To the most vocal community members: I am … confused

In my culture we have a saying that goes something like: “If the hat fits…” meaning you get offended if you like but just because you get offended doesn’t make it any less true, on the contrary usually…

3 Likes

It’s worse than that. We did originally get “A”. Then we got “B”, then they tried to fix it with “C”. Then, when the XBox version came out we got “D” which we now appear to be stuck with.

1 Like

I want both

1 Like

No, indeed not. But I think it’s important to be realistic and accept that Asobo aren’t a one-game development house either. At some point they will want to put this to the side and focus on other projects.

If the model is for a core sim world augmented by 3rd party modules then they are already more than half way there. Maybe a year more to stabilize on both platforms and finish the basic features? (I hope that multi monitor support is on the base feature list still) and then they can get on with work on other games.

To be fair, he did what seemed like every other person was screaming to do if you had problems :joy:

In another culture they tend to say “c’est le ton qui fait la musique” :wink:

I see quite a few constructive topics getting derailed by one sentence, five word reactions. Outings of frustration. And while I fully understand that people get frustrated when their sim does not run on their rig, it still is a matter of how we put these into words. What will yield the best result in the end? Soundbites like ‘they are lying to us’, ‘they have my money and leave me in the gutter’, ‘the fanboys are running the show’, etc. Or “Earthlings: I have a problem. This is my configuration, these are my add ons and somehow they don’t work together well. Please help me get back into the skies again.”

2 Likes

Considering this came from them as well, all I can say is time will tell.

If it does make the next 9 years as they’ve said, I am very confident that it won’t be free. It’ll either be an upgrade or a brand new buy, in which case, jumping in 2 years after launch would be the better economic decision given the lack of maturity of the sim.

Again it’s a great marketing tactic that has served then well in the last year. There have been several discussions in which the hopeful amongst us have used the 10 year argument to justify all issues.

I wanna see them succeed, I just worry my definition of success isn’t the same as defined by MS or Asobo.

1 Like

As a proof of concept it’s very interesting but how much does it cost to maintain?
Are MS really going to throw large sums and resources into bing maps quality upgrades?
What’s the server cost to Microsoft if this continues to be really popular? etc.
Given that everything which makes it stand out is streamed the server element is pretty important. What does it look like if MS draw back that aspect of it? Does it stand on its own merits as a sim if you turn all the pretty streamed stuff off?

Too popular and we see server congestion which causes issues.
Not popular enough and…the plug gets pulled?

2 Likes

Because, maybe there were a few votes sarcastically placed? As to CTD’s, that issue has been beat to death in hundreds (or thousands) of posts and the response seems to be “we don’t know what’s causing them or how to fix the problem but we’re working on something”; as to the graphics, well it’s pretty much obvious, whether they’ve admitted it or not, that the graphics were dumbed down to either secure performance improvements or to fit into the Xbox groove (or both); as to the beta testers and what they may have reported to MSFT/Asobo and whether they listened or marched forward anyway, they were all under an NDA and it appears that those folks have rightfully honored the terms of the NDA. We’re stuck with an inferior product compared to SU4 right now and we have to wait til the next update to see if they fix more things or break more things.

1 Like

(irony)
Yep, our lives are hanging in the cloud…
No Bing no Sim.
So we better behave, otherwise they might pull the plug.
(/irony)

Are you really worried about this? Are you equally worried about google, and all the cloud storage providers?

This sim/game is a gamechanger for MS. If I am right about it, it is a gigantic cash cow for them. It featured in their Windows 11 trailer! My hunch is that this tells us a lot. I am very glad that the companies brought simming to the next level. With all the hiccups and setbacks that are part of this process.

4 Likes

Right! I reported bugs with screenshots and I got nothing :joy:. I just have to hope that Asobo already knows and decides to fix it.

Here.They don’t care

1 Like

Simulation has always been a very niche market. It won’t stop being a niche market just because this sim is pretty.
All the leading Sims combined (including combat and space Sims) still only account for a very small part of global games revenue.

To put this into some perspective. Horizon Zero Dawn SOLD 10 million copies in its first 2 years.
(that’s before it even launched on PC)
Will MSFS2020 have SOLD 10 million copies by August next year?

It’s a great title to showcase MS cloud services, as something of a technical curiosity.
With all its online functionality working it sure does look pretty and it serves as a loss leader THIS year as part of the “free to play if you subscribe model” but next year will need a different headline act. 2 years from now how important a title will it be for that subscription model?

1 Like

In that case I am not right about it :grinning:.

It’s quite literally exactly that. I am still convinced that the people who express their negativity towards the sim, are in the extreme minority. The majority of people are actually quite happy with the sim, and the work and dedication of Asobo is greatly appreciated by the many. It’s only the feeling you get from forums such as this and Reddit, where you may think the sim is a failure. But it’s only because all the negative people will likely post 10 times on here. No matter what Asobo does, there will always be a group of people who feel it is not enough. That’s true in all walks of life.

Personally I am having a great time on Xbox. Over the past three weeks, I did end up having 3-4 CTDs, but then again, FSX would CTD every now and again. MSFS is still new, so I’d imagine this is completely normal at the moment.

6 Likes

It is a bit like the old marketing saying, which goes something like this: dissatisfied customers tell 10 others, satisfied customers tell one other. Cheers.

Edit: I think this old philosophy is magnified on electronic Forums.

3 Likes

The market place full of people yelling “hang him, hang him” has only expanded from 200 to 2.000.000 people, lol.

1 Like

That’s not a very nice post to read for people who suffer from this really serious issues.
Could you pull it please?

“CKSURFGIRL” has got it in 1. I said something along those lines in my post earlier…but I personally think we are further down than “D”, somewhere in the region of “G”. To have kept things fair, Microsoft should have made a version of MSFS2020 for the X-Box and left the PC version alone.
:confounded:

1 Like

All of the replies are just talk for or against the flight simulator.

Let the FAA approve or not approve a flight simulator for specific tasks.

1. Aircraft realistic?
  2. Flight plans realistic?
  3. VFR flight realistic?
  4. IFR flight realistic?
  5. Instruments realistic?
  6. Training realistic?
  7. Weather realistic?
    Just samples!
    Commercial flight simulators like CAE are approved by FAA.
    Flight Schools simulators are approved by FAA.

Then you will know if it is a working flight simulator or a game.
END OF STORY.

1 Like