TnT Quest 2 Settings - Sharp and SMOOOOTH!

Good shout

and what about the quest 2 resolution you set in oculus app ? (and refresh rate and multiplier) ?

1 Like

So quick question, I don’t know if anyone has had this issue… I managed to get my Q2 to be crystal clear and smooth as butter, but then SU6 dropped, and I started getting stuttering again. Then Windows 11 dropped and my Q2 has gone back to stuttering almost like before v29… Been playing with this for HOURS, and cannot get that same clarity and smoothness I had before SU6 and WIN11…

Running standard RTX2070, i7 9900 (I think), 32GB, 1TB SSD.

I have NOT made any changes to VR settings within the sim, which runs smoothly (at my settings mostly medium with some high) if I look at my 2D screen while in VR mode. It seems to be the Q2 which is causing the stuttering. I have tried both link cable and air-link (I have been unsuccessful in getting Virtual Desktop working on my system).

1 Like

Ok, my settings are once again all over the place with results. I cannot seem to run at 1.8 super sampling via OTT and ODT. It will reboot on me eventually when I try to do other things on my system like listen to Spotify or use the browser. Even get this at 1.6. 1.5 seems to be mostly stable, but still nothing buttery smooth.

The main thing I’ve noticed that I need to play with more is the impact of live weather. We’ve been getting a lot more clouds lately, and I have mine set to ultra. When it is completely overcast, I imagine that is massively more taxing then on a cloud free day.

Anyone have good suggestions for more consistent benchmarking?

1 Like

Just another happy flier who’s come to bow before the alter of TonyTazer1504…and to say thank you. Really thought my computer wasn’t up to the task until I tried your setting.

1 Like

Agree’d, After farting around with tons of various other settings I finally went through your post and my changed settings appropriately and now, finally looking great. Still some minor micro studders on the ground, but I can live with how everything else looks, that fine balance between quality and smoothness most achieved. :slight_smile: Thanks TnT.

2 Likes

Setting are low except for clouds - all is smooth. Render still on the magic 60. If flying VFR I’ll increase LOD on both land and objects to 100

Render 60 its how many Solutions?
1800x1800? or 1500x1500?

Been using these settings until today! And then I tried this:

A whole new level of settings that I’ve got now and so much better:

Quest 2
32 RAM
Windows 10

1: 0.00 on super sampling in OTT or 1.7ss with 60 renderscale
2: 0.7 0.7 on FOV
3. ASW off for me
4. Link sharpener enabled
5. 100 renderscale / or alternative 60 with 1.7 SS
6. Oculus software - set to 80Hz and 1.4 x

Was quite amazed!
I’ve got fairly lower settings in sim - keeps the smoothness but I’m ok with that. High settings for both clouds and windshield effects.

The only settings changed are the LODs depending on the aircraft. Higher settings for VFR - lower for IFR

2 Likes

Lately I’ve been rocking very similar to this, except at 90hz, maxed out headset resolution, and 90 in game render resolution with 1.3 SS and 200 terrain draw distance with most settings at med-ultra. Just had a butter smooth flight. At render scaling 80 I could use 30hz ASW. At 90 render it was better off.

This was over the Bay Area and there were clouds.

THANK YOU!!!

This is the solution.

With my setup (3080, i7 10700K) I found running the quest at 80Hz and locking Nvidia settings to 40fps gave me smooth VR while halving my GPU usage. As a result I was able to turn up all the settings in the sim and still only run the GPU at 60%. Previously my GPU was running at 100% all the time no matter what settings I had. Now my temps are not so worrying.

Another thing I noticed is that entering oculus home there is no stuttering or tearing which I used to get when MSFS was running.

Reading your post made so much sense to me, because I am old enough to have spent a few years writing graphics in C for DOS on a 286. In those days one had to handle ‘double buffering’ manually. i.e. draw your pixels to the screen, while that was happening you had to calculate the position of the all the pixels for next frame and get them into memory (16ms for the 60hz monitors in use back then). Then if you didn’t time the call to draw the screen at the moment the screen refresh interrupt was triggered you would get stuttering. Modern languages do all this for you, handled by the DirectX and the GPU. So it make so much sense to throttle the GPU refresh rate to a neat division of the display device refresh rate.

If I had a child, I would give them to you!

Is anyone getting comparable performance and sharpness using Virtual Desktop and the SteamVR runtime? If so, what are your settings there and in SteamVR? I feel like the Link Sharpening for Airlink is much sharper, but I might have my settings wrong.

I want to make Virtual Desktop work because I’d love to use OVR toolkit and can’t get Dash pinned overlays to be stable via Airlink.

hi

where i can make nvidia fps on 30 or 40 fps ?

right click on your desktop and open the Nvidia Settings. there you can change Settings for specific Programs. Look for the msfs exe in the drop down menu

Another little nugget for those using Quest 2 I have found.

Step 1: make sure your Occulus software is off and is not open in task manager either (check and close any oculus software).

Step 2: Open the sim first, load into the flight and when you are there open up Oculus Tray tool save the details.

Step 3: Open up the Oculus Debug tool and make sure the details are copied over - the one that normally changes is the SS. Mine is normally set at 1.7. (they should be the same on the tray tool and debug too)

Step 4: Then you open up the Oculus software on your desktop and go into VR and click on oculus link and open up the sim.

Its a good find, because doing it any other way can give various different outcomes including stutters and resolution changes.

Let me know your thoughts.

Just tried this as I usually do it in a different order. Didn’t notice any differences unfortunately.

Although I tried something else different which gave great results. Usually i turn ASW off, however i tried 30hz using the Tray Tool and I enjoyed a great, low flight around Dubai.

I will try that

hello
asw off and in nvidia Setup max 30fps and its better and more Performance

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I usually do. However in this instance ASW at 30hz gave surprisingly good performance. Who knows why eh.

Agreed - same here!