The Xbox experience

I’ve been using MSFS on the Xbox Series X since launch. And while I’ve had some great experiences, the majority of them have been just frustrating.
Regardless of whether I’m using addons or not, the MSFS seems to CTD every 7 of 10 times I wanna use it. I could spend 30-45 mins of continuously restarting MSFS after a series of CTDs. Many times I give up out of frustration, or I just run out of the time I had to fly anywhere.
Mostly I get the CTDs immediately or with in a minute or two of loading into an airport. If not It will often CTD when approaching the destination airport.

Proper support is also very unorganized! If I reach out to Asobo for support on an airport, they will refer me to the developer, and then when I contact the developer, they will say they cannot troubleshoot on the Xbox, contact Asobo for support! They may offer very basic and sometimes non nonsensical advise that leaves me with the impression that neither Asobo support nor the Dev support actually own an Xbox! Some body has to take the responsibility here instead of just playing “Pong” with the customer.

I can’t be the only one. Anyone still having a satisfying experience on the Xbox?

13 Likes

Sorry to hear you are having that experience. There are a lot of variables to your situation that you have not described.

What is the current version of your MSFS, have you updated? Is your series x up to date? What is your typical download and upload speeds for your internet connection? What do you usually fly airliners or GA? Do you fly with live players, all players, no players? Do you fly with AI traffic on? Do you fly with live weather? Have you tried the Beta through the Xbox insiders club before? Are you using quick resume? (I never use quick resume, always quit and restart fresh as it has its own issues connecting.)

As you can see there are a lot of variables to consider your issue. Again, sorry you’re having your issue but only you can troubleshoot these variables. You can’t assume MSFS teams or Asobo teams will be able to pin point this problem.

I have not had any significant issues like the ones you’ve described since the SU9 - SU10 debacle. I joined the beta durning that period and my CTD experience was eliminated almost completely. The sim lately has had outstanding performance on my series x. I am very happy with the new update and I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a CTD.

2 Likes

What is the current version of your MSFS, have you updated?

You cannot start MSFS on the Xbox without having the most current version. Do you really own an Xbox?

What is your typical download and upload speeds for your internet connection?

50-100mbps Fast enough to have a smooth experience on the PC on the same network.

What do you usually fly airliners or GA?

Both

Do you fly with live players, all players, no players?

All players, but it shouldn’t matter if the option exist.

Do you fly with AI traffic on? Do you fly with live weather? Have you tried the Beta through the Xbox insiders club before? Are you using quick resume?

I use AI Traffic and usually Clear Skies or High Clouds when it comes to weather. But again if there is an option for Stormy Hurricane conditions I should be able to use it. I tried on Beta 10 when it was out, it didn’t improve anything. I don’t like to use Betas because noone can see you in group flights, and I never use quick resume.

You can’t assume MSFS teams or Asobo teams will be able to pin point this problem.

Xbox is a closed system. Unlike a PC it will not allow me to do anything that it doesn’t offer. So there is nothing I can do to break it. None of these issues can be my fault. And I shouldn’t be expected to be the sole one to figure it out.

16 Likes

I have similar instability experiences on Xbox Series X, but it seems I only get the CTD when using airport addons. I have no issues when using the official world updates from Microsoft though, it’s only third party airports that’s causing the issues.
Right now I have uninstalled all third party airports and will try to see what happens when installing one at a time. Troubleshooting step by step.

My CTDs usually happen when approaching a third party airport (30% occurance) or when fully landed and checking out the airport with the drone cam (70% occurance).

5 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear about your experience! What you’ve described would drive me up the wall for sure. I’ve been playing on series X since the beginning too, and have not had the same experience. I have made sure to always having rolling cache off and never use quick resume. I’m sure by now you’ve tried everything but if you haven’t tried those I would recommend it. I always try to start the game with as fresh an XBOX as possible, starting it from “cold and dark” (not sleep) and not loading any other apps or games before I start MSFS. Your constant crashing seems to be on the extreme side, I wonder if it has something to do with your specific XBOX. Do other games work well on it, or do you get crashes there too?

All that being said, I had a crash yesterday just flying around (no 3rd party scenery) in the 414AW. I was panning in exterior view when it happened. I also have had a few crashes like code01 where I was panning around a 3rd party airport after landing. Both of these happened only during the SU11 beta that’s on right now. I didn’t have any crashes at all for the whole of SU10 (but I also didn’t have the 414).

It definitely feels like this hardware is being pushed by the sim. I know the developers are aware of this and are looking into the situation with 3rd party addons. I hope they’ll be able to do something over the course of the next year.

3 Likes

I have considered this, and it may be true. My Xbox is a Launch console, made during the chipset shortage at the height of the pandemic. Yes it is possible that some components might be counterfeit, do to the low supply and high demand in China. I’ve witnessed this with Android tablets made in China during the early 2000s. Staffing shortages could have also resulted in the assembly being rushed and things not being soldered or screwed in securely. While I have not had any issues with other games, the symptoms may only manifest when the Xbox is being overstressed by MSFS.
But this is why I wanted to know if everyone else was having the same problem.

As I said in the beginning some of my experiences have been positive. The 414W is surprisingly stable, while the Kodiak 100 is unflyable especially with the loaded Cargo version. The devs seem to think its the Working Tile Garmin 1000, but I have the same issues with both the Default and working title Garmins.

Also where did you find the error code01? When I get a CTD there are no error codes given.

He was referring to my username :smile:

I do not get any error codes either when getting a CTD on Xbox

Oh! I didn’t catch that.

2 Likes

My experience on Xbox Series X was really bad around the Sim Update 9-10, the game would crash upon taking off, randomly while cruising and touching down the arrival airport. It was basically unplayable. But for the last month or so the game only crashed almost every time while I’m in a add-on airport and I started to not use that. I don’t have any problems currently.

Mostly I get the CTDs immediately or with in a minute or two of loading into an airport. If not It will often CTD when approaching the destination airport.

If there’re add-ons around your departure and arrival airports, (like airports, scenery, planes etc) you can try disabling them. Microsoft Flight Simulator is already an unstable game on consoles, some add-ons just makes it worse sadly.

2 Likes

I have done similar too: I have uninstalled about 100 3rd-party airports that are larger than 900MB in file size, leaving about 200 that are smaller in filesize. Since then the number of CTD has dropped considerably. Still not at 0 though.

2 Likes

Until the most recent beta my CTD experiences on Xbox X have been minimal. I fly with live traffic/no multiplayer/ 60 Mbps internet.

Since this beta my experience is:

LOD improved, sort of - Ie i can see better detail, however stuff still loads uncomfortably close as I’m approaching, a backwards step from say 2-3 months ago on betas.

CTDs have increased to “pretty often” (if there are inferior xboxs i would have described mine as decent and stable prior to this beta) over the last couple of weeks (basically since new beta)

I bought BBlue Goodwood last night, which looks absolutely superb by the way. I flew the Flysimware 414 (again normally stable, an excellent product). I crashed to desktop within about 3mins having switched to drone and flew a short distance checking out the scenery.

I reloaded MSFS. Took off, landed (Goodwood again), turned around, took off and flew towards Chichester to check the scenery. Airport scenery like the racetrack barriers were loading ahead of my plane, distractingly close sadly. CTD as i got within a mile or so of Chichester.
Gave up, went to bed.

Sincerely hope there is CTD monitoring and reporting in this build.

What i don’t understand is in previous beta builds I’ve not noticed immediate proximity loading of scenery. I’ve not had CTDs and the graphics looked excellent. So where’s the silver lining here?

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I’ve had a CTD on Xbox, and I’m flying a lot. In my experience, the simulator is very stable, although it has to be said I only have one single airport add-on, and a few aircraft, nothing else. This is also the main reason why I avoid buying too many things. However, since SU10 (and this includes SU11 as well), my simulator has been working as it should. I’ve completed 5+ and 8+ hour flights with live weather without any issue. Both performance and stability are great, minus the known graphical bug that’s due for a fix in January.

My only gripe right now is the initial load time, which, after being improved in SU10 so much, has now gone back to near-unacceptable levels. But once it’s loaded, it’s perfectly fine for me.

I’m sorry to read that it’s still so variable among Xbox players. It is infinitely frustrating when you can’t enjoy flying either because of CTDs or just the fear of getting those CTDs.

I take back what I said earlier about my sim being stable. Tonight has been a total mess, more than half my flights (or attempted flights) have resulted in inexplicable CTD’s. I was so careful to even avoid external views or fast camera panning. Might be something in the latest beta build. Still doesn’t explain OP’s long standing problems, but goes to show that when XBOXes that have been historically “stable” are not always so.

On a side note I too have noticed a significant decrease in visual fidelity. Pop ins are very noticeable and there is a ring around the plane beyond which everything looks like it did in the darkest days of the 40th anniversary LOD bug. Hope this is just them working out the issues before the release.

1 Like

How often do you clear your Rolling Cache?

Personally from the start i have had rolling cache on. Clearing it every now and then

For last few weeks - rolling cache = off.

I see fewer proponents of RC than supporters of it anecdotally on the forums.

I agree with you. The simulator is extremely stable on Xbox Series X when not using airport add-ons. I basically don’t have any CTDs with thrid party content removed.

However, as soon as I fly in an area of a 3rd party airport, the risk of ending up in a CTD is skyrocketing. It doesn’t seem to be related to a specific airport add-on that is broken or what not, it’s just a general matter of sim stability when using such content.

I feel that Asobo need to work on a general stability fix to support 3rd party airports. Either that, or refund all this content because the sim isn’t compatible with it (let’s hope we don’t have to go this route, because the 3rd party content makes the sim so much more immersive).

Does anyone know about a general bug report covering this topic that we can up-vote? Otherwise it would be worth creating one.

5 Likes

Yep, unfortunately it’s very clear that 3rd party aiports are still a very big risk of getting CTD’s. I’m on the public live build, an even then i’m struggling quite a lot. But i have to add, not all 3rd party airports are troublesome… I can imagine this is a nightmare for Asobo as well. In my opinion, they really need to get in close contact with 3rd party developers. Those developers must have the tools to test, test, test on Xbox before release ,or don’t release at all on Xbox. Now, they are pointing at each other and we, the customers, are getting nowhere. Refunds are a mess, you are only allowed 2 of them per year!!

9 Likes

I agree, there has to be some quality assurance of the 3rd party content on Xbox. If such quality checks don’t exist, a bug report with many votes would probably trigger Asobo to initiate such work. It has to be done. Simple as that.

Just to be clear and to understand the scope of the probem, is the general opinion that the 3rd party airport instability is a Xbox specific problem due to lack of testing, or is the problem also occuring on PC for the same airports? Anyone on both systems that could shed some light?

2 Likes

It is just not that simple. Microsobo will only take responsibility for its software. Without Adons or other mods. And even that is already with mixed feelings. Everything else is the responsibility of the respective developers. And now comes the crux at this point. If Microsobo changes something in the simulation it has to be forwarded to the developers. Is this done? I think not as it has to be. Then the developer must also have the leisure to adapt his product. But is it even possible with the number of changes? And what reason would a developer have to adapt his product? If he does not do it, nothing happens to him. I have written to 5 developers and asked them to adapt their products. One of them answered. The rest are not interested. It’s just the XBOX…The Marketplace is just a platform provided by MS to market products. The whole issue has been going on for over a year. Without significant improvement. That speaks for itself.

4 Likes

I have been simming on the Xbox since its release on the console and I have to say my experience lately has been great. Since the beta I have only had 2 CTD’s both caused by 3rd party airports.

Fly Tampa’s Vegas is horrible for Xbox and has been since release, its too bad because it looks great but I get CTD every time no matter the plane. I removed the airport but kept the scenery included in the pack and that works.

There are many variables that go into whether your sim experience will be positive or negative, unfortunately. Some can be wifi\network\internet connection, peripherals, clearing cache after purchases or updates, turning off Xbox when done or leaving it run, 3rd party add-ons etc… can all effect our experiences differently and one size does not fit all.

I personally think they are heading in the right direction and I am looking forward to what 2023 brings!

2 Likes