Time Compression

There needs to be an option to compress time. Like changing simulation rate on the legacy simulators.
So we can still experience the whole flight in short instead of just jumping to different phases.

Now there could be limitations,
One limitation that I can think of is that the new advanced flight model might be difficult to simulate at 2x or 4x or 8x speed. So when time compression is used, the sim could switch to a simplified flight model and then switch back to the advanced flight model again when simulated in realtime.

Just like that, there could be some more limitations such as loading the world, simulating the weather, similar solutions can be used for those.

Or there might be a whole new way to get around these problems. :thinking:

There already is. I can’t remember the keystroke, maybe ctrl-r and then +/- (check the control setup). Also sim rate does not display on screen, so watch the clock when trying to return to 1x.

2 Likes

Also, autopilot seems to be able to handle up to x4, above that get messy quite fast.

1 Like

Until they implement a sim rate display, you can also go back to 1x by pressing “decrease sim rate” until you’re certain you’re at the slowest (0.25x), then increase it twice.

1 Like

Amazing tip! LOL
I didn’t know what to do sometimes so I would wait until descent and then time by descent rate to make sure i was realtime haha…

Or just look for the clock in your aircraft and count to see whether the seconds are correct.

1 Like

This is exactly what I do all the time when flying FSEconomy flights - I get back to normal time by hitting the bound minus key a bunch of times, then hit the plus key twice, then check that the clock looks like it’s showing real-time seconds just to make sure.

I would LOVE it if MS (or a clever mod programmer) would add a display that would show the time compression rate as part of the UI, and then fade away after a few seconds when you set it back to real-time. This seems like a simple add-on to build, but what do I know? :slight_smile:

Another easy way to determine your sim rate is to turn on your beacon or strobe and take a look from an outside view. In normal time, the beacon/strobe flashes about ONCE PER SECOND.

Hello,
I am closing this, as this is already possible to do. However, some here have indicated that the simulation rate is not displayed when you change it. If this is something you are interested in seeing in the future, you may wish to check out this related topic: