Turbulence problem

I created these videos to demonstrate the annoying “turbulence” effect that was implemented in SU9.

There currently is no option to get rid of it…so my plea to Asobo is to please provide a user adjustable option for turbulence.

Thanks for viewing.

2 Likes

This is a video I shot two days after release, showing mechanical turbulence as I pass over canyon edges. It looks a bit more violent than your video shows.

1 Like

There’s a lot of things that are “annoying” about real flight flight, which is what a flight simulator is trying to simulate You realize you guys can look at Bing maps photogrammetry for free without having to deal with pesky aviation stuff, right?

10 Likes

Welcome to flying. Thats pretty close to what its like.

12 Likes

There already is a whole fat discussion on this…

In short most people have the false impression that air is calm on a nice sunny day but that’s by far not the case - it’s pretty much opposite (cold, grey day is the most smooth experience)

there is: set the temperature to like 10°C, no wind, overcast.

Then fly in the desert (bright surface). The updrafts are simulated by taking the energy provided by the sun into account, warming dark areas which then create thermals you notice as turbulence.

2 Likes

I don’t consider this as an option to get rid of the turbulence…all these weather adjustment suggestions are just ways to force you to fly under conditions that you don’t really want to fly in but have to in order to avoid the turbulence.

My suggestion is to include an adjustable option so that the user self can decide the amount of turbulence he or she wants…or if so desired disable it all together.

2 Likes

But the problem is, turbulence isn’t a setting that you can turn on or off. They’re weather simulations driven by physics. If you have wind, then you have different wind speed blowing, then you’ll have turbulence. If your airflow is disrupted by any means, it will give you turbulence. If winds blow by the side of a mountain, it will continue blowing upwards until it hits your aircraft, thus turbulence.

If you want to get rid of a turbulence, there’s no setting to get rid of it. You need to change the custom weather to make sure turbulence doesn’t happen. No wind, and low temperature, at least are the only things that you can’t see but affect it. You probably won’t get rid of it entirely, but at least they won’t bother you as much. Then you can change the cloud layers around as you want.

Once you start introducing a custom turbulence slider, it compromises the integrity of the physics simulation.

5 Likes

Perhaps an apt analogy would be wanting an accurate rocket building simulation, but asking for a slider for atmospheric density or gravity, for those that don’t want either.

If users want it it won’t affect me as I wouldn’t use it, assuming they don’t botch the implementation, and a bug enforces it off for everyone.

More options are good, as long as they remain optional.

The effect in VR can create problems with nausea and discomfort. Issue only pesent sincelast patch.

1 Like

But every little option they add takes away from them being able to improve the … you know…simulation. They don’t have unlimited time.

Now instead they have to test the option, implement a simplified flight model, add code to properly save, bind it UI controls, etc… Should they also add an option for planes not to stall…for those that find that annoying? Where does it end. Personally gravity is bothering me, I really don’t understand whey they don’t just give as a slider to disable this annoying feature.

1 Like

True, it would be time used up that would be better used to fix things that are broken, not implement new things a minority are asking for.

Do racing sims have an option to disable bumps on the track? For those that find it annoying?

I’m honestly asking here because that seems the perfect analogy.

Yes, there is turbulence in the sky even on a calm day. Fly over a plowed field surrounded by green pastures on a sunny day and you will get turbulence. I could go on and on about this subject but won’t. I was a real-world pilot years ago.

1 Like

I think the drone camera is not affected by the turbulence. Those that want to experience the scenery without experience the flight experience could use that.

As a pilot who has flown extensively small GA planes as an instructor all over Europe, I don’t see ANYTHING wrong with any of your posted videos. This is what we call light turbulence.

2 Likes

Before SU9 if I would have disabled the wind layer things would have settled quite nicely. That is not the case now. There have been changes…and they are no good in VR for sure !
Add to that the various pauses and stutters plus the CTD`s and you dont have a nice experience at all overall.

1 Like

What’s no good in VR is that this camera shake option is broken. Switching camera shake off does absolutely nothing.

1 Like

That as well.

I agree with you.
Realism in a simulator isn’t the same as “real world”. Real world is practically impossible to emulate so whilst you can increase the realism of the turbulence, it probably won’t be a good fit to the real world in the region and the time of day you fly. I just change the time of day to tune down the turbulence effect which is clearly overdone in the regions I fly in most - but a way for users to tune the model to their experience or training need is obviously quite important unless you’d rather have real world days where no flying is possible in the simulator

I really do think an official reply or some sort of opinion from the devs with a resonable explanation on why the sim has been modified in this matter would be very nice indeed.

1 Like