Traffic changes - implications to simconnect (FSLTL / AIG)

Seems like there a re a lot of SU11 40th anniversary bugs listed there though. I’ve found a few myself. I think their beta testing period was far too short for this release, and many of the new goodies not beta tested at all.

Off topic but I’m just chuckling at the way some of these are written, “in helicopters snow and rain appear inside the cockpit, users should ignore this”. It made me laugh way more than it should…

3 Likes

I think that is it exactly, just a list of bugs in SU11 as there’s only one VR bug listed but there’s loads more than that in reality.

2 Likes

At this rate they will be patching primarily SU11 bugs in next release (unless there is some kind of hotfix). Which won’t help with all the other things the sim is lacking like proper overhaul of the AI traffic system.

SU11 has so many bugs I’ve found. eg helicopters won’t spawn at certain 3rd party airport/gate combos, flight goes into infinite loading instead. Some anniversay activities like (go visit Meigs nostalgia flight) has ‘Fly’ shaded out. Some helis spawn at heliports on top of heliport buildings. etc Just untested stuff that a proper beta test period or a non rushed deadline would have caught.

SU10 simconnect incoming traffic I am missing. AI landings in FSLTL are sparse as we know, and taxiing aircraft throttling to 100% N1, are noisy, requiring a global volume adjust down for “other aircraft” in sound settings.
Apart from the new aircraft types SU11 is a bit of a mixed bag especially from a bugs POV.

There is also no mention of the wasm compile issue that has handicapped the A310 performance for many people.

3 Likes

While I understand frustrations about AI traffic, I will definitely disagree with your ending statement about Jorg. He is extremely invested in the issues brought up by core simmers, and I constantly see that firsthand. While changes and improvements can be seen as too slow, the whole team is dedicated to bring about improvements that core simmers care about. It is unfortunate when bugs and regressions occur, but they are being prioritized and fixed in a timeline that works for the team.

Certainly AI traffic, and specifically the issues being discussed in this thread, is a topic is being discussed and worked on internally with high importance.

30 Likes

Thanks and sincerely agree with the sentiment of your post. Lots of incredible work in SU11 that demonstrates Jorg’s (and, team’s) commitment to making the FS platform an enduring and evolving experience for simmers. In the long run, it will pay off.

The AI is a bummer though. Especially, since FSLTL had just come out and represented a big step forward. Happy to hear AI is being worked on with high importance and urgency.

3 Likes

The problem is there’s been far too many regressions in most Sim Updates since release, as you know from my VR regression thread we’re still waiting over a year on for those regressions to be fixed with no idea when they’ll be fixed. That breeds frustration, frustration leads to anger and disappointment when updates come and go whilst those old bugs still go unattended, instead new areas get broken then get a higher priority.

The issue here with the AI is quite simple, it was a mistake by the team to include any changes knowing full well they had a set deadline to release this update, therefore not enough time to made amends and no word on whether a hotfix is in the pipeline. They clearly should’ve held back many changes for a future update, instead it’s yet another SU with big regressions that could’ve been easily avoided - these mistakes keep happening and I’m sorry to say but it falls on Jorgs shoulders as he’s in charge. He may well care deeply, but actions speak louder than words in a Q&A and two plus years on I for one am seeing very little improvement in preventing major regressions from happening.

It’s disappointing that we (I) continually have to scream to make our voices heard - you break something then you act quickly to fix it, much quicker than has been happening since release, lessons must be learnt.

4 Likes

I agree. What Asobo are doing with this sim is fantastic, they’re not going to get it right all the time because it’s just so complex.

With that said, are you able to shed any light on why they went ahead with these AI changes to SU11 when they knew that they made things worse on the one hand, but also broke entirely fantastic 3rd party apps that were giving us, the players, what we’ve been craving. Given the changes didn’t work it seems to me like the sensible course of action would have been to remove the changes for SU11 to do more work on it, leaving the SU10 implementation in situ until they had bullet proof improvements.

I know they’ll sort it in the end, it’s just a little frustrating we had a working alternative under SU10 that has been broken by SU11.

5 Likes

Wondering why the most immersion breaking bug about snow coverage was then once completely ignored although ranked in the top 10 for a Q&A session and the next time even removed as valid question for a Q&A session and as such, more than two years after release still nothing done about it. Several bugs and how they are handled contradict your statement 100%, sorry to say…

3 Likes

I would like to know why the so called AI Traffic “improvements” were implemented with the final release of SU11, when many of us using the BETA SU11 had stated many times AI Traffic was broken and suggested to leave the AI Traffic alone as it was in SU 10.

And to add to that there is a terrible sound bug. Taxing AI Traffic sound like they are on the runway taking off…lol.

I am sure these bugs will get worked out eventually. Would it be possible to release a hotfix so we don’t have to wait for SU12? Or release a “fix” that would revert the AI Traffic back to SU10?

8 Likes

I can confirm this (at least from AIG point of view), the last few days have been very productive on the current major AI issues, loking forward to see the fixes/changes in the next updates :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Kaiii3 please don’t forget the planes stacking up on top of each other, reducing the FPS and not being deleted even when the injectors are shut down! Hopefully Asobo can fix this. With SU11 I am noticing that 3rd party traffics, all kinds (even GSX pro), reduce the FPS significantly when active (specially when passengers are boarding/deboarding - more textures). This wasn’t the case before. Hope they come up with a solution. Thank you for not giving up on this and working with Asobo to get things better…

2 Likes

I am at the moment 75% sure this is not an AI issue… On my tests some other airport related objects did not load as well, so it seems to me that the airport itself is not loaded correctly. And in that case all Airplanes will spawn always at the Airport Reference Point. Untill I have a 100% way to replicate this and know what is missing to get it working, I can not report to Asobo without having them to spend to much time reproducing the issue as well. The best bug report to Asobo is telling them what to do to replicate and at the same time already a first point where to look for the issue^^

3 Likes

FWIW, things like fixes to AI traffic should not be released until they’re complete. The team knew a week or two prior to the SU11 release that they broke this functionality. I don’t understand how hard it would have been to pull these AI fixes changesets out of the code base, but it could have been avoided.

I also would like to understand what is being done about AI traffic in this simulator. We heard early this year that the code is FSX based and is so hosed that it needs complete refactoring effort and at some point Asobo looked to hire a developer just to do that. We have been asking for AI and ATC improvements for 2.5 years now and literally everyone in the community senses that not only there’s no transparent road map from the team, we are constantly being assured and during Q&A sessions, we literally spend 30 seconds on the matter and are sweeping the matter under the rug.

I’m obviously pretty passionate about this topic and trying hard to be patient, but as of today it’s been 820 days since release and we get absolutely nothing, so it’s frustrating to say the least.

8 Likes

Are we flirting with the hotfix here, or need to wait until SU12, or we don’t know?

1 Like

Ok. I have filed with Asobo regarding this. This has nothing to do with any airport and scenery and in fact wasn’t an issue before SU10. It occurs when you return to an airport without exiting the Sim. No matter which airport it is, when you return to it, you will see all AI planes stacked up on top of each other at one location. Happens with both AIG TC and FSLTL. In fact it seems like TC slows down somewhere along the line and freezes! The bigger problem is even if you close the injector the AI Planes stay stacked on top of each other at the center of airport! Something doesn’t get cleared, cleaned up somewhere!

2 Likes

Thank you for posting. I’m happy to hear from you that Asobo is investing time and resources into AI traffic. Part of me would like to think that with Helicopters now done and out, the next major project would be to take care of this 2-year old wish we all would be happy to see improved the way it really deserves.

1 Like

So with a new beta coming to address SU11 issues, lets hope this includes some AI changes. FSLTL hasn’t received any updates on our dev support ticket to suggest thats the case, but I’m hopefully given it seems AIG have some insider knowledge - lol

1 Like

I hope so! From their initial comments it doesn’t seem likely. Online stability, crashes, and the A310 (WASM?) were the only three things discussed.

1 Like

How exciting. Seeing as I haven’t left the Beta from Beta 11, I look forward to opening the sim back up and being prompted. Currently in the middle of a flight but will check when I finish. Happy to test out the AI again. Not bad for releasing a SU11 Beta Beta under a week from release.