Troubleshooting scenery stutters on high-end hardware (RTX 4090 / 5900X / Reverb G2)

I managed to reduce the stutter to almost 0 for low level heli flight, I took me a lot of testing but finally settled on global rendering quality medium with dlss on balanced, resolution of my valve index on 150%, motion smoothing on (very important), refresh rate to 120 (90 caused a lot of stutters), I have a 4090 with a 5900x3d.

It looks ok, could be a bit sharper but I can read everything fine including glass panel details. It’s the first time in almost two years that I can fly stutter free, before I also had the problem of stutters if you look to the side or with rapid head movements.

1 Like

Unless the vcache solution offers diminishing returns. I would wait for the reviews before making that assumption.

Sure, reviews will be available before I could actually buy the CPU, even if I were able to get it soon after the release (like I did with RTX3080, 5900X, RTX4090). So it will be an easy call. By all rumors it should be up to 30% faster than a non-X3D, meaning it will top Intel for sure. The worrying rumor is that only 6 and 8 core variants will be released. So 7800X3D, not 7900X3D. As I use my PC for CPU-intensive work - web design, MSFS scenery production, 3D, 4K video editing, graphic design etc. - 8-core could be a downgrade from current 12-core for me. So that will need careful consideration. if they release a 12-core variant, I’m fairly sure I’d get it.

1 Like

Isn’t the 5800x3D already better for MSFS than the 13900k? In which case, even dimishing returns wouldn’t matter.

The problem for me that is’s worse than 12-core 5900X that I have now for everything else :slight_smile: I don’t want to pay significant money for a downgrade :slight_smile: Next generation should be an upgrade though. We’ll see…

With the money you have already spent on MSFS, why don’t you just build two PCs, one for gaming and one for productivity? You must have a box full of spare bits already ( I know I have, lol).

Because both my work and play demand a high-end hardware :slight_smile: There’s no sense comproising one for the other, while spending more money. When the benchmarks are out for X3D and it’s known how many cores are available, I’ll make a decision. I could go with Intel, or 7800X3D if 7900X3D is available. If 7800X3D is so much faster per-core that will beat my 5900X in multicore tasks sgnificantly, it will still be a productivity upgrade and may be a decent option. If it would be a downgrade instead, for anything but MSFS I may pass or go for 7900X or go for Intel instead. I’m sure I’ll settle on something. But of course the best option would be a 7900X3D if it will be released, which is not very likely at this point…

1 Like

It may also be that whatever 7000 series chips are used for the 3D models they will have a slightly slower clock and be locked against overclocking, as with my 5800x3D. They will also run hotter than the non 3D versions, which are already pretty toasty. We’ll just have to wait for benchmarks. But when I upgrade, I will definitely be going for high end water cooling on the CPU, a first for me.

According to ECSM_Official (Bilibili), the AM5 Zen 4 X3D lineup will consist of two SKUs: The six-core Ryzen 5 7600X3D and the eight-core Ryzen 7 7800X3D . Both single CCD processors are planned for a Q2 release alongside the budget A630 motherboards. In addition, the blogger states that there may be higher-end variants later next year, but that’s still up in the air.

I haven’t thrown a Zen3 5800x3D in to my current AM4 board yet. I spent a LOT of money on this Asus ROG Dark Hero with the 5950x back in April and love the capabilities. Didn’t know or plan on the heavy amount of MSFS simming I would be doing, and the 5800x3D didn’t exist then. Now it does, and I’m faced with THAT upgrade, and then yet again a full generational upgrade next year? And to make matters worse… according to that article there is a potential for yet another higher-end variant later in the year and all of this drives me crazy. lol

But is a bit disappointing to see we are talking about 6-8 cores max with the Zen4 x3D chips. Especially hard for me going from 32 to 6 rofl. BUT, if the performance is killer for MSFS… it’s what I spend most of time on my PC doing. So we will see.

I don’t even see these options. Has this program changed, or am I missing something?

2022-11-16 13_29_06-Window

Thanks your your help in this thread and everyone elses. I just upgraded to a 3090 and am trying to minimize microstutters and smooth things out. I used advice from this thread and am getting 30fps pretty smoothly with my settings, but I think Oculus ASW is making everything subtly wobble all the time which looks weird, so I’m going to keep trying to work on this.

@ENON2058 They’re in the “Setup” menu, blue button at the bottom, and changes there are profile specific.

1 Like

Do you really need all those cores though? For work I guess? 8 cores is perfect for me.

Just a random thought, I haven’t seen anyone mention their ram speed and cas timings - could these micro stutters be ram related?

Thank you!!
I honestly thought I was going crazy and was afraid to post that same sentence in any forum.
But yes, I’m experiencing the same, 45 to 51 fps stable, smooth, but often it “f e e l s” like 24 fps or less.

So what’s going on? Does anybody know?

3080ti/12900k

This sounds crazy to me.
Ok, I’m trying to understand the 4090’s and still don’t get it.
Most users settle for medium or high settings with this card.

But how on earth do I manage to get from 45 to 50 stable fps All Ultra, 300 LOD, OpenXR 110%, with a 3080TI?

I still think there’s something ‘not right’ with these 4090 -for the price they cost-

Right?

1 Like

This was exactly my main issue on my 8700k/3080/G2. It has improved a LOT since moving to AMD 7700x (has much more L3 cache) on AM5, so it’s at least partially CPU related.

I believe moving to the next 3D chip (which i will do ASAP) and/or a 4090 would make it perfect. So it’s basically a hardware thing…

I’m running Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz DDR4 CL16 overclocked to 3800Mhz (16-17-20-17-39 timings). I also tried stock XMP 3600/CL16 - no difference, just slower benchmarks.

I had the same feeling with my 3080 :slight_smile: The fact is with 3080 there was no way to run Reverb G2 in native resolution with solid 30Fps MR lock in dense areas. Whatever I did, it wasn’t happening, not even close. I had to run FSR with OXRTK at about 80%, or DLSS with the blurriness and motion trails. Upsampling was absolutely required. Now with 4090 I drive TAA100% and get a solid 30FPS MR lock in dense areas, and 45FPS lock in sparser areas on GA planes. With High settings, som Ultra, including Ultra clouds (a big fps hit, but a very noticeable visual improvement unlike most other settings). This plainly wasn’t possible on 3080. So I think the GPU shows the expected difference in performance, it’s tangible and it’s what made it possible to enjoy MSFS in G2 native full resolution finally, just as I wanted. A huge leap. Do I want more? Always! But it’s not that I don’t see the performance increase, I do, and it a large one. Is there some potential to optimise drivers further? Maybe. Optimise MSFS? Certainly. But I don’t think something’s wrong with 4090. People are just hitting CPU limits hard, so overall performance improvement is not like other games, which are not that demanding of CPU.

The remaining stutter problem seems to be related to CPU performance, not GPU. Waiting for new X3D CPUs, then will upgrade to 7900X3D if it will exist, or maybe go Intel 13900 if it won’t.

I wish MSFS would me more optimized in CPU usage: it should result in stable FPS, just lower or higher, dependingon CPU load, but no stuttering. Instead what we have is stuttering on high-end CPUs. But people report much better experience on 5800X3D and 13900 CPUs, so CPU should matter a lot.

1 Like

Amen to the “CPU should not cause stutters.” guess it’s just a function of all the convoluted old FSX legacy code with a modern layer turning it into some kind of power-hungry Frankenstein with thousands of variables all messing with each other, causing fluctuations.

2 Likes

I wish I knew what causes the stutter. I pared everything back - internet connections turned off, settings all low, community folder removed and flying over sparse areas of Iceland so that I’m getting high frame rates on a RTX3080 and 5800X3d, but any translation across the terrain has a jerkiness to it - a halting stutter averaging every 1 second or so, but in the terrain and not the cockpit.
It knocks me right out of VR immersion if I look sideways.