TrackIR movements are not smooth

:wave: Thank you using the Bug section, using templates provided will greatly help the team reproducing the issue and ease the process of fixing it.

Are you using Developer Mode or made changes in it?

Yes

Brief description of the issue:

Head movements are not smooth in game both in cockpit or external view when using TrackIR, while they are completely smooth in the TrackIR application itself (preview window). It seems as is the input frequency in game was not fast enough or it´s latency was too high. You clearly notice the jumps while looking around. Head movements in game using mouse or joystick POV are also not smooth but they are a bit better. So this may be an issue related to those camera controls and not to TrackIR peripheral itself, even if with TrackIR the results are still not optimal.

Provide Screenshot(s)/video(s) of the issue encountered:

N/A

Detailed steps to reproduce the issue encountered:

Look around using TrackIR

PC specs and/or peripheral set up if relevant:

Windows 11

:loudspeaker: For anyone who wants to contribute on this issue, Click on the button below to use this template:

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

same issue here, maybe we need some advice in config settings of the app

Is not the app but how game reproduces those inputs. As I wrote in the TrackIR app the camera movements are reproduced smoothly. This is what I have in the settings and I have been using TrackIR for years without issues.

Cheers

2 Likes

TrackIR updates at 120hz, so vsync 60 or 30 would be sufficient in game. I’m not sure why you have your Smoothness up so high or the speed at .8. Try Speed 1 and Smooth 20.

I use G-sync, not V-sync, and my screen is indeed running at 120Hz. I use those settings because I don´t want to have a 360º turn on head movements, just a bit more than 180º. It´s easier to have precise movements in the cockpit.

Cheers

Try setting your monitor to 60 hz.

The problem is not the monitor refresh because with G-sync refresh is sync by monitor chip itself and that has nothing to do with TrackIR. It´s not TrackIR either as it works perfect both on the rest of games and on the app camera visualization too and it worked better (while still not perfect) prior to beta. But it uses the Simconnect interface to send the commands to game. There´s most likely the issue if they didn´t update the dll in accordance.

Cheers

1 Like

My settings, and butter smooth:

1 Like

Is it the same for DX11 and DX12? I know DX12 manages it’s own frame queue whereas DX11 uses the driver frame queue.

My settings are similar, with maybe a bit bigger deadzone “bucket” in the middle and it’s smooth on my machine.

I’m running MSFS/TrackIR on an i5 with a RTX 3060 and 32 GB of RAM on a 3840 x 1440 monitor. All the game settings are default, as it configured itself when I installed it. Never had any problems with smoothness, either with TrackIR or my frame rates.

Of course, I’m not flying 3rd party airliners out of fancy 3rd party airports. (I typically fly the stock Cesena 152 out of regional airports with live traffic and weather). I understand that some aircraft and airports impact the sim’s performance. Maybe that’s a factor? TrackIR is just the proverbial straw that’s breaking the camel’s back on some machines?

Is this not just a low FPS issue? One of the reasons I like high FPS is that TrackIR always looks pretty jerky to me when the sim is below 40FPS. Below 30FPS and its just awful. Right now with SU10 there’s a lot of instances where its below 30FPS on the ground at airports. As reported in other threads there does seem to be a performance hit with SU10 and camera movement seems to suddenly knock the FPS down momentarily. Obviously TrackIR is particularly effected with this.

The issue has nothing to do with low fps because it happens also at 50-60fps. TrackIR is like a mouse or any other joystick but the input conversion from TrackIR to head movements in game is not fast enough and that leads to clearly noticeable movement steps instead of a continuous and smooth head movement, even if you have configured a smooth profile in the aplication.

Cheers

The extra strain of MSFS on the cpu cannot help so maybe try turning LOD or traffic down a notch or two while using TrackIR.

Hi @geloxo, just to confirm: you only started experiencing these issues with TrackIR after joining the SU10 beta?

Yes, after beta. Before beta the movements were not perfect anyway but now with beta are even less smooth. Camera moves very bumpy.

Cheers

Sorry if you said this already are you using DX11 or DX12 when you have this problem?

Thank you for confirming!

1 Like

DX11 is what I mainly use so far. But it happened with the early betas under DX12 too. I didn´t test DX12 much more with latest beta due to the graphical issues.

Cheers

1 Like

Do you have the same issue if you follow the OP’s steps to reproduce it?

Yes

Provide extra information to complete the original description of the issue:

I believe this is related to the high main thread timings introduced in 1.27.11.0. In SU9, TrackIR could be a little stuttery at times. The first SU10 beta 1.27.9.0 seemed to fix all graphical stutters and TrackIR was butter smooth. The performance regressions in 1.27.11.0 brought back the TrackIR stuttering worse than it is in the public branch.

If relevant, provide additional screenshots/video:

2 Likes

I’ve just started playing around with head tracking using Aruco (it’s free) and have noticed any light in the background e.g. from even a shuttered window can mess up the tracking. Come evening everything moves smoothly again.