This game is AMAZING! How about some steam gauges?!

First and foremost the weather in this sim is unbelievable. I cant stop flying though storms!

The one thing I wish there was more of was old school cockpits with steam gauges.

Who’s with me?!

11 Likes

There’s already a huge thread about it: I wish there were more steam gauges, way less Garmin screens all over the place. What do you fly?

I think 3rd parties will fill in for the “historic planes” and steam gauges. I like them too but it’s glass these days, and all the airplanes included are showroom fresh. I think 3rd parties will fill this market…

I do like the simplicity of steam gauges sometimes. When I want that, I fly the C152. And I’m sure there will be many other 3rd party planes that will feature old school gauges. And they certainly have their charm. The same way driving an old classic car with no power anything and only an AM radio has its charms.

Personally, I’m glad to see so many glass cockpits. This is a modern flight sim with modern planes and modern avionics. Having gauges to learn on is important. But in the grand scheme of things, digital is the present and future.

But to each his own, I guess.

I am with you.
I am interested in aviation history, so for example I really liked the 2004 Edition of MSFS, “A Century of Flight”, with the series of historical planes, from the Wright Flyer to the Douglas DC-3.
For FSX I purchased the addon “The Early Years of Flight” with some missions as the crossing of the English Channel by Bleriot.
Regarding steam gauges, I stiil use the wonderful book " Microsoft Flight Simulator X for Pilots: Real-World Training", which devotes the first sections to the J3 Cub and the traditional Cessna 172.
So I really hope that Asobo or external developers will provide traditional aircraft in the future.

I currently enjoy the Steam Gauge version of the Cessna 172 (included in the Premium edition) and the Carenado Mooney M20R (my goto plane at present).

4 Likes

You mean in the game? A little bit of everything. I like cruising around in the 152 the most and sight seeing.

Yeah I loved those old planes! I took the DC3 around the world.

That thing is amazing to fly! Carenado did a great job with it.

1 Like

Yep, and if I could swap out the 530 with a nice GTN 750Xi that would be about perfect. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Except in reality most people can’t drop $300,000 on a new GA plane. Even used planes in the $100,000 range have outdated avionics. Adding G1000s probably what, another $50,000? Let alone all the other used issues.

I loved flying PA-28 in Flight Sim World using VOR navigation as it had basic BendixKing autopilot with no GPS. Sadly, Cessna 152 in MSFS is missing autopilot and 172 has full GPS navigation, so no joy. So far, no prop aircraft I checked has BendixKing or similar autopilot without GPS

I made a complete set of steam gauges that work with every aircraft and I’ve made the software available for free. Search for scott-vincent Instrument Panel on GitHub.

1 Like

Very nice job.

If I didn’t already have my own cockpit build, it would certainly be something I would dive in to.

Steam gauges and a bit of dirt! Would love to see some third party make a 737-200 or similar.

1 Like

Steam gauges will come from Carenado and A2A

If you didnt buy the Premium version of MSFS you wont have the 172 steamer… Thatd too bad because I cant really recommend dropping the 90 dollar upgrade for premium deluxe if you didnt buy it off the bat (they really need to fix most of the planes). The 172 steam gauge is pretty nice - its my favorite after the cough TBM cough.

That aside I have a lot of fun with the Carenado M20 Ovation. I think it is well done to the point where its one of the best planes in engine right now. I think the only issues with it really are a slightly annoying autopilot (also custom). Some views are switched up and the transponder that is in the panel is kinda just for show atm. It has a analog gauges and the default GNS 430. Other than that it is super slick, very fast, it has custom airbrakes and tons of analog gauges. Feels great to fly. If you want a step up from the 152 or the Robin, I think its worth it.

But yeah I hope they give us more steam gauge planes. Happy to have some kind of GPS installed though.

I know. That just increases the value of MSFS incredibly! It’s not just a flight simulator. It’s an “I’m using modern equipment on an aircraft that most could never possibly afford in real life” simulator! lol

In seriousness though, I understand the desire for gauges, and there should be a few more planes with them. While I do like the modern avionics, I agree that it’s a bit skewed in their favour.

Yes, the 750 would be perfect.

Well, I read on sim-outhouse that Manfred Jahn’s DAK (C-47) is coming to FS2020. There is still a lot of work to be done.

Also Aeroplane Heaven is working on bringing their DC-3 to FS2020. Again a lot of work still to be done.
A lot of it is due to the current limitations of the SDK.

Just the notifications made me jump in my seat.