Turning off Icing effects completely?

Does anyone know how to do this? I believe it can be done in developer mode?

So the story with Icing in this sim is that it’s more like flying through the dark clouds of Venus, than Earth. It’s beyond extreme and I can’t even climb through low-level clouds for 2 minutes without the aircraft turning into a brick of ice… (even the worst-case scenarios of icing IRL haven’t been that bad!)

The problem is that selecting “Visual Only” in the settings for icing doesn’t always work, and the obscene loss in lift still applies every now and again. So I’m looking for a way to turn it off completely until Asobo fix what is quite clearly a huge oversight.

Please let’s all vote to get this fixed asap:

5 Likes

The icing simulation does seem just a tad bit aggressive. Flying the steam gauge 172 through a small puffy cumulus cloud when its ~30F outside will cover the windscreen in ice and stuff up the pitot tube. Descending to warmer air does not seem to shake the ice for a long time. I suspect in time they will get around to this.

4 Likes

Yeah, the icing effect is a little bit overkill…

Especially the bug that “visual only” is still causing aerodynamic effects and that there’s no “off” option at all is pretty annoying.
Best would be a slider to vary the strength of icing to one’s preference…

3 Likes

Indeed. I’ve been having to set “Clear Skies” just to climb through clouds as low as 1,400ft … and then switching on Live Weather again once I’m clear of them :face_with_monocle:

A better way and slightly more realistic way of doing this is to just enable the developer mode and the second the icing starts, you’ll see a slider begin to move from left to right. It is located in the options menu I believe. This mainly applies to airliners or planes that are capable of automated flight, as you will need the plane on autopilot, to keep adjusting the slider down with your mouse. I was able to eliminate it completely while climbing and enjoyed a nice, ice free plane throughout cruise. You can do the same when you are getting ready to descend.

Hopefully Asobo will listen to us and add a “remove visual ice” option…

2 Likes

Thank you! The developer mode workaround was what I was looking for.

I’ll give that a try. Cheers.

Does that just remove the visible ice or also the effects that are still degrading aircraft performance even though “visual only” is selected?

1 Like

Not 100% sure, I think both though.

I can confirm from my last flight that bringing Visual Ice down to 0 in developer mode also diminishes the effect it has on the aircraft. Therein lies the bug.

I have to say that this may be a more realistic way to deal with the icing, but it is ever so tedious. As AZFlyGuy1 mentioned, the dev mode UI sits on top, so you can’t interact with the cockpit whilst the “option” drop-down remains open.

Really hope the icing gets fixed or a mod gets made for it, because there isn’t an ideal way to deal with it at present.

1 Like

I’ve added into my original post the relevant topic from the bugs forum - Please let’s vote to get this fixed :slight_smile:

Thanks for that- It works like a charm.

I’ve been flying through some rather cold regions recently and the Icing Slider can fill up in just a matter of seconds when flying through clouds. Whilst the above does technically fix the issue, babysitting a slider every few seconds thereafter and not being allowed to interact with the cockpit/ATC is a big problem.

I hope we can get some more votes on your thread, otherwise it will never be brought to the attention of Asobo.

Pretty sure the icing effect was just for press releases as it’s completely overkill.

Please fix the so that “visual only” actually means that. At the moment this selection is broken.

Actually, can this thread be moved to the bugs section so it can generate some votes?

As the other vote thread got closed down (due to duplication), I would encourage you all to vote on this one instead:

1 Like