TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

Hi @Pilotpete123, hi All!

as I also just wrote in the BEST FB group “Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Virtual Reality”, I’m very glad to see my old tutorial and this great discussion still alive! The tutorial on top is a bit outdated by now, because both the sim and the Oculus software made such a great progress. Still, the core approach remains the same and luckily there’s a great community in all the comments here keeping it up-to-date with all recent developments, findings and news… IMHO the original guide on top is still a great approach, primarily for the non-high-end GPUs.

With my 3080 and after all the MSFS and Oculus runtime updates and just recently adding the NIS scaling shader tool (link below) I’m blessed to run the sim by now at 100% render-scale AND 1.85 super-sampling with a headset resolution of approx. 3150x3000 and an MSFS in-game render resolution of approx. 2500x2400 due to NIS (don’t have the exact numbers at hand now) and it’s just fantastic. MSFS locked at 30fps in the Nvidia panel, no ASW, butter-smooth and very, very clear, down to the smallest fonts on the Garmins etc.

I really recommend to give the new NIS scaling shader as my latest “VR toy” a try (link below). The only thing is: it runs only via SteamVR (actually OpenVR), which adds one more layer of prep work:

• initially: you have to change your OpenXR gateway from the Oculus-runtime to SteamVR-OpenVR. You do so by launching SteamVR. Under “Developer Settings” you’ll find it saying something like “Make SteamVR my default OpenXR runtime”. By the way, you have now also the same option in the Oculus PC app settings to revert back to Oculus-OXR easily - if needed (some of you will still remember the times where we needed to “code” this in the Khronos Registry key).

The launch sequence with the NIS scaler tool (important!):

1. Launch Sim
  2. Launch Oculus app
  3. Launch OTT / OTD and re-set SS, ASW, FOV
  4. Launch SteamVR
  5. ONLY THEN: launch the NIS scaler config tool

I have my NIS scaling set at 80% and sharpness at 40%
(note: when using NIS, it makes sense to disable the Link sharpening feature in OTT/ODT. I know it looks fantastic, but here together with the NIS sharpening it gets too much and a bit “crumbly”)

I know NIS is now yet another tool and layer, but at least for me the results are certainly worth the hustle. Very keen to hear from you how it works and performs!

1 Like