The community fixes for aircraft are amazing, but is it right that they're needed?

I don’t know who you think you’re ranting at. No one is asking for multimillion dollar accuracy.

Stock aircraft should have roughly correct weights, fuel load, stall speeds, cruise speeds, and be statically and dynamically stable. Fuel burn/range should be roughly correct as well. They should be tuned to be flyable with typical flight sim controls (yokes and sticks) and the ‘feel’ should be roughly correct (roll and pitch rates at just a couple of combinations of airspeed and control deflection - say landing and cruise config). The avionics should be functional to where you can fly typical VFR and IRF procedures.

That’s what I would consider the minimum for a stock aircraft. It doesn’t have to have every system modeled, or hit every part of the performance envelope perfectly. But the big things that define the aircraft should be roughly correct and plausible.

Right now this is not true for many of the aircraft in the sim.

Rather them giving is platitudes about how we are all on some magic mystic journey together, I wish Asobo/MS would clearly write down what they think makes an acceptable stock aircraft like I did above…so we can all be on the same page.

3 Likes

Think I am a person, making a valid point about the need to define what a “Study Plane” is first, before it can be determined if any particular plane meets that criteria or not.

THAT’S WHO I KNOW I AM - thank you very much …!!

Who are you – I’m not asking, because I don’t care …

SO, you have Questions ??.. Go ask Asobo then … and GOOD LUCK :woozy_face:

You and the guy above you were the ones who brought “study-level” into the discussion so you’re essentially ranting at yourself. The rest of us were looking for functional planes. Take your straw-man and go elsewhere.

1 Like

My Apologies to the OP, if I wandered a little off topic …

I think it is Great that so many in the community have embraced Modding existing planes … Its what they seem to enjoy doing, and so actually do I.

Modding a PMDG model, is not something that many would attempt, but taking an old Clapped out C172, and fixing it up, repairing The GPS, and adding some new gauges , and a fresh coat of paint … That great fun … so I say “GO FOR IT”

Have Asobo got their plane “right” yet

OBVIOUSLY NO

But maybe they realize, that for the time being, they are “Good Enough” for a start, and are rightly concentrating on fixing other areas of the sim (and SDK), so 3rd party developers, who are most likely more knowledgeable about specific aircraft, can make the more “Complex” Planes that many want … and will pay extra to get. (and they will work in the Fixed Sim)

AT the end of the day, it’s all about $$$$s Sad maybe, but true.

As a very famous man once said “It’s not Personal – It’s Business”

I believe that the default aircraft (especially premium deluxe aircraft) should have been better upon release. While I don’t expect “study level” out of default aircraft the systems the decided to model should done correctly and on par with the competition. Virtually all are not.

It should not be the communities responsibility to correct obvious faults in basic systems.

I hope that Asobo fixes the default aircraft and the community can focus on upgrading adding new features not fixing existing ones.

1 Like

I want whatever simulator MS and ASOBO marketed, cause holy smokes that sounded like some really amazing stuff. The discovery series, the partnership programs, all the promises and ambitious marketing of the next gen realism. Holy smokes, I wonder when that will be released.

I do wonder though. How long this simulator will have a active playerbase surviving on the eye candy alone.

I have already pretty much stopped playing simply because of the underwhelming progress being made from the developers side (was hoping it was post launch vacations/whatever), and the realization that this is not a simulator for simulating purposes (expectations set by MS’s marketing team).
The main thing that keeps me here on the forum, and checking in now and then is the community’s progress in making mods. And that, thats honestly just sad for everyone involved.

3 Likes

I have had a growing interest in MSFS from way back, before it was even Microsoft …

Its been an interesting journey, met many great people though the Sim Community, and it has both given me a lot of pleasure, and well as taking up more time than I care to think about.

But I have always enjoyed the experiences of starting any of the Fight Sims, and doing something enjoyable with them

There is no doubt that MSFS is amazing “Eye Candy” – but

Today however was a 1st. time I can ever recall, just getting so frustrated with a MSFS product, , that despite the eye capturing EYE CANDY, ----

I just clicked on the BIG X, got up and walked away.

OK, so I could not have Clicked on the BIG X, in the DOS versions, but I really never felt the need to,

2 Likes