Turbulence -- excessive or real world realistic

OK thanks, that’s interesting.

Very true! Thermal effect is also often experienced inside a cloud, there is convection within clouds. Even over parking lots and flying around 3,500 msl over concreted areas in the summer can be real bouncy on a calm day.

3 Likes

I’d say it needs tweaking but it’s not that unrealistic from my experience I had irl (I’m not a pilot per se but flew a few times with light props and helicopters on the other seat).

I guess the energy stored by the ground may be off in some regions which basically relies on the darkness of the aerial image and probably other information.

If somehow the aerial image is quite dark it may store too much energy compared to real life which on the other hand leads to more updraft and more turbulences - that would somehow at least explain why there are some people fine with the situation and others not.

Also weather ofc plays a role so in some scenarios the simulation works fine but some other situation with real world data may cause issues. The problem is to identify these situations and make them repeatable.

The last time I flew yesterday VFR over the western part of Germany was really fine: a little bit of shaking with few clouds over forest covered areas, temp in ground was ~15°C, wind was calm and the sun was a bit blocked by haze - I found that pretty realistic from what I remember :wink:

It could be tweaked a bit but i agree that the mechanical displacement/turb is realistic. (Real world pilot) We’re just not used to it in the sim. I think an update was made to the weather environment to include heating.

I did! Used to live/fly in Wichita back when i was in design/manufacturing. Oh my, how those 40+ kt winds howl across the plains. No better crosswind training.

3 Likes

I’m all for realism … and I cam understand how this formally missing turbulence, seems to have been added in during SU9, associated the real weather simulation.

But it is also present in Clear Skies setting, so its not necessarily coming from the actual weather data, but more from some calculation, maybe based on land below the aircraft, and time of day / night etc etc etc (and of course, wind speed and gusting).

In any case, its a predicted amount, and as such, cannot be accurate in all circumstances. so make it have some User Adjust-ability, and then everyone is happy.

Its a SIMULATOR – its NOT REAL – allow it to SIMULATE what is required of it by its user ( within reason !! )

Hello,

I’ve observed this yesterday after Update my sim to SU9. Look pls to my post at Official thread about SU9, that flight started at Stockton (hope remember correctly) and continue to Palo Alto (Bay SF). After t/o from start airport and comming to first hills ahead KPAO, many wind mills are there and also observed at this area quite strong turbulence. If you can look to some weather history to see correct data, I was at 2000ft +/- and this continues to that first hills (also my first screenshot at thread with dam). Then I didn’t observed any other turbulence or maybe thermals to Palo Alto. Only maybe to compare with real weather history if it can be compared with my position. Time was +/- 30 min before my post.

It would be great to have a modifiable setting for the intensity of this turbulence/gust effect that was added, a slider would be great

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics)

Think of it like this: Have someone drive your car, sit in passenger seat with arm out the window with hand flat sitting still. Then have them accelerate and around 90 Kph or 55 MPH look at your hand and try to hold it as steady as possible keeping it flat. Even on a calm day, good luck keeping your hand from not moving at all or from bouncing up and down. :grin: :wink:

1 Like

If I may ad to your reply to N6722C - clear skies are also perfectly good weather for great turbulences - as the sun has great occasion to heat the ground which in turnswams air that will raise in thermal. When the inversion height is below dew point the condensation will not occur as thermal won’t reach dew point but those thermals are still there - we glider pilots call them “blue thermals” as we cannot use cumulus clouds to detect them.

4 Likes

Spot on… that is exactly how I feel. I fly in real world very often in England South… and I have never encountered such continuous never ending jerk movement in any of my flights. You get turbulence for sure, but it is not “all the time”, it happens when you hit a big thermal, there are many portions of the flight where it is calm.

More over this issue, when you climb high such turbulence should calm down, yesterday testing a GA with SU9 classified as LSA in EU, I climbed all the way to 15,000 feet and the continue never stopping (not a single period of smooth flight was possible at all during the flight) was still present at 15,000 feet. This was with live weather or a weather preset configured with no wind. The only way to find calm air with this little GA was to set the time of the day to early morning or almost night.

The terrain below was as flat as you can think of… and we are in spring… not even summer yet…

I am concerned this change to the sim will now detriment the sales of the product since quiet frankly I am reading in many places people are resorting to fly heavier aircraft, and many GA VR pilots are having motion sickness as a result of this change.

Best,
Raul

2 Likes

Agree. The virtual sky finally feels the IRL sky.

3 Likes

Hello,

did now 2 test flights with set of Clear weather and feeling of quite strong turbulence or thermal existence is there. This effect does strong wing rocking with C172 and also same with TBM with my short test flights, same as yesterday with real weather.

It is indeed excessive (PPL 25 years). Presumably this addition is to reflect convective airflow since we already can inject our own turbulence via the wind UI in the weather panel. Well, on altering pressure setting to high and taking down the outside air temperature to simulate metrological calmness in the air I can tell you it has no effect thus making this turbulence compulsory a complete nonsense.

2 Likes

“Air is to smooth, where’s the gustiness and turbulence. Very unrealistic.”

SU9 drops.

“How can I turn off realistic turbulence, and gusts?”

:laughing:

19 Likes

Thanks… correct convection airflow… and I agree, changing the air temperature or pressure doesn’t help… only changing the time of the day.

In real world - with clear skies, wouldn’t you have the sun heating air and the ground?

1 Like

From my investigation,

it looks to me that this effect is done with quick change of wind direction from let’s say wide angle with also only 2 kts, with clear weather set in my test flights.

According to the Q&A, it is based on ground temperature in relation to the air temperature above it. I wonder how they calculate that for weather presets, and I also wonder if they use meteoblue ground temperature data when live weather is active. I don’t think they specified in the Q&A.

2 Likes

I just wonder why they can’t just put in a Turbulence Scaler control, so everyone can set it as they want it – and as appropriate for their particular flight – “and Simulation Needs”

3 Likes

“gustiness” still does not exist. At least lateral gustiness. It’s always a constant wind speed. It will change slowly over time but true gusts are still not in the sim.

1 Like