The dolphin dance is back in 1.9.3.0 (pitch oscillations)

Usually a silent observer on these forums and cut Asobo some slack, because I know this is a complicated piece of software to maintain. However, this has made any form of IFR (which is the norm for a jet) in this plane impossible. I’d even put up with it if it was a slight oscillation, but it’s literally giving me a headache watching it. I wish they had a hotfix process to fix these bugs without having to wait another two weeks. :frowning:

4 Likes

I’m also no hater. In fact, I’m flying right now in a the baron. I like the sim. But when quality is lacking on a base level, we have to speak up.

I know lots of people try to shame critics, but that’s just that. They’re just words coming at you, people you will never see in your life, so they can be like that. I don’t mind it.

5 Likes

Paying a premium to access a plane that does not work as advertised, range… is something to complain about. They made sure this plane was in the Premium Deluxe edition because they know it’s populair. So of course people are gonna complain about it. Most people that don’t get that use the standard edition I guess. And now the plane is becoming even worse after waiting with high hopes for more then 6 weeks. It’s a disgusting sales practice.

3 Likes

Does it for me with either AP on or off-before 1.9.30, could fly the Longitude well.

Before it flew like a charm, not concidering the fuel consumption offcourse. I refueled in the air to get around that. But now the plane isn’t even flying straight anymore…

Once again,
It’s NOT an AP issue.
It’s NOT an inability to Trim issue
It’s not a Trim Wheel sensitivity/resolution issue
It’s not a Joystick or Joystick sensitivity issue.

Its a basic “Static” and “Dynamic” Pitch Stability issue, that is evident when all the above inputs are STATIC.

BTW: Its only when the Dynamic Pitch Stability is corrected to somewhere near Critical Damping, that the AP can be Tuned to match that response and optimized.

The AP control is basically a Multi PID system. This needs to be set-up to match the characteristic of each individual plane. A “generic” AP, with the same PID values for each plane, will never be a Real World realistic AP in the sim.

In a sim, the temptation to optimizes these parameters to a “Perfect” response should be avoided, but rather they should be adjusted to match the imperfections in the RL AP, as far as possible.

It is interesting to note/see, that the AI pilots is Basically like an AP, but the AI Pilots ability to control the plane far exceeds the AP when trying to control a basically Pitch Unstable aircraft.

I have not even looked at the directional responses, but I suspect the Alpha Beta team when testing, reported issues here as well, that also were never addressed.

BTW: My reading of the NDA (at least the one for the new VR testing), limits the NDA to pre-release. So maybe there is now no restrictions on an exchange of details about what was and was not tested, and what was and was “seemed” to be ignored by ASOBO, during beta testing.
Certainly, al lot of this is being volunteered, even if it is not active being sought.

1 Like

It happens to me to, on any plane that I fly. It happens to me straight away after taking off.

I was in alpha testing… and yes we reported it, numerous times. Even warned them one last time about the issue ONE WEEK before release. It was infuriating.

The lack of QA testing is a bit of a meme to me at this point. I get the whole “This is a flight simulator, not a game” argument, trust me, I do. However, if you modify code related to flight dynamics or autopilot, a quick test run of the planes shipped in the retail release would reveal these oscillations nearly immediately. I was able to discover the dolphin dance bug within a few minutes of flight in the Longitude and simply trying to climb to a normal IFR flight altitude. Some of the bugs they have created while attempting to fix others are akin to not having a crosshair in a first person shooter.

1 Like

That’s so true! I also immediately experienced the oscillation in the longitude after lift off. How could this slip through there QA team? Apparently they have dedicated teams for each aircraft. Maybe the team on the longitude just checked out that day… I don’t know.

1 Like

It takes a different Skill Set as a “tester” to test say the UI, and to test the “Flight Characteristics” of a range of aircraft models.

Current testing resources may now be limited and “scaled back”, but even a tester, with no RL flying expereince, should be able to test a UI, if they have any Software Testing ability.
They do NOT need to be programmers… its just GRUNT work, that any low paid Intern should be able to do, when its only a game . Not knocking it as a game, but testing the UI in MSFS is very different to testing the UI in a Real Garmin, or a complex medical device, where error can cost life.

Interesting that there is such a big divide.

• Many are saying the sim is great, and working perfectly (for them)
  • Others are saying its severely broken, and the plane are not flyable.

I suspect that this difference of opinion, is not so much Hardware difference, but manly due to differing user expectations.
This difference is further exaggerated by the diverse mix of Gamers and Simmer using this “Software”, whether they call it a GAME or a SIM.

That perceived difference between Game & Sim, is probably the main reason for the differing feedback we see on this forum.

What we do not heard about, is the perceived experience that those in QA at ASOBO are getting as part of the QA process. :wink:

2 Likes

Duplicates creeping up since yesterday

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cesna-longitude-autopilot-oscillation-1-9-3-0/290098
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/ap-vs-oscillations/290485/7
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/cj4-1-9-3-autopilot-oscillations/289934

Counting those votes, we have exceeded the 100 votes.
just saying. and crying.

4 Likes

I wonder if a moderator is able to combine them somehow?

2 Likes

@JuiceBox7535

Could you add the aformentioned tickets about this issue to this topic to combine the votes pls?

Headed to work for the “day job”. Will ping the moderator group so they can take a look. Feel free to flag any messages in the future. Thanks!

1 Like

After the update to 1.9.3.0 I loaded into LIPC - (on runway) with the Longitude with clear weather 220/2 and normal weight, took off as normal and switched AP on and set altitude to 15000 then the autopilot started oscillating violently whilst climbing.

As you can see from the attached video it appears to be wildly trimming up and down, it also appears to be a problem for both VS and FLC modes in both ascent and descent.
I’ve sent a bug report to the Zendesk.

In the meantime I’d like to know if anyone has found any temporary fixes for this issue. I’ll do my best to replicate and find a work around and will update here if I find anything.

Here’s a video of my experience - apologies for the quality (5mb limit):

1 Like

Video is GREAT – and nicely show the effect.

But, is it the AP that is causing it, or just the AP inability to control an unrealistically unstable aircraft. The AP can only do so much, and is only designed to do so much,

Try turning the AP off, and see how much and how quickly the Oscillations decrease.

The USA uses standard altimeter setting over FL180. (MAKING IT SO MUCH EASIER - Thank you FAA)

Other counties switch to Std Alt setting at other heights, sometimes on quite a local basic.

Were you flying outside of the USA ?

I was flying in USA.

I am aware of the altimeter set to 29.92 when crossing FL180, that is not the problem :wink: .

OK… I was not aware that when set to hard, the sim would automatically change to STD Alt passing through FL180. I do not like that done automatically when in HARD :frowning:

But so far, only flow the C712 in MSFS …(so no FL180 + )
If I cannot get a GA to fly correctly in MSFS, I am not wasting my time messing with airlines.