The broken 225/03 wind discussion thread [Extremely Concerning]

So gentlemen, are we effed? :laughing:

Possibly. I never saw a real way client side (read from end user) to fix this.

1 Like

Thank you VERY much!! Greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Pretty much. :rofl: I don’t think Asobo would give a total stranger access to their code to fix it :dizzy_face: .

1 Like

Now Now Now!

Now Now Now!

Now Now Now Nuh Now Now Nuh Now!

marches down street still chanting

Thank you both. Let’s all laugh not to arise any suspicion haha

1 Like

Ahaha.

Laughing time is over. Where is my wind.

1 Like

Somewhere between a comma and a space to be frank
 In a way.
Edits: my phone can’t spell

My uneducated view is - the long ping times nowadays are not bone breaking. The outside resources are called by domain right? So in principle, in case of failure you just change the IP and presto - new server

And just in case the weather is indeed served by one server - that’s the local server overload out of the window (in case it was not obvious before) and more points to in-sim bug

1 Like

Yup yup, ruling out what it cant be is still considered progress in my line of work :smiley:

Yea, Domain changes in case of failure are fairly quick. And latency shouldn’t matter with weather data. It’s hourly anyways right? So 200 or 500 or 1000ms make little difference to end users.

They matter to server load but meh asobos problem so IDC

I mean we can speculate about server loads. It’s always loads of fun when we have little idea. But I didn’t think Azure is cracking under pressure to be honest. Content retrieval being based on FQDNs is no doubt prudent idea. But what we’re all thinking and not saying is - unlike xp and fsx of years before - if Microsoft shuts the servers, the SIM is pretty much gone

Same in mine lol, but we got bugsnag and PHP logs. Those two tell you point blank where you effed up. Apples and oranges in the scheme of things.

1 Like

When you take it personally that people respond to your arguments. You should stop debating things. Nobody is attacking you. You aren’t entitled to have everyone universally agree with you. And to call it “aggressive” when people merely don’t agree, and explain why in a structured and logical way, That’s not a good look.

3 Likes

Request load should be pretty reasonable given how infrequently weather would need to be queried (flight start, then inside a radius as you move and maybe ever 30min+ after?)

Even with 1mil active players that’s still only ~500-1000 requests ever, second and maybe multiplied if the api is unable to get multiple METARs in a single request.

A single region should be more than capable esp if the data is only caches and basically a KV lookup.

But same as live weather in xp or fsx if the server goes, so goes the real weather, this time around it’s at least for now behind a MS server which is both fortunate and unfortunate depending how you look at it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Can we close this off? It has been acknowledged, so we have the answer.

1 Like

I’d wait for them to acknowledge it in known issues. Why even have that page if they won’t put issues on there? Seems a little disingenuous to withhold that info for 10d or not even bothering to investigate for themselves. Any quality engineer or developer could have identified its an issue is fairly quick. Something as simple as “there are occurrences of pilots not seeing real wind. Root cause unifentified.”

1 Like

Zendesk and their stated issues have no relation to their internal tracker. Forum Mods have posted the team is aware further up this post which should be sufficient? Do u need it to be in a more visible place?

1 Like

Just placing it in their one page that has known issues would be great. Doesn’t have to be anything more than that. Then weekly updates on which issues they’re working on or what’s been “never’d” would be what’s expected on an ongoing basis.

This is the standard behavior for any developer or publisher that wants to be known for good post release support.

Lets see what their reasoning is behind this on Monday, but sounds like any reasoning they could provide has an obvious failure point in terms of production readiness and production support. Let’s see what they do with customer retention now that it’s pretty evident they did not staff correctly or put the right procdures in place to be a trusted developer/publisher and that this game will be more than just a niche product.