Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals not working in MSFS 2020

I received the TPR Rudder pedals today and then spent 6 hours trying to get them to work in MSFS 2020. Needless to say I did not get them working. My system is:
Intel i9 13900K CPU
32 gb RAM
3070 TI GPU
Updated Windows and MSFS
Honeycomb yoke and throttles

My issue is the rudder would not stay connected more than a few seconds when trying to connect to aircraft like the PMDG 737 800. I had installed the driver software for the pedals but a quick check online indicated that most people uninstalled the drivers, which I did. I also notice that the pedals were acting like they were starving for power so I connected them to a powered hub and the disconnects were less. I ran X-Plane 11 and I was able to taxi around the airport without problems. I will have to come back to that and try a flight. My main interest is in MSFS. After 6 hours of trying I have not taxied more than a few hundred yards in MSFS. Most of the time the pedals will stop working and I have to unplug them and plug them back in. PMDG aircraft 737 800 and 900 refuse to work with the pedals, most of the time causing the pedals to disconnect as soon as I start the aircraft. Other aircraft will start when connected but they do not taxi. They sit on the ramp at full power, not going anywhere.
I have calibrated the rudder pedals many times and they seem to show good motion in the sensitivity screen but go back into the aircraft and I get nowhere. I just upgraded from the MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, which were good but I had one channel finally die. So I am now without a working rudder pedal.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Dwight

Just a simple check first. Have you turned off auto rudder in assistance options?

No, don’t connect Thrustmaster peripherals to a powered hub. They should be connected directly into a USB 2.0 connection on your PC. Even connecting to a USB 3 will give problems.
Also, switch of “autorudder” in options

2 Likes

Since you don’t use the TM TCA quad which allows a direct connection by RJ12 on the quad, I assume that you use the RJ12-USB adapter provided with the TPR.
Yes, it must be connected directly on an USB port from your PC and you also need the following program T.RJ12_USB_TPR_Calibration_Tool(V2.12).exe to make it work.
Is the TPR present in the Windows control panel? Is it correctly calibrated? Can you see it in MSFS command option panel? Check that no other peripheral uses the same axes?
For my part, left brake is on joystick axe DY, right brake on joystick axe DX and rudder on joystick cursor X.
Your problem really looks like an axe conflict to me but it’s just an idea of mine.

This is not the case. I have had mine connected to a powered usb hub since I got them way back now. Not one issue. The biggest thing with these is not to install any Thrustmaster software. They are just plug n play. Note: Not all USB hubs are of the same standard and that is likely why.

I have these pedals, and as others have said they are plug and play and don’t require drivers or additional software. I’ve never had to calibrate mine, they have always worked straight out of the box. Windows sees them as a standard game controller and MSFS is aware of them natively. Thrustmaster provides their T.A.R.G.E.T. software but I’ve found it to be more trouble than it’s worth.

You talk about the pedals disconnecting and it’s not super-clear whether you mean it’s the USB device disconnecting in Windows, or ‘disconnecting’ as in just failing to work in the sim, but I think it’s more likely the former. I have run these pedals successfully from a powered USB3 hub. But I have had problems with them disconnecting on occasion, so I switched to plugging them directly into the PC and they are rock solid. However, I’m pretty sure that was just down to the total power capacity of the hub being exceeded, and not a generic problem with plugging these pedals into hubs. I have no problems running them on USB3 - all my USB devices are on USB3 ports.

I would a) remove all TM software and drivers altogether, b) try a different cable (unlikely, but faulty cables are a thing), and c) plug the pedals directly into a port on the PC, not a hub. See what happens in each case.

You could also download an evaluation copy of Spad.neXt and see if the pedals are recognised there and see if they stay recognised and working there when they are not working in the sim (you don’t need to configure Spad.neXt to control anything to do this test). If they are still connected and working there but not working in the sim, it’s a sim problem, if not then it’s a USB disconnection problem. Note that if you use the Spad.neXt-to-test idea, if the pedals do disconnect completely (as in disappear from the device list) then you need to restart Spad.neXt once they are reconnected, as it won’t pick up new devices plugged in after it has started.

The TRJ12 to usb adapter has a switch, put it in Airplane mode, that solved my problem
Also, never update the firmware.

1 Like

The TPR pedals do not have nor can they use the RJ12 connection.

I have had issues where my TPRs do not work at start up of MSFS. Shut down the game, disconnect at the pedals or at the mobo, restart the game and they’re okay. Happened enough times I finally tried the TM drivers. Other times after initial start-up, checking brakes and rudder by eye-balling, release park brake and then loose control on take off and no brakes. c r a s h 
I replace the A/B USB cable but don’t think that was it. It worked fine yesterday. ? ? ? whiskey tango foxtrot 
 over

The Thrustmaster T.flight Rudder Pedal still comes equiped with a RJ12 connector for direct connection on the TM TCA Quadrant or other TM quadrants. The adapter RJ12-usb is for people not using the TM quadrants or older sims relying on DOS/Windows for the drivers.

1 Like

Here is more info on what I did. When I first set up the pedals I connected directly to the pc on a USB 2.0 port. The pedals disconnected several times. I tried different ports and in the end went to a USB 3.0 port but still a lot of disconnections. That is why I tried a USB Hub and that helped some. I am thinking it is a power issue and why the USB hub helps it some.

When I say disconnect, there is no response in the sim, and I crash into the terminal when trying to taxi. In the joy.cpl screen there is no response when moving the axis, brake or rudder. I have to unplug and plug it back in to activate them again. In MSFS I can see the response of the pedals when I initially start the sim and can see full deflection of the pedals when I move them. Sensitivity is showing them moving as well. Then connecting to an aircraft and a few minutes later there is no response and no motion shown in the hardware setup. I have tried three USB cables but no change.

Don’t know what a RJ12 adapter is. Did not come with this hardware.

Auto rudder is not on since I had MFG rudders attached before.

Aircraft tests I conducted last night

PMDG 737 800 and 900 – from 30 seconds to a minute or so before disconnect.
Capt Sim 777 – two or three minutes before disconnection
Capt Sim 767 – two or three minutes before disconnection
Fenix A320 – No taxi and disconnection after 3 minutes
Headwinds A330 – Taxi for about 4 minutes and then disconnection
PMP A330 – two or three minute disconnection

So my fleet of aircraft is grounded. I could take the wings off of my Airbus planes and turn them into real buses.

For the cost of these pedals, I should not have to constantly unplug and plug them in for them to partially work. At least the MFG pedals work as soon as you plug them in and they were half the cost. This afternoon I will do a full flight on X-Plane 11 to make sure they work there. If they do, then MSFS has issues. The bottom line is I am not crawling under my desk to unplug these pedals just to get them to work and I will ship them back. They are a day old.

Dwight

Sure. The T.flight pedals certainly do. The Pendular Rudder pedals AKA TPR don’t. I understood that’s what OP was asking about.

Sounds like you have a bad unit. Connected to your PC, they should never disconnect for want of power. Unless your motherboard has a bad port. I assume you tried all of them?

They are the best mainstream retail pedals out there for my money, though, so if you can get a replacement, I would. YMMV of course.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Try Thrustmaster calibration tool

I am afraid to use any Thrustmaster software since the calibration software that came with the rudder pedals did not wok. It is not a calibration issue, it is a stay connected and let me taxi issue.
I am thinking that the device is bad since the numerous disconnects. Will test some more today.

Dwight

There are others checks you can do . First of all , as RompyAZ suggested in his post, make sure that “authorudder” is set to OFF. Then you should make sure there are no others controls with the same rudder binding (like joystick generally has by default). Last but not least it could be caused by a mod too.If you have any in your Commodity folder ,move them to a different folder and see what happen.
Good luck

1 Like

I was able to do a hour flight in X-Plane 11 without a problem, so that tells me it is a MSFS issue. More testing to follow.

If it’s MSFS specific, then it’s something peculiar about your MSFS. Lots of us have them working out of the box in MSFS, myself included. I plugged my Thrustmaster TPR pedals into a USB2 port on the motherboard on my tower case, started MSFS and never looked back. Sorry I can’t be more helpful than that, but it sounds like yours at least work. Now the challenge is to figure out what MSFS doesn’t like about them.

Ok I uses the program Axis and Ohs to connect to the rudder pedals outside of MSFS. Spad.neXt was a little complicated for me. The rudders worked fine in the program and were able to talk to the aircraft in the program for a few hours but then they dropped off again, not working in both Axis and Ohs and MSFS. Had to unplug and plug back in to make them work. But at least they worked for a few hours. More than the few minutes from before.

I will talk to the help desk at Thrustmaster this week I hope and see what they can provide as a solution.

As a side issue, is there a configuration file in MSFS that I can delete that will reset the program back to default? The reason I ask is during the time my MFG rudders were going bad the pedals could not go back to “0” in their range of motion for the right side. Which I think the large non 0 numbers set the bottom range of the right rudder higher than the left one. If I look at all of the rudder pedals in all aircraft in the sim, the right one is down with limited movement and the left one is up and can move. I want a way to make sure the program is reading the data correctly and not pulling up a saved bias value. Yes you can calibrate the rudder pedals but that does not affect what I am seeing.

Thanks

As for the topic about hidden configurations, I did a quick search and did find that the sim was adding settings to my brakes that I did not see. In one case for the 777 they had set the left brake at 009.88, and the right brake at 039.55. No wonder the right brake was press down and did not move as much as the left one. I will have to edit each aircraft file and fix them.

Dwight

1 Like