The 1947 Hughes H-4 Hercules

Given the Hercules was meant to be a cargo aircraft, where are the cargo doors?

I’ve looked at photos and have yet to discover how this plane was meant to be loaded/unloaded.

Any insights?

Not at all sure if this is accurate. But in the opening sequence of the game L.A. Noire, they show Mr. Hughes as well as the Hercules like this… But as I said, I have sadly no clue if this is accurate or not…

2 Likes

That was the plan. There are models that depict this. The doors themselves were built. However they were not installed. The aircraft we have and see is a prototype in the truest form. And Hughes has said on record multiple times that it was a research aircraft and not one designed for eventual production.
Spruce Goose Howard Hughes Evergreen Aviation Museum (12)

3 Likes

Great job on this one Asobo !!!

Wasn’t expecting too much but the moment you’re in the cockpit feels like you’re in the move or back in 1947 .

Agree with other comments above that it would be nice if there were a couple of water airports with moorings to start this thing cold and dark without requiring any mods or tricks.

Do you know which particular mods provide water mooring / parking ?

I tried searching flightsim.to with keywords ‘water’ and ‘parking’ or 'mooring and got nothing.

Try searching for ‘seaplane’ or ‘floatplane’ and you’ll find a few. The search on .to is not great and doesn’t search the descriptions, just the title and tags and not all modders use tags or will specify its a floatplane airport in the title.

There’s also the collection of stuff on Return to Misty Moorings which has tons of small floatplane docks with parking covering dozens of cabins in southern Alaska plus some more floatplane bases dotted about. Return to Misty Moorings - FS2020 Home Page
Although maybe small bush lake runways aren’t the most ideal thing for the Spruce Goose :wink:

2 Likes

Hi there, you may consider this addon on Flightsim.to:

I have yet to explore it but seems to me a wonderful effort to allow exploring MSFS world on seaplanes and amphibians

Happy flights!

2 Likes

If you want to start it cold and dark in the middle of the Arizona desert, I put this together for my own purposes and threw it on flightsim.to in case any other weirdos want to fly it from reservoir to reservoir: 91AZ - Windy Hill SPB, Roosevelt Lake, Arizona » Microsoft Flight Simulator

2 Likes

I completely missed this one, thanks for posting it!

1 Like

For all interested; Novawing24 did an amazing job and created a TWA livery

2 Likes

Big fan of this one. Long beach has a runway and two parking spaces.

Please keep improving this aircraft, its fantastic. It’s important piece of aviation history that now has been preserved forever in MSFS.

2 Likes

Is there a way to get the buoys to show up when you are sitting there with the engines off? I saw in one of the intro videos it showed a yellow buoy, I know its just decoration but it would be cool for screen shot purposes. :slight_smile: Also what are the blocks that appear on the wing pontoons when you have all power off?

1 Like

The blocks support the pontoons Saves the wings from supporting the weight while at rest. When they moved it out of it’s hanger and into the dome in 1980 they also used the blocks. I’ve included a picture where I have highlighted them.
tumblr_inline_pooqe167Nw1ut7pn7_1280

1 Like

Since it can fly so far it should have a autopilot.

1 Like

I’ll add this to the list :wink:

1 Like

I hope I do not get skewered for posting this here but here i try …I feel we are amongst friends with a shared passion The day i found out The Hercules was coming out …i started to work on this Tribute film. Silly unspoken thing in this film is that it was my first time flying the plane EVER in the sim. I wanted to capture that initial reaction. This has to be the most stable aircraft ever made ! WOW .

6 Likes

I was wondering why you have these water effects that keep appearing when the plane has left the water? Did you add a mod?
This is the third time I see this bug but it is not supposed to appear if you don’t touch the aircraft code.

1 Like

I didn’t do or add anything. I was very bothered to see it also…glad to know it is bug. Maybe it conflicts with something else in my community folder …?

can you send me a list of the addons you have in your community? Do you use another addon that uses my water effects? the DHC/DC3 action pack maybe ?

1 Like