The DG808S by Touching Cloud

I installed the DG808S a few weeks ago and fell in love with it because IMHO it’s perfectly reproduced and functional.
I also installed Kinetic Assistant but i haven’t finished studying all its functions yet (such as racing events, catapult, etc).

Anyway i’m making some video tutorials mainly for beginners on YouTube about the glider itself.
Most of them are in italian but YouTube subtitles can be used to translate in other languages.
Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja39IPG5mks&list=PLOUQmqa9Wa-8u6n0ZIHLjAB2nkOiY4Hn4

2 Likes

I love the 808 too, fly it multiple times every week. Make sure that you have Captain Jack’s LXN nav mod installed, Releases · JackBilbo/lxn-dg808s · GitHub

The mod adds gliding computer functions to the nav. It will display data like the relative wind direction, desired track, arrival height at next waypoint (factoring MacCready setting), etc.

It allows users to create flight plans which incorporate gliding task features like a minimum/maximum altitude and radius for waypoints. For example, you can set a max altitude and radius for the starting line. It allows users to log into (or create their own) soaring events, in order to provide timing information for all of the participants. It also enables the default MSFS towplane and wing walker.

B21 Task Planner is here, B21 Task Planner

If you’re not busy, join us for this Saturday’s Sim Soaring Club flight. You can expect 30+ pilots to attend, I’d say that half of them are from the EU.

SSC will post a flight plan and weather preset a few hours prior to each event. This is meant to discourage people from pre-flighting the event and studying the course.

We meet in discord 15 minutes before each event. IF we all use the same weather preset, set the same sim time, and click “Fly” simultaneously, we will all have the same exact weather including winds/clouds/thermals. A host from SSC will countdown and we all click fly at the same time.

There is something satisfying and serene about being in a crowd of 30 or more gliders, while focusing on the event’s task, managing your energy state, gawking at the terrain below, all while constantly strategizing.

You don’t just compete against yourself, you compete against 30 other minds. Very engaging, never an unoccupied moment. Every moment brings another wager.

4 Likes

LXN nav mod for 808s, (also available for the DG1001e, and Discus 2c)

(the nav mod is not required for the AS33ME, the functions are already present)

(AS 33 ME)

Heading off to watch your DG video now, hope to see you Saturday.

PS.
GotGravel also hosts soaring events, Got Gravel
So does Albatros Racing, ALBATROSS Racing

2 Likes

lwilz, those are some great videos. Noticed that you already have the nav mod. I like your Arduino button box. Thanks for posting. p.s., i’ve been slowly learning Italian, so your video was useful to me in that respect.

I’m glad you like my simple videos and my “button box” and yes, i have already installed the nav mod :slight_smile:

About the races, i’m very curious to try this experience but as i said i’m really a beginner in this so much that i haven’t even fully understood how they take place, what’s the rules and much less how to use the on-board tablet (or Kinetic Assistant) for this purpose.

Therefore, in this regard, if you have any links or documents to recommend, it would be very useful :blush:

P.S. in the meantime, i’m almost ready to post a new short video on using the smoke system just for fun

Tomorrow , I’ll make a video about how to join, what the rules are, and how to use the LXN mod. I’ll show how to set the MacCready setting, how you can tell what flap setting to use, how to log into an event or create one. Just to be clear, SSC events aren’t really races. They are just for fun. But there is a competitive streak in most of us.

In the mean time, this video talks about what speed to fly and what a Mac Cready setting is.

Speed to fly cheat sheet for the DG808s,

What Speed do you fly to get the maximum distance over the ground in still air? (DG-808)

BEST GLIDE - 110 kph (60 KNOTS)

In a headwind?

BEST GLIDE PLUS 1/2 the Wind Speed

In a tailwind?

MIN SINK - 90 kph (49 KNOTS)

In lift?

MIN SINK CORRECTED FOR ANGLE OF BANK

In Sink?

MacCREADY setting

**BEST GLIDE = DG-Flugzeugbau quotes the best glide angle at 110 kph (60 kts) as over 50:1.

**MIN SINK = The best climb rate is achieved at 90 kph (49 kts).

1 Like

If anyone is interested, the FAA Glider Pilot’s Handbook is extremely useful. You can download the pdf here,

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/files/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/glider_handbook/faa-h-8083-13a.pdf

I like it so much that I bought a hard copy of it from Amazon for $20.

1 Like

Thanks for this nice video and in particular for the speed settings table and Mac Cready ring, they are very interesting.
A long time ago i studied the polars too but as i am not a glider pilot but an ultralight pilot and a glider modeller, i spent more time with wing airfoils for glider models than with polars.

Today i’ve finished the video about having fun with the DG808S smoke system so i hope to have enough time to understand the “race side” of gliders in the next days.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve seen also this interesting video, thank you :wink:

Now it seems very important to use NAV tablet in the best way the but i have a little problem because to manage it’s pages the mouse is not a good solution at all but setting the keyboard commands as explained in the description of the lxn-dg808s mod (GitHub - JackBilbo/lxn-dg808s: Replacement mod for the Touching Cloud DG808s Nav computer) where he advise to “keybind INCREASE/DECREASE COM1 (WHOLE) for horizontal and INCREASE/DECREASE COM1 (FRACT) for vertical scrolling” simply don’t works for me.

The recommended setting changes the COM1 frequency (as expected by the way) but not the tablet pages.

What’s the solution?

0.1.6 is available here, Releases · JackBilbo/lxn-dg808s · GitHub

0.1.6 is newer than the version 0.2 hosted on Flighsim.to.

The “INCREASE/DECREASE COM1 (WHOLE) for horizontal and INCREASE/DECREASE COM1 (FRACT)” commands have been changed to different commands a few versions ago. They were interfering with the DG808’s radio frequencies in sim.

Make sure you have 0.1.6 and try the commands listed below,

" Keybinds -Several functions can be operated by keybinds from joystick or throttle:

• Page left/right: INCREASE/DECREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE ALTITUDE**
  • Page up/down: INCREASE/DECREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE VS**
  • Waypoint next/prev: INCREASE/DECREASE TRANSPONDER (1000)**
  • Map Zoom: INCREASE/DECREASE TRANSPONDER (10)**
  • Map Orientation: INCREASE/DECREASE TRANSPONDER (1)**"

Here is the readme for version 0.1.6.

lxn-dg808s

Replacement mod for the Touching Cloud DG808s Nav computer

Fixes and Features:

Overspeed Warning:

Coded and contributed bei LeNinjaHD - thanks for that! Gives you a red warning if exceeding 152 knots true airspeed. Depending on altitude that can be way before reaching the red line on the VSI.

The message will pop up each time you pass the threshold for ten seconds and the disappear without any harm. Connected to the “Cockpit Warnigns”-Switch in “Interface options” so can be deactivated. Or even is if you have deactivated those gear and ballast warnings.

No matter if deactivated, exceeding Vne will be recorded and evaluated at the end of the current task.

The speedtape gauge also shows a dynamic estimation of Vne translated to indicated airspeed as “red zone”. This estimation will always be a little on the “pessimistic” side, placing the red overspeed line a little lower than the popup trigger to give you an early warning.

New type of datafields

Two new variables: “Waypoint Min Altitude” and “Waypoint Max Altitude”. These behave differently from all other vars: Fields will only be displayed, if a min/max value is present at the current waypoint. Otherwise the fields will be invisible, de-cluttering the interface. Now that the technique is there, it might be reused for other variables in the future.

Installation:

Simply drop the included folder "touchingcloud-aircraft-dg808s-lxn" into your community folder. No need to change anything in your existing installation. To uninstall delete the folder and you're "back to normal".

Basic Features:

All Information is organized in „pages“ (horizontally) and „sub-pages“ (vertically). Pages can be changed by „click and drag“ with the mouse or - more comfortably - through keybinding „INCREASE/DECREASE COM1 (WHOLE)“ for horizontal and „INCREASE/DECREASE COM1 (FRACT)“ for vertical scrolling.

Currently there are five main pages: „APT“ for navigation to the selected Airport, „WPT“ for navigating a task/flightplan, „TASK“ for the current state of the task, “Kinetic Assitant” for launching through KA and „CONFIG“ for Unit switching, ballast management and some system settings.

„APT“ Page automatically selects the nearest Airport as target. On the first subpage there’s a bit of info about that airport including runway orientation and dimensions. The second subpage features a list of close airports where you can click any airport to select it for navigation. Click the selected airport again to return to “closest airport navigation”. On the map a yellow line will be drawn from your glider to the selected airport to show the direction to fly.

“WPT” is similar, except the navigation target is the current waypoint of the loaded flightplan. Using the buttons in the headerbar waypoints can be selected. The map will also show a yellow course-line from your glider to the waypoint to indicate the direction to fly. As a subpage to “WPT” you find a “thermalling help” page, displaying wind, climb and average climb for the current/last therma (a “thermal” is detected, when circling for more than 25 seconds). The lower section displays a bar chart of all thermals in the löast 40 minutes on the left and a graph of climb/sink values in the right half.

„APT“ and „WPT“ feature a maximum of 16 data fields each, that can be configured in game. The „tools“ button in the upper right hand corner of the map toggles „configuration mode“. Data fields are then marked with a light blue outline. Click any data field to bring up a popup, where you can set background color, text color and Information to be displayed. A second background color can be selected to be displayed when the displayed value <= 0 (e.g. switch background to red when arrival height is negative)

Data field Configurations are persistent between simulator sessions. Click „reset all“ in the configuration popup to reset all data fields to default. Configurations are also persitent with different versions of this mod, so if you used an oder version or install an update, your settings will be save. There is however a slight chance, that a variable name gets mixed up, so if you experience any erratic behaviour with the datafields, try “reset all” and see if that helps.

The task management system is Ian „B21“ Lewis’ Soaring Engine from the AS33. Some features like calculating glide ratios could not be recreated, as they are dependent of other instruments in the AS33. Others are still on the to do list.

The wind indicator in the center of the map is loosely based on the real world LX-„Hawk“ system displaying current (blue) and average (grey) wind-arrows and a green/red column indicator for the vertical wind component.

The Config-Page gives you access to various settings:

• Ballast: A light version of ballast loading system that can even be used in flight - which would be shameless cheating of course!
  • Units: allows you to select the units of measurement to use for various categories or generally “metric” or “imperial” system. Only “metric” or “imperial” settings have an effect on other instruments in the cockpit. Detailled settings only work inside the nav computer.
  • Interface Options: Settings for the Nav Interface. “Readability Mode” can be activated here to get some bigger readouts (and less data fields) and the liftdot-trail on the map can be deactivated

All config settings apart from ballast are persistent between sessions. Just make sure to click “close” after making any changes.

Multiplayer racing

Multiplayer-Info is located as a sub page under the task list - simply page down.

First view asks you to enter a username. As default the aircraft registration is used. You can change that to your pleasing. A good idea would be to use a name short name, as it will later be displayed on other pilots nav map and you don’t want to clutter that with a username like “bestpilotinthewholewideworld2338992” :wink:

Once connected you see a - most likely very short or empty “events” list, showing all available flights. You only see events that use the same task/flightplan you have currently loaded. Click an event to join or click “add new flight” to create your own event and then join it. You need to enter a title and the start time (hour and minutes) in UTC/ZULU time.

Once other pilots join you’ll see the list of participants and also see other pilots position on the nav map. If you assigned “task time” to a data field it will now show a countdown to task start.

When a pilot crosses the start line, his/her average speed and flown distance is shown in the list. The list will now be sorted by distance flown, effectively a live ranking of the race. When a pilot crosses the finish line, total task time will be displayed instead of distance flown and used for sorting.

Communication is done via a google cloud service that has a traffic limit, so the feature might not always be available.

Some more Details

The map view features a lot of information to help you optimize your flight:

• There are three thin lines pointing away from your glider:

• the blue line is simply your plane’s heading
    • the pink/magenta line is your gps ground track, the direction, your plane is travelling over the terrain. The stronger a crosswind, the more this will deviate from your heading.
    • the yellow line points to your current nav target. Depending on which page you are, this is the selected airport or the current waypoint. So as a rule of thumb: “put the pink on the yellow” and you’re going where you are supposed to go :wink:
  • Your loaded flightplan is diplayed as the current “task” in broader pink/magenta lines, circles and semi circles.

• the active “leg” of the task is displayed in black/yellow stripes leading from the last waypoiont to the current one.
    • Semi circles indicate the start and finish lines of the task, where the task timer will start and stop automatically.
    • Small pink circles mark the turnpoints of the task. Entering the circle around the current waypoint will trigger the “waypoint ok” message and automatically switch to the next wp. But take a good look on the task page, if there are “Min/Max” values for the waypoint for altitude restrictions (usually for start and/or finish waypoints)

To make all this soaring task magic work, the flightplan needs to provide more information than usually present in MSFS generated flightplans. Easiest way to achieve that is to use B21’s task planner to plan your flights: B21 Task Planner

MacCready setting can be changed by clicking the green “MC” button beneath the speed tape.

Why use that MacCready setting? There’s a lot more theory around that than can be covered here, but on thing important: calculation of estimated arrival height and time enroute is based on the suggested speed to fly (indicated as STF under the speed tape instrument), which is in turn influenced by MacCready setting and carried ballast. In short: the more ballast and the higher MacCready, the higher the calculated speed to fly. The more your actual speed deviates from the calculated speed to fly, the less accurate your arrival height estimations will be. You can also turn that around: on final glide you can turn the MacCready value up and see the estimated arrival height go down (due to more sink at higher speeds) until you get a safe altitude estimation. Now your computer tells you the maximum speed to fly, that still gets you to finish safely.

Keybinds

Several functions can be operated by keybinds from joystick or throttle:

• Page left/right: INCREASE/DECREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE ALTITUDE**
  • Page up/down: INCREASE/DECREASE AUTOPILOT REFERENCE VS**
  • Waypoint next/prev: INCREASE/DECREASE TRANSPONDER (1000)**
  • Map Zoom: INCREASE/DECREASE TRANSPONDER (10)**
  • Map Orientation: INCREASE/DECREASE TRANSPONDER (1)**

Known Limitations:

Changing pages and subpages with “click and drag” in flight requires a lot of mouse handling skills :slight_smile: I recommend keybinding. Way up on the roadmap is using the rotary buttons aroud the screen for navigation as is in the real world device.

The map can not be panned. To avoid collision with „click and drag“ page changing another „mode switch“ would be needed. Considering the current quality of the ingame map, I don’t think it’s worth the added complexity.

Conflicts with other mods

Multiple mods changing the same aircraft are prone to conflict somehow. If you run into problems the first and easiest option is to decide, which modification is more important to you and remove the conflicting one. If you absolutely want to keep both, you can try to find out which files conflict. In the case of most livery modifications the conflicting file is the file panel.cfg, that is used to modify aircraft registration. This mod also changes panel.cfg. You can try to solve the conflict by either copying panel.cfg from this mod over to you livery completely, or only copy the section [VCockpit02] from this mod’s panel.cfg and paste it to the same file in you livery mod. Sounds way more complicated than it is, but try it at your own risk, of course.

Developer Info:

If you have a basic understanding of what HTML, Javascript and CSS are, jump into the code and try your hand on it. There is no black magic involved :slight_smile:

The front end is intended to be easily extensible with new features. New pages and sub-pages can be added by simply copy/pasting the respective HTML-Structures.

All variables that are displayed in the frontend are stored in the „this.vars“-object. This object contains the value itself as well as unit- and label-information and make the variable user-selectable in the in game configuration popup. To add a new readout to your panel all you have to do is add a line to the „this.vars“-object with your own variable name and label/unit information. When you start the next flight, you can simply assign your variable value to a data field of your choice and if the variable value is manipulated somewhere in the javascript, the cockpit readout will be updated automatically.

If you need a variable displayed somewhere outside of the data fields, you can do so directly in the html using the attributes class=“livedata“ data-value=„VARIABLE“. See the total ballast readout in the “Ballast” configuration as an example.

Units: All variables are kept in a „base unit“, which is (currently) „imperial“ units. When displayed in a data field or as „livedata“ in the html the value is converted to the user preferred unit. So if you like to display a distance you should store nautical miles in the variable and conversion will be automatic.

1 Like

Thank you for your fast response but about the mod version and looking inside the 2 zip files, seems that this:
GitHub - JackBilbo/lxn-dg808s: Replacement mod for the Touching Cloud DG808s Nav computer (updated at 01-05-23)
is newer than the 0.1.6 of this link:
Releases · JackBilbo/lxn-dg808s · GitHub (updated at 28-02-23)

Anyway honestly, i hadn’t read the last part of the README where (unlike what is described in the first part of the file) at the end he says to use the AUTOPILOT and TRANSPONDER commands.

I will try this solution but i don’t think i will be online tonight because i have a dinner today :wink:

1 Like

Yes, it’s counterintuitive.

The GitHub page is the most recent, it’s maintained more often. The FS.TO page is not updated as frequently and it’s considered a more stable branch.

V0.1.6 has features like displaying and logging over-speed events and their duration. It’s 100% stable for me.

Ooops, sorry, to cause any confusion :slight_smile: As you can easily tell, this is not an overly well structured project and i’m learning a lot in the process.

What you find on the github repository is the development version, where i add, remove and change features more frequently following the feedback from people on the SSC discord. Since not everybody is comfortable with finding his/her way around github, i created the fs.to version, which doesn’t contain any experimental stuff, but only features that have been stable for a while on the dev version. Currently there is not a lot of differnece though.

Anyway thanks for using the mod. Always very rewarding to see that people use and enjoy it.

2 Likes

Just one thing bugging me:

I also own the excellent GF Discus and have set up a joystick glider profile for it. The thing is my joystick has a throttle lever set to the left, which handily matches the green slider in the discus and thus I use it for elevator trim (with reduced authority) and this works well. However in the DG808 the slider moves in the opposite direction. Yes I can create a separate profile however it’s hardly ideal so I am wondering what I can change in the cfg of either glider in order to unify them?

Any suggestion is welcome.

I would love to fly the DG808S,

But sadly I’m on xbox and the ‘Marketplace 2.0’ that will allow freeware is something for far in the future. (At least for what I know now)

1 Like

Don’t worry, you are doing a very good job and i thank you for that :wink:
I’m using the last version taken from GitHub and i don’t have any problem at the moment :ok_hand:

1 Like

Hi everyone! I got this amazing glider but want to fine tune somethings that are just not working and wondering if anyone can help…

1. Is it possible to change something in the config files so that I can use the stock MSFS tow plane? I bought Kenitic Assistant, but it is very buggy in some places. I also don’t want to use the jet engine.

2. I also wanted to see if it’s possible to edit something where the jet engine is OFF by default, so that everytime I start I dont have to press the button and wait for it to shut down.

3. How to turn off pilot by default. I saw that you can edit the runway.FLT file and assign a value of “100” or “0” for the line PILOT_TOGGLE, but neither seem to make a difference? Not sure why?

On that same note, I would love to turn off the fake vertical “string”.

Let me know! Thank you so much!

Pilot toggle should be a button on the stick. The default tow plane is in the launch method menu. Be careful editing the config file as you will be disqualified from flying in any of the sim soaring comps on discord or got gravvel tasks . . Have you contacted the developer ?

Thanks, I’m just a loner flying, so no worries on modding the plane.

I also noticed many cool looking liveries for it on the website, but none of them are on the install. Weird. It does not look like this plane is supported now? Too bad, I love it.

At this point, I really just want to get it to be compatible with MSFS default tow plane. The KA program that I bought from them is VERY buggy.