Top Gun Maverick Expansion DLC?

According to multiple online sources, it looks like the MSFS2020 Top Gun Maverick Expansion DLC will be released on May 25, however, only 3ish days away I can find next to nothing on what this will actually include. I did multiple searches on this forum and regular internet searches, as I’m interested in the package, but majority of any search results was the Sep 2021 announcement that this would be delayed until May 2022, and the recent announcement of the May 25 release a few weeks ago, but I could find next to nothing on the actual content. Did I miss something?

1 Like

They haven’t said any more since last year.

I thought there was supposed to be another trailer a few days back.

Ah well, not long now.

Let’s just say that the “mystery” plane that’s in the movie is going to be awesome! Crossing the oceans will be much quicker than before, probably. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As long as there is a challenge to buzz an air traffic control tower and you get points for how much coffee is spilled. :grin:

15 Likes

If you want to see trailers, just watch the Applebee’s latest commercials, there full of teaser clips from the movie.

I understand TC was upset because they wouldn’t let him take an F/A 18 up for real Bwhahahahahah!

Will it be this one?

Looks like an SR-91 Aurora!
The movie showcases an SR-72 Darkstar though…

Can’t wait to land it on Lukla or Saba :smiley:

7 Likes

Yeah, still no info. We can assume the mystery plane, the livery, and a carrier but that’s about it.

Wishing we’d get an F14 too but that’s very unlikely.

Imagine the chaos of everyone trying to land on the carrier at a popular location …
Imagine the AI trying to handle wave offs !
Imagine the AI trying to handle anything …hehe

3 Likes

Definitely not. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Well the Applebee’s commercial I just saw, showed TC in the F/A 18, but as the commercial ended they pictured a F/A 14 flying off into the sunset, so maybe that.

2 Likes

Sounds much more plausible!

I am pretty sure, i know what it will be:

6 Likes

The mystery plane is this. Looks like a lot of fun anyway.

The SR-72 is a real hypersonic drone. The plane in the movie is fictitious but was designed by Lockheed-Martin as something which could apparently conceivably fly.

1 Like

I saw the movie trailer, why does every engine failure end in stall / spin and crash in Top Gun? :expressionless:

3 Likes

Well, sure there is no info on it as it’s sponsored by paramount. They don’t want to get movie related things to be spoiled so Asobo has to be silent on details. It’s basically like an NDA.

My hope is Carrier that work (trap, launch, move) , flight model updates, a plane or two. I really hope we get the 2 seater F-18, and maybe a few other surprises. maybe a laser tag feature for BFM?

4 Likes

Unfortunately, contractual obligations will make that impossible.

Launch and trap are 100% in as you can see on the one and only trailer that the aircraft is launched from a carrier. For the landing part, if you look into the F/A-18s files there is a new interactive point type for the tailhook which would not be needed if there would be no functionality take place in (near) future ;).

It’s also likely that the carrier moves and has a hard deck to land on as that was the case in FSX too and it’s unlikely they downgrade from this.

On the “two seat version” I guess that will be the case cause of the aircraft ui name: F/A-18E/F ← the F-version is the two seat version which could be used in the DLC for flight training missions/tutorials prior the main mission(s).

On the laser tag I’m not that sure as there will likely nothing really related to fighting as the sim itself is rated “for everyone”. That’s the biggest issue right now also preventing drop tanks to happen unfortunately so I don’t keep my personal hopes high on that.

6 Likes

Someone just posted in the what did you do today, what looks to be an official? site for learning the f18 and f14 for the upcoming maverick dlc…so if its a real thing I guess thats what it is.

Here’s the link to the post: What did you do in MSFS today? - #8002 by Kinneas2020

Let’s be fair, Top Gun is an action movie - it’s not a documentary and does not serve any educational purpose. And it’s Hollywood, so it’s expected to be overly dramatic.
Most movies about aviation are filled with errors and inaccuracies but I’m fine with that as long as it’s labeled as being a movie.

There are just two movies around with not as much “bugs”: Sully and 7500 but I think something to warm your heart is how Kelsey roasts movies: