Trees on approach

This is less of a bug than an oversight.

There are a lot of airports in FS where you will encounter trees high enough to be in the glidepath. I’m sure it’s a limitation of the AI FS2020 uses for the landscape, where low bushes look the same as 100 ft trees from aerial photographs.

It seems that there is a very simple fix to this. In real life, any managed airport will ensure that any trees or foliage that encroaches the standard 3 degree glideslope (plus a safety margin, call it 2 degrees) is cut down to bush level.

I would think that it would not be difficult for Asobo to put in a modifier for the AI that ensures the same thing - assume any foliage that appears under the glidepath does not go higher than the 2 degree line from the threshold, unless the airport is marked as disused or uncontrolled in which anything goes.

Thoughts?

I agree whole heartedly. I got sick of emailing help desk about it, my favorite Airport (YSCB - RWY 35) has this issue on approach and nothing has been done about it (or others)
Mind you, it’s the only issue I have with the sim :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m doing a bunch of Neofly missions which has me landing in all sorts of small airfields in the east coast suburbs. These are nice little 1700 to 2000 ft airstrips in affluent areas, and surrounded by trees - but this ‘bug’ basically means half the runway is unusable because of the high trees at both ends. You just know it’s better than this in real life.

3 Likes

I feel like I’ve run into AI generated trees in glide paths way more than I should. Sure, in bush flying there are plenty of approaches where you are not following a typical glide path, but when you are landing at a paved, illuminated, papi equipped runway, you’d expect them not to let trees grow in the glide path.

I get the AI isn’t perfect and don’t expect it to be, but I feel this is a little bit of an issue. I just flew an MB339 into a tree I thought I was clear of with 3 whites on the papi and AOA dead on. What are your experiences?

17 Likes

Since the last update it happend to me two times. I’m usually quite good at not hitting them but sometimes they seem to span at the very last second.

I just had this happen on final to 12R at MMUN (Cancun, Mexico) after flying around in Hurricane Ida.

Been there. We need the Lumberjack guy who helped fix this in FSX. Sometimes, the clearway is sketchy in real life but not at a well used municipal airport (and larger).

2 Likes

I was perplexed by the placement of a particularly problematic palm on approach into La Palma.

14 Likes

At first I thought you were trying to put down an a320 on a runway that short.

You’re teasing me with the CRJ and Xbox portrait!

That must be the palm the airport is named after🤣

Are there several at GCLP?

4 Likes

7200ft runway. Should be fine with A320 for landing and flex thrust takeoffs below 30c

Really?? That does not look like 7200’ from your screenshot - yeah, plenty of runway.

But I don’t pay for fuel or maintenance in sim world. Toga! Toga! Toga!

2 Likes

True, runway looks short because he’s artificially high (4-whites on the PAPI) due to the dumb placed trees on the approach. Such bugs prevent landings that should be possible.

Yes, I have seen trees and even houses (tall houses)

In reality, the OLS (Obstacle Limitation Surface(s) - imaginary lines with a specific angle emanating up and out from a runway that obstacles cannot impinge, depending on intended use of the runway, i.e. with/without an instrument approach) are tightly regulated.

I imagine this could be simulated effectively in MSFS, whereby the height of auto-gen scenery could be automatically adjusted to ensure it remains below these surfaces.

11 Likes

I think I saw a tree in the glidepath at PHTO (Hilo)
recently…

Seems to be a few trees on short finals into EGBJ on runway 09 that could do with a visit from the tree surgeon.

That’s why they call it la Palma :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Hi guys I have also experienced this problem with the trees that even go close to the runway, is there a way to get rid off these trees?

Here was my approach into WATT

2 Likes