Top Mach Studios: Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

Thanks! But I’m not party if one anymore. @Dakfly0219 has been amazing at getting the flight dynamics ironed out for us. He deserves most of the credit.

1 Like

We’re still ironing out details on future plans for releases. I’ll make sure and keep you guys updated here once we get it all figured out. Until then, my github is still the official way of downloading the plane.

1 Like

I only found a couple of issues which are very minor but as someone who used to develop planes back in the FS98 through FS2004 days I had an OCD about my planes being as good as I could get it.

• The engine auto starter when pressing the normal control + E does not start the engines. You have to mess with the switches some to get the engines to start.

-When AP is on it is kind of hard to turn the plane, you kind of have to fight with it to bank on turns a little. Besides that the AP is close to perfect, the plane shakes a little at high speeds at high altitude with the AP on but that is a MSFS issue with the physics engine and I do not think can be fixed.

• The spoilers (air brakes) have no animation associated with them I noticed.

• The HUD is a little laggy and blurry at times You can still see it but might need a little stream lining

Other than that the flight dynamics are great and as I stated in a previous reply this is the best supersonic aircraft yet for this version of Flight Sim. The plane handles very well, approaches well, no throw to the sides on high speed landings, and touch downs are very smooth. Keep up the good work I give it 4.99 stars out of 5 :smile:

1 Like

That should be fixable no problem. But going to hold off on it until we get everything with the engines where we like it, as it’ll be another thing we’ll have to change every time we modify the engines.

Are you talking about adjusting the heading bug to make the plane turn? The plane should go to a full 60 degree bank if the bug is set to something like 90 degrees from the plane’s heading.

That is fixed and will be in the next release. The animation has the rudders oppose each other just like the real aircraft. The rudder animation takes spoilers into account and adjusts accordingly. Looks super smooth.

This is fixable by setting Anti-Aliasing to anything except TAA(which is default). It seems to be a bug with how alpha blend is displayed in the software. That’s the only fix that works right now I’m afraid.

Thanks for the critiques! I’m glad you’re enjoying it so much. There is a huge list of future improvements planned, so keep checking back here for updates.

1 Like

I am talking about manually making a turn while auto pilot is engaged.

Oh, I understand now. Yeah, that’s a condition I haven’t tackled yet. Right now, FBW completely disengages and the a/c uses the default Asobo autopilot when selected, so if you’re using only using autopilot for pitch, then banking would be the same as trying to bank without FBW. At some point I’m either going to include autopilot into the FBW module and do away with the Asobo version, or split up the Pitch/Roll/Yaw and disable each depending on what’s used for ap. It may be awhile though, there’s a lot on my plate at the moment that needs to be worked on first.

First of all, I want to say this is an awesome plane to fly!

I have noticed that there is a performance hit most likely due to the HUD and glass cockpit when in dense areas. With the DC Designs F15, when I am noticing a performance hit, if I turn off the HUD, things get much better.

With the F22, I am only seeing a way to turn down the brightness at the moment, and turning the brightness down all the way, doesn’t seem to help with performance. Is there a way to completely turn off the HUD and/or glass cockpit in-flight?

The performance hit is coming from the MFD’s. Specifically the bing map portion. It has its own refresh rate that I can’t slow down to improve performance. One thing I did add that helps a little, is in the PMFD:

PFD Settings->Other PFD Settings->R. Rate

Set that to low and it should help, but not by much.

I don’t have plans on adding a switch to turn off the MFD’s, but continue to improve the performance on them. I worked out all the kinks with the HUD a few updates ago, and there’s no noticable difference in framerate with or without the HUD modeled in the game now. The next resource hog is the PMFD’s synthetic display. That’ll be the next thing to tackle.

I wonder how possible it would be to include the auto-trim and thrust rating for take off :thinking: it’s a neat feature the F-22 has… perhaps something down the line.

It’s definitely in the realm of possibility. But as you said, it will be awhile before we can do something with it.

1 Like

you need to have something to help get the plane started from cold and dark. I spent a half an hour trying to start the engines and got nowhere.

APU On
APU Gen Switches Both On
ENG1 Starter On
ENG2 Starter On

That should get you running. Engine controls are added to the MFD’s and will be working in the next update.

I tried your procedure but all I get is N2 going to 25% and N1 stays at 1%. No response to throttle input either.

Okay, that means the fuel pumps are off. With this version, there’s no way to control the fuel pumps. It’s fixed with the added engine controls in the MFDs. I’ll try to get an update pushed out this weekend since it’s a pretty serious bug. Monday at the latest.
Thanks for letting me know! Would have had no idea.

The only way I could get the engines started was using CTRL E.

1 Like

have great fun today , pursuing airliners :smiley: , traffic on displays is nice touch. Thanks for this plane , looking forward to updates :slight_smile: ,

1 Like

I have been messing with the source code a little. I have gotten the airspeed up to Mach 3.6 (not realistic but makes those long flights go by quicker) with stable ground movement. I also used the source code to create my own personal Concorde as well. Obviously not releasing the Concorde as it is not 100% my work etc.

Glad you’re enjoying tinkering with those .cfg files. I assume by “source code” you mean the flight_model.cfg and engines.cfg files? If so, those are essential Asobo files that are part of every aircraft model and not so much source code as a set of parameters that determines how each aircraft will perform and behave. Evan and I have modified those files to incorporate specifications and performance for the F-22, but as you’ve discovered, you can modify them to reproduce just about any type of aircraft you’d like, subject to the underlying limitations of the sim’s executable software itself.

By source code I mean the modifications you and Evan have made. I used to work with a few aircraft development projects just do not have time to work on it like I used to.

FSX and P3D had a Mach 4.5 limit on aircraft. My next experiment is to see how fast I can get the plane to go but of course it wont sit still on the ground etc. It is really hard to balance speed in air yet let it not just roll on the ground like the F22 does. I did get to M3.9 with it sitting at zero thrust on the ground without rolling.

The M4.5 (2666 ktas) limitation still exists. Also, there is an acceleration feature in the sim that allows you to accelerate the sim rate rather than modifying the aircraft to go faster than it should.