Transferring FS2020 to an SSD drive

I am considering transferring FS2020 to a Samsung 1 tb SSD drive.

Currently, my Steam Library is on an older E Drive. So I would copy the complete Steam Library to the SSD drive, and delete same on E Drive?

Question: How do I get Windows 10 to point to the new SSD drive (for MS2020) instead of the E drive ?

Can the SSD drive be connected via USB (External) or does it have to be installed into my PC ?

Thanks in advance

what you could do is copy the entire content of the E drive to the new Samsung 1 tb SSD drive, which we will assume for argument sake you have named X drive having used “compmgmt.msc” to format etc the new Samsung 1 tb SSD drive and give it the X drive letter.

once that is done using compmgmt.msc you will unassign the E letter from the old drive and for example assign it the letter Z, you will then unassign the X letter from the Samsung 1 tb SSD drive and give it the E letter.

thus the Samsung 1 tb SSD drive will ultimately replace the old E drive and become E itself, you can then give whatever drive letter you then prefer to the old drive.

or

that is assuming the standard way of moving a steam game from one Steam Library folder to another Steam Library folder on another drive doesn’t work - which is just dome by clicking the properties for the given game in the steam application (click on the game, select properties, local files, move install folder)

it really depend what else is on your currant E drive and must that stay as E.

I cloned msfs to a new m.2 SSD using Macrium Reflect (free). Because of DRM I had to run a repair afterwards, but it only took a few minutes and everything has run perfectly since and I’ve wiped the original drive to use for other things.

You can :
Right click Start
Click Settings
Click APPs
Click Microsoft Flight Simulator
Click Move
Select the drive you want to move it to

Thanks for all your replies. My last question…
Can the SSD drive be connected via USB (External) or does it have to be installed into my PC ?

I would recommend using a build-in SSD, but if your USB connector is new (version 3.2), you could probably get away with running it from an external drive.

If not, go for an internal SSD, because of transfer speed concerns.

OK Thanks :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.