The broken 225/03 wind discussion thread [Extremely Concerning]

Ah, sorry if it came across wrong. Yet to set my wireshark and fiddler upon msfs. Can I be the naive cheerleader and say thank you all for the genuine technical input without being flamed by everyone else?

1 Like

@s3p1r0t4 ooo good question, I can check. Back in a few minutes! lol

1 Like

A flight sim forum should be respite from delusional conspiracy theories. Cmon guys. GD.

1 Like

@TropicoE you didnā€™t come across wrong at all :slightly_smiling_face: .

You can never be too careful when you ask someone something hereā€¦

2 Likes

No, anything you say in the interwebs is interpreted as a personal attack anytime anywhere :smiley:

Esp when the tension around here is already pretty tight I get it :dizzy_face:

1 Like

You know, this might sound completely unrelated, but I canā€™t help to think how easy it would be to get this wrong just based on where a server is deployed ā€¦

Is it possible that all broken regions somehow use either , instead of . Or Ā° in different Unicode variants?

1 Like

The transition from the US to Europe was noticeable. As I flew from Quebec, to Greenland, then Iceland, there was a bit where the aircraft was almost blown on its side as my 3kt wind turned into a 51kt crosswind!

1 Like

Looks like its using 1 server, I switched from East to West and didnā€™t change the weather production server. I donā€™t see anything that indicates this would change either as there is no region or anything passed to get the data. I will say it does come from the playfabapi.com servers so this very well could be country specific but the URL provided by the server doesnā€™t give a specific region for the WX server and is just a standard URL. weather.prod.kittyhawk which also seems to be the codename for FS2020 :wink: .

1 Like

I usually feel better after Iā€™ve broken wind.

Flying over Southern USA this evening, wind is not as stated - itā€™s about 080 at ā€¦ yes ā€¦ 3kts!

Wish that was an easy way to fix, already have that feature off and still not working.

Oddā€¦ weather.prod.kittyhawk is a SOA record with no matching A records. U sure this url is used or did I misunderstand and itā€™s actually playfabapi.com?

If you are using fiddler do u have the IP of the weather api query made by msfs?

I didnā€™t give the full URL :man_facepalming:, it is: weather.prod.kittyhawk.msgamestudios.com

Edit: You canā€™t actually monitor the kittyhawk server traffic in fiddler, most likely FS2020 uses certificate pinning to prevent snooping, but Iā€™ve been able to run a local server and see what URLs the game is trying to reach for these APIā€™s by simply pointing the domain to my local machine.

1 Like

Alright. Thatā€™s the same azure service worldwide residing in westus2 :frowning: so not an issue with different servers serving the data. Ripā€¦ also westus2 is the worst choice but thatā€™s neither here nor there.

1 Like

Guys, donā€™t give up. I have a blush face bet going on!

I too do not like us west servers but mine comes from AWS, but good to know that its universal across brands.

I personally donā€™t mind as itā€™s really close to me, but itā€™s pretty bad for most folks worldwide as I assume most players are either Europe or US. Good for folks in APACā€¦ No idea why they wouldnā€™t have the data globally available tho. Takes a little glitch in a single site and msfs has no weather worldwide (lot of conjecture as there are other ways to be resilient without DNS balancing) but still ā€¦ Weird.

1 Like

Yeah I thought they would at least balance it by region, us east, us west, UK, APAC etc. but what makes it even worse is this:
1 auth server
1 DRM server
1 weather server
CDN for weather files (the Globe map)
CDN for METARs

While they are load balanced (no doubt about it) that is several 1 point failures for the whole game to be down.

2 Likes

Donā€™t call me Mr. Scorpion, Itā€™s Mr. Scorpio. But donā€™t call me that either