Transatlantic 737 Flights?

Curious, do 737s currently fly any regular transatlantic flights? I know Westjet used to fly across the pond, but any still today?

Hello,
We have a subcategory for real-life aviation. Please use that. I have moved your question.

1 Like

ADSB doesn’t show any at the moment. :slight_smile: There’s an -800 currently flying from Reykjavik towards the UK, but the owner/operator isn’t showing for me. Could be a charter.

Icelandair also has some 737 MAX’s en route to the UK and Chicago this morning, too. So not a “full” trans-Atlantic op like UK to the US, but Iceland to Chicago is not a short flight.

1 Like

A few years ago I was supposed to be on a SAS flight from Copenhagen to Newark on a large wide body airbus, however it was cancelled and they put me on a flight from Copenhagen to Boston. I was shocked when I boarded a 737. Let me tell you 8 hours over the Atlantic on a 737 was aweful. Way too small for such a long flight.

3 Likes

WestJet flys Max 8s trans-atlantic to

Halifax- Paris CDG
Halifax-Dublin
Toronto-Dublin
Toronto-Edinburgh
Toronto-Glasgow

If you look at all the pictures of the recent (ref - door plug) 737 Max incident you can clearly see the ETOPS rating on the front landing gear doors. So they are cleared for extended range and should be able to cross the atlantic ocean.
Now - not sure you should… I would try to rebook my flight… :wink:

It’s not just ETOPS certification - a lot of times it’s just plain old range. Range will be dramatically affected by weather - the jet stream makes a huge difference in whether an aircraft can make the westbound route. Just load up Simbrief and a wind-tracking site and start playing around. You’ll see.