thereā€™s no decal with it either, or none that I could find, so where is this registration coming from? Any help would be appreciated!

2 Likes

Here is an artists rendering I pulled from one of my books. Looks to be in the Pacific Theater.

in the texture folder, replace: ā€œlivery_temp.pngā€ by a completly transparent one :wink:

1 Like

that worked, thank you!

H-4 008 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

H-4 002 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

7 Likes

@BlueMesh3192 were the engines on the H4 turning different on each wing?
I ask because I notice they do on your recreation :wink: on the left wing the props turn CW, on the right they rotate CCW.

Would be nice if they did irl to counteract the momentum.

Thatā€™s the coolest thing Iā€™ve seen. Well done! @pby5a

I think they rotate the same way, clockwise.

Yep, looks like - so that might be a small issue caused by mirroring :wink:

1 Like

@BlueMesh3192 is there a way to stop the plane from moving on the water in the trailer i saw buoys connected to the plane but i canā€™t seem to make it stop turning the left when sat idle on the water unless i go into slew mode no matter if i press my parking brake button on my yoke so i ask if there a way to park the plane so it doesnā€™t move on the water while iā€™m starting it up?

This is actually a really interesting point. IRL the aircraft would move once engines were started. The H-4 manual details anchoring and mooring for engine start and run up then releasing once those were complete. In watching the movies take on the day of the flight the aircraft was towed out and the engines started well away from the dry dock on Terminal Island it was moored in. It appears that they taxied on four then six engines. So the experience in MSFS is correct. With APU power there is no need for engine start until we are ready to taxi. When you do start the engines I found starting 5-6, and 3-4 close together tends to balance out the tendency to yaw in one direction. Then the outboards can be started next. On four engines and low pitch the ship barely moves. Hope that helps.

Just to add, you should usually start the engines on the side closest to shore first so that when you do yaw, you yaw towards open water.

1 Like

i shouldā€™ve probably made it more clear in my last post but Iā€™m not only talking about the engine start but mainly just sitting in the water cold and dark as the issue Iā€™m having is my plane keeps turning the left and sometimes backwards when the engines arenā€™t on but when i get the engines started it just put the plane in a place that you canā€™t really taxi out as the H-4 doesnā€™t turn that quickly even with differential thrust unless you apply full throttle to one side but idk i just think it would be nice to have a option to have buoys so the plane doesnā€™t drift away but thanks for your input

1 Like

Navy (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Navy (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Navy (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

Navy (0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

5 Likes

The buoys were only for decoration. But Iā€™m planning to add them with a real anchor system. I think that your problem is actually the wind. The physics of amphibious aircraft has remained the same since FS2002. I think that with a very low wind it should solve your problem while waiting for the anchor system.

Have a great week end :slight_smile:

4 Likes