Thinking of going VR, need suggestions

Think I’m finally going to bite the bullet, and get a VR set for my computer. Just in research phase now, and it seems VR is still a work in progress with MSFS2020. I can see where VR would be very immersive with this sim. (I also play DCS if that matters) I used to be big into making “flight consoles with switches” but have moved away from that lately so might as well go VR. Appreciate any advice really out of my element with VR.

1. I have great distance vision, but do need reading glasses now. Can the VR headset be adjusted so I don’t need to wear reading glasses while using them?
  2. Any suggestions on a VR headset that works with most games?
  3. Do some models still cause headaches? I played around with them years ago and they gave me a headache after a while.
  4. Do you wear them the whole flight? Or switch back and forth?
  5. I have a RTX 2070 Super, does that have enough power for decent VR?

Thanks again, for any assistance!

1. No idea, but I know you can use your glasses with vr headsets.
  2. I have a Samsung Odyssey Plus (WMR) and it works great. It depends on the games you want to play. Some steam games are better with valve headsets.
  3. I think it depends on the type of the headache. My brother suffers from migraine, and he can use the vr headset for a while but he knows that after that he will have a headache.
    You can suffer motion sickness and those things but after a few days they are gone.
  4. No, I switch a lot. My headset isn´t the most comfortable. MSFS is great because you can do this in the middle of the flight without issues.
  5. My laptop with 5600h/rtx3060/16gb runs it “ok” (SU5) with clouds in ultra, and a mix of high/medium/low options. 80TAA and 80 in OpenXR.

[Sorry for my English]

2 Likes

VR headset optics make everything focus like it’s in the distance, so if your distance vision is good, you should be able to see everything clearly, even objects that are close to you in the sim.

In DCS I use VR for the whole flight, because it doesn’t support switching back and forth. MSFS does so I use the monitor to set up the flight and get to the point where I’m in the “cold and dark” cockpit on the ground, then I switch into VR and stay there.

I have an RTX 2070 (original, not super) and using that with a Reverb G2, have to compromise quite a bit on graphics quality and frame rates, both in MSFS and DCS. I don’t mind it, but am definitely looking to get more poweful GPU once the market for them is sane again.

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks.

1. You can get a glasses spacer for quest 2 to allow a gap whilst wearing the glasses with gogs, I can’t comment how well it works and you do need to be careful as the Vr lenses can scratch.
  2. Oculus quest 2 are good value, advantages are you can buy apps/games to load on them so they are not just for using with a PC and also less demanding on pc than hp reverbs but clarity isn’t as good as the reverbs. I don’t want to start a debate on pro’s and cons as it will hijack the thread but I’m happy with Quest 2 (specs 5800x and 1080ti)
  3. I haven’t had any headaches but it might be specifc to person, some people get a bit of motion sickness
  4. Switch can be assigned, also a few freeware addins such as little nav map and E-bag can be used to view things in cockpit whilst in VR
  5. Performance is ok but it is a bit of 1 step forward 2 steps back in terms of recent updates. I feel although VR is available it’s less of a priorty for Asobo at the moment however there’s usually enough clever people on the forum to get the best performance out of the hardware and software. I also think sometimes VR runs great other time not so great which might be network/server load issues.

Overall though I guess my main endorsement is since buying the goggles in January I haven’t flown in 2d and I’m still in awe of the experience when flying in VR.

Other things to consider . I use Honeycomb yoke and throttle which works Ok, it s ok not being able to see the controls. I also use a behringer xtouch for additional functionalilty, using a mouse for cockpit interaction can sometimes be a bit challenging in bigger cockpits .

Hope the above helps

1 Like

Thanks very helpful, and you also addressed another concern I had but forgot to ask. I have a yoke and throttle quadrant as well and wondered if you would be fine using them or would be flailing your arms around looking for the controls.

Short answer, wait a little bit.

VR in MSFS leaves a lot to desire, it is basically just basic functionality, it works but it is not a full fledged VR experience.

It will probably be one but at the moment the focus is not on VR and performance is not all that great.

However, once you try it, with all its shortcomings you will never go back to 2D.

3 Likes

Yoke fine, Throttle - I can get a bit disorientated where things are sometimes, as an example the autopilot buttons on bravo I sometimes have to count the buttons from the left for instance but its more than workable.

Strangely it is your distance prescription that applies in VR so you should be OK.
My experience is that it is just not very good yet.
All the instruments are readable and not bad as far as focus is concerned but the landscape is nowhere near as good as you get on even an ordinary monitor.
People will say there is a sweet spot where it is sharp and in focus but I just do not see it myself it is only slightly less bad.
Don’t buy anything yet …try and borrow a headset is my recommend before spending loads of money.

2 Likes

Regarding what headset to get i prefer the Valve Index. (Full kit)
But i also play other VR games.
1440×1600, 144hz, 130 dg view

Really, there are only two choices. Quest 2, bargain price $299 for 128 GB model launching in a couple weeks, or a Reverb G2, which is the best headset for MSFS, but not a great all rounder on account of its tracking. I have both headsets. G2 is considerably better for MSFS, IF you have the hardware to push. Sadly, a 2070 isn’t it. I’ve got a 3090 and still hard to get great performance in VR, it’s just incredibly demanding.

Personally, I’d recommend the Quest 2. It’s a fantastic all rounder and can do everything. Even if you decide you want a better headset in the future, the Quests standalone and wireless PCVR capabilities make it super useful. It’s an ideal travel headset.

I wouldn’t even consider any other headsets. Anything comparable in price to either the Quest 2 or G2 is much inferior to them, and for something higher spec, you’d be looking at over a $1000 and you’d need better hardware to run.

Ultimately easiest choice, Quest 2 for $299, spend another $50 on getting the elite strap, and a decent link cable if you don’t want to have to worry about battery life in MSFS. If you extra money left over, put it towards a better GPU as that’s your biggest limiting factor right now for high-end VR, at least as far as MSFS is concerned.

4 Likes

No VR set currently on the market is worth the money. Period. Wait a while – not for prices to come down, but for quality to go up.

2 Likes

Thanks all, very informative!

1 Like
Youtube Link

Which VR Headset Should You Buy in 2021? - YouTube

Agree…it is strange that I asked the same questions and it is really difficult to get VR fanatics to admit that. I wish someone had provided me with a scenery picture of what it actually looks like but they never do.
I got some scenery from my 4K HDR monitor screenshot and put it into photoshop and applied different levels of Gaussian Blur and asked them if they were seeing something like that .
No replies.
I do like it as it makes landing and circuits so much easier in VR but the soft blur drives me mad.
Had my eyes tested, bought prescription inserts got a mask insert still no improvement.

2 Likes

It’ll be a while before VR will look great. I have G2 it’s a really cool fun concept but the quality is similar to watching a 480p movie. Hopefully no too far away they’ll come up with 4K capability

1 Like

Thank you . There should be the equivalent of Alcoholics Anonymous for people who have spent over £1000 on a VR headset and won’t admit it is not very good yet

3 Likes

That’s not my experience at all! G2 is much closer to HD on my system and generally looks fantastic.

However right now with the SU5 patch although the performance is there the graphical glitches and autogen not loading correctly (either ignoring settings or disapearing after a few miles) really makes for a disappointing VR experience.

I hope VR gets some love in the next couple of patches.

4 Likes

As to the perceived value, it is each one to their own , I think at 299 the Quest 2 is good value, the experience of flying vr is a plus , sure I could nitpick that the graphics aren’t the sharpest or with MSFS it’s not the smoothest experience yet but we have to weigh the pros and cons for ourselves, comparing it to a 4K screen is a little unfair…

1 Like

I guess I’m used to my 4K monitor and comparing to VR quality. The shimmering has always been there and blur at a distance.

Yes they said they will focus on VR at the end of the year so hopefully they’ll get very close to where we’d like it to really enjoy it

1 Like