Trees are making many cities look like post apocalyptic waste lands

PC / MS Store / No developer mode

I’m really enjoying flying around anywhere I want and having such true to life scenery. However, many cities in particular look like they’ve been abandoned for decades and become overrun with massive vegetation. I like flying to various state capitols in the U.S. and finding the capitol buildings but many of them have massive trees growing in them that show through. (I would have included a screenshot but I only fly in VR these days and there is no way to program a screenshot function to my controls from within the sim (and I don’t like fiddling in with the external apps).

I’m not a dev but I’ve tinkered with some programming and it seems to me there should be someway to stop trees from spawning in and around buildings. And maybe tinkering with the maximum size of trees located within urban areas (or within a certain distance of buildings) might help this problem. I realize that many cities do have some big trees around, but I think making the mistake of undersizing some trees would look a lot better than the situation as it stands now.

BTW, this has been a significant issue since the beta at least. In fact, I did post some screenshots back during the beta of buildings with trees growing out of them, so I was a bit disappointed to come back to it a year later and see the same problem.

Agreed. Some areas get downright ugly from 500 feet give or take. There shouldn’t be trees IN the road. Presumably they know where the roads are right?

Another thing I find puzzling is the roads/streets in urban areas (LA or Seattle suburbs for example) that have road markings, but don’t look anything like pavement/concrete/blacktop. The sim clearly knows it’s a road…there are cars driving on it and it has markings and it’s in or near a city, but the autogen paints it green. Surprised this doesn’t get more attention.

The size of trees in photogrametry areas are much bigger than those without for some reason. Turn the PG off and trees return to something more sensible.

It’s an old bug that desperately needs fixing.

1 Like

That’s indeed what happens. Areas without photogrammetry look just fine, especially after SU6 and the tree LOD fixes. Photogrammetric cities however seem to have a tree scaling issue.

So, did anyone file this officially already?

I have done with screen shots. Pretty sure they are aware and working on it, just there’s bigger things to fix first.

I thought that was Photogrammetry