The broken 225/03 wind discussion thread [Extremely Concerning]

Indeed Wellington is not a hub, but in my simulated world it is Wellington.
I thought that a beta tester really test the program in all aspects.
I was for a couple of years, ok many years, beta tester for wilcopub and for the first B727. we got through a manuscript that consist of over 200 side. That what I call beta testing,
But we have to hope for better days, as I said at least the scenery is an icebreaking in simulation world.
Waiting for Rex,Fsdreamteam,FSlabs, Captainsim and Pmdg.
Regards

Really? That says a lot. That should have been the primary focus of the beta at least.

The (so called) Beta period was roughly two weeks long. You can do the math yourself, of how much it was focused on bug fixing. Just to give you a jump start:

• let testers try out the Beta build to discover and report bugs
  • look at their reports, discuss and prioritise them internally
  • develop fixes for the bugs
  • test the fixes internally
  • create a new build
  • test the new build internally if the fixes work in the context of all the other functionalities or whether they break something
  • deliver the new build to the Beta testers
  • repeat as necessary
  • create the GM build

All of this in roughly two weeks. And the bug reporting during Beta was just as efficient and let to similar results as with the whole Alpha phase IMO. I can’t even imagine the number of issues that have been reported over and over and over and over again, due to no communication or feedback at all towards the testers.

1 Like

That’s actually what bothers me the most. The process seemed to be setup properly. But if really basic flaws still make it in

It’s like they all wanted to work on the amazing stuff and forgot about the simple things (I mean, why if I save a flight plan with a cruising altitude of 27000 feet, it’s back to 41000 feet when I load it back in a next time?)

I can work around it all. No problem. But why? (rhetorical)

1 Like

Some of the weather issues might be related to loss of data from the server, but I found one location in Mexico where you can see the wind injection turn off/on just by flying north of a specific point, then turning around and flying back south of the same point, which does seem to indicate an in-sim bug.

I was able to repeat this on multiple flights on different days and times.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/repeatable-test-of-wind-data-vs-no-wind-data-in-live-weather/238033

4 Likes

Some of the weather issues might be related to loss of data from the server, but I found one location in Mexico where you can see the wind injection turn off/on just by flying north of a specific point, then turning around and flying back south of the same point, which does seem to indicate an in-sim bug.
I was able to repeat this on multiple flights on different days and times.

Same experience elsehere, Philippines weather work also Southbound up to Northern Australia, where it switches back to 3/225 again. It felt like passing a specific point as I turned back and forth.

“Good enough” in the sense that Asobo knew that they were facing a hard deadline of August 18th, had other more critical bugs that had to be fixed before release, and probably moved any known live weather bugs down the priority cue.

I don’t think it was (or is) their intention to leave any known issues with weather unfixed. It was probably a case of “too much to do, and not enough time to do it”.

1 Like

The correct winds are always available on the World Map prior to flight (if you turn on the wind effect filter), so I’ve always very much doubted it was an issue with data retrieval.

In all means, MSFS2020 will have a tuff future if they do not clean up the sim.
There are after all other sims with very good quality like Prepar3d and X-plane and with very good working 3rd party programs . So the time is tight for MSFS2020.
Regards

Every time I hear the term Zendesk I feel rage.

Edit : cleaned up slightly to not offend too many people.

Unnecessary hurdles and barriers between the community and the people who need the feedback, is all it sounds like to me.

Opens a ticket, it sits there, gets (probably manually) transported into an unknown internal ticketing system where all your details are lost in translation, mistyped or copy-pasted incorrectly by
 someone without sufficient knowledge of the material
 who does not know the sim or software development.

Now you’ve got an internal ticket - That you can’t even see, and it’s typically written wrong.

Now somebody who might know something about software needs to try and make sense of this mangled ticket in some garbage internal ticket system like Jira.

No wonder things take months to triage for a 5 minute code fix.

1 Like

I think you can stop it right there.

You think that’s not what happens? It’s Precisely what happens.

They could have fixed most of the Alpha issues. But they didn’t get useful, timely information.

Doesn’t matter: “c’est le ton qui fait la musique”, or roughly translated: “It’s all about your attitude”!

On topic: I actually do get valid wind data currently on a flight from Mumbai to Goa, right now
 for what it’s worth.

So for all those peole who cry “betrayal! betrayal!”: it’s a bug somewhere, yes! But bugs can be fixed. It’s not that a feature was promised and not delivered! Calm down everyone. Like the wind is calm in the USA :wink:

1 Like

I care more about results. I would never call someone on the team directly an idiot. It’s used figuratively here, to describe that the person put in charge of your information is not the correct person in that situation.

From a different perspective, do you not think that having all of the developers working through thousands of tickets, most of which will probably be reporting issues that have already been reported, would not be the most efficient way of working?

The ability to “triage” that zendesk provides, will allow a smaller number of team members to sift through the reports, collecting all of the information relevant to the devs, and that probably means getting rid of all of the emotional baggage, and merging that into a far smaller number of combined tickets on their internal system.

Whether that internal system is opened up to the world is another argument of course, but it would appear, for now at least, that this will not be happening.

1 Like

so i somehow managed to get live weather completely broken. Not sure how yet. I had EU live weather. Restarted the sim and no matter where i go it doesn’t work.

I also don’t see any weather requests being made using fiddler tho i do see telemetry events reporting my own weather back to MS. That would mean they at least have the data from everyone complaining (and those who do not actually) and it should show the deviation from the real weather

Gonna restart and see if i can get things back to real weather in the EU

By now I got live weather - including wind != 225/03 - in Europe, India (Mumbai to Goa) and South Africa.

South america ( at least lower part of mexico) is working as well, but Australia is not. I can’t see how this data is collected in the first place tho :frowning:

The Votes system is now active on the forums, for anyone experiencing these issues, suggest you make your way to the Bugs & Issues forum and upvote the issues you are seeing.

2 Likes

Perhaps Flightbeam or another reputable developer is going to add NZAA for free :interrobang:

Until then this remains a MAJOR blunder.

1 Like