Troubleshooting scenery stutters on high-end hardware (RTX 4090 / 5900X / Reverb G2)

I mean power management mode. I am not at my PC at the moment, sorry for the confusion :roll_eyes:

1 Like

So I have been monitoring this thread since I was having the same issues with my G2 on a high spec pc (3080ti 9900k 64gb ddr4 nvme drives etx). I first of all want to thank you all for the constructive discussions. I have learnt a lot from you and I really appreciate that. I am really happy to say that I now have no stutters whatsoever even in complex airports for example. Here is what worked for me:-

IN MSFS:-

• DX12 enabled
  • Dlss on balanced
  • motion reprojection on
  • resolution at 90
  • Lod radius 160
  • trees, buildings, objects on high

IN OPEN XR

• resolution at 100
  • reprojection on automatic

RIVA TUNER

• FPS limit to 45 fps

WINDOWS

• game mode off
  • hardware gpu scheduling off

NVIDIA EXPERIENCE

• uninstalled.

I donā€™t use the openxr tool now. Downsides with Dlss is that there is a noticeable blur when numbers are changing rapidly. But Iā€™ll live with that for absolutely amazing performance.

Thank you again everyone!

1 Like

Just as I have gotten everything smooth, I now have a HUGE stutter that occurs EXACTLY every 60 seconds, where frame rate drops dramatically and then recovers. At this exact point in time, CPU and GPU usage take a huge drop and then recover 1-2 seconds later. This makes it unplayable. Iā€™ve done some research and found various things I will try out later, but has anyone per chance had a similar issue and solved it?

BTW it only happens in MSFS, and even in the menus when no flight is loaded. Common culprit seems to be desktop slideshow, but I donā€™t use this.

EDIT: Still not sure what caused it but at least I was able to get rid of it by restoring a backup from 4 days earlier.

So Iā€™m pretty sure most stuttering is caused by network buffering, sometimes mine downloads at 200mbit
Tried flying over the same area a few times, didnā€™t seem to help.
Reducing textures to high and buildings lod to 150 did though.
I was very surprised at how much it was downloading, particularly over cities.

I mainly fly in rural areas with gliders and biplanes, so far I have been able to maintain 45fps MR in these scenarios. No stutters at all with the 5800x3D. 100% OXR and TAA, LODs at 200 and 150. I have had the issue where, if I come out of VR and then go back in, my frame rates tank, which is annoying as it never happened with my Radeon 6800XT. Both the CPU and GPU are underutilised when this happens. Not sure if itā€™s SU 11 beta, or an nVidia driver issue.

This has always happened to me with my 3080. The simple solution I have adopted is to stay in VR once Iā€™ve made the jump. :slight_smile:

An additional observation I made was that I HAVE to disable photogrammetry to get very good performance. Even with small amounts of photogrammetry the performance reduces by about 50% despite having a fiber Internet connection. Once I disabled photogrammetry, the performance is excellent.

Well, for me personally disabling photogrammetry is like having a great performance when cutting resolution by 50% - true but irrelevant. I want to see all the graphical glory MSFS is capable of, with minimal compromises.

Strange. I havenā€™t experienced this isssue 12900k/4090/G2. I keep reprojection disabled. Iā€™ve had problems with reprojection in other games.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. But when the ai has done an OK job of assigning buildings etc, I can live without photogrammetry. I mostly do ifr flying anyway. Its strange because before su10 I had no performance issues at all. It was running perfectly with photogrammetry.

This issue may be related to desktop window manager.exe
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/windows-11-22h2-update-do-not-install-yet/545137/173?u=sametsafak

1 Like

I suspect itā€™s related to CPU performance. 12900k has much better single-core performance than 5900X as far as I recallā€¦ So I have high hopes for 7900X3D upgrade but that will happen in February at the soonestā€¦

3090, 5800x3d, g2 user here and itā€™s been happening to me for so long.
So very annoying as I fly slow and low 90% of the time, frametimes are very good so it isnā€™t that. Last time It was smooth was one of the first su10 betas where it was almost perfect, the first su11 was ok but not for long.
I have a hunch that itā€™s the reprojection not working correctly with the sim, it gets out of sync somehow.

2 Likes

Yes, it is like out of sync. But it has to do with the sim, not motion reprojection. You can see it with MR off. Itā€™s harder to tell because everything is blurry without MR when you fly low and look down. But if you look closely, the scenery ā€œfast forwardā€ to catch up every few seconds.

2 Likes

Which is what i meant in a roundabout way.
And I think the people who say they have fluid frames with mr off have worse eyesight than meā€¦

I have fluid frames and have never used MR. Locked at 45FPS in most spots. I was already doing that before but itā€™s become a lot more fluid since upgrading CPU to a 7700x,i guess the extra L3 cache really helps.

90 would be ideal though, wonder if the next 3D chip and a 4090 would achieve that. But 45 with consistent frame pacing, high setti gs, high render scale and no DLSS would already be amazing too

pimax 8kx and quest 2.

Hey Guys,

i have also stutters but only on Grund when iam on the Gate. In flight and onTaxi everthing is fine and Smooth in flight 35-37fps. I7700K 3060Ti 32Gb Ram Reverb G2, MR off, DLSS Quality TLOD 125 dont know what it is it is only on ground.

Interesting find tonight:
As a quest user I have been wrestling with the microstuttering for a long time. Tried every tip and trick, low settings, high settings, Mainthread limited, GPU limited, MR on or off, etc, etc.
Suddenly I remembered that way back when I started with VR and Virtual Desktop I used Steam VR. Just for fun I gave it a try and Lo and Behold, Almost no stutters with the same settingsā€¦

I will test some more the coming days and post my experiments, but my first reaction is very positive

What HMD do you have? Steam VR was always notoriously bad with WMR HMDs.

1 Like