Turtle Beach VelocityOne Flight stick Controller (New and available on Nov 17, 2022)

Thanks so much for the info, I’ll be getting one soon!

1 Like

Now finding out if the rudder pedals work on the optional usb c ports.

They currently don’t, but probably will later, given a firmware update and a fitting cable.

Currently the original cable provided with the pedals (especially the Y one) does not fit in the USB-C ports, too thick (too wide, to be specific).
Also, the “accessories” options in the menu, as it came up first with firmware 1.4 on the Velocity One Yoke, is absent in the flight stick (fw 1.0.7).

The quick start menu also clearly states that the additional ports are currently unused and require a firmware update for further periphal usage.
Source: Turtle Beach Support
Expansion Ports:
The product includes two additional USB-C ports next to the main connection port. These are expansion ports, to be used for future VelocityOne peripherals. Currently, there are no additional products to use in these ports. When available, we will issue a firmware update to the product to enable use with additional accessories in our range.

Good Morning,

I use the new VelocityOne Flightstick.
It’s a fine Stick.

But, unfortunately, the round view with the mouse right click no longer works in the cockpit view.
I’ve tried changing the keyboard layout.
Without success.

If I remove the flight stick, the round view in the cockpit works.

The Problem is only in Cockpit View. Outside works the Mouse perfekt.
Is this a Bug??

Greetings
Thimo

1 Like

My mouse controlled lookaround view works fine, both out- and inside the cockpit (either by toggling the free view with a click on the middle mouse button (the wheel) or by holding down the right mouse button).

But I had to set the sensivity of the “touchscreen” to the lowest setting (menu option in the sticks display).
That tiny “touchpad” is my only point of critic with that stick.
I would have expected to make the display itself a touch screen, but not that 10mm by 10mm button below it. I wish I could disable it alltogether because one sometimes touches it and this then moves the coursor all over the place, acting as it’s own mouse input.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem. The exterior view works as usual with the mouse, but unfortunately the cockpit view no longer works. Only the analogue stick of the VelocityOne lets me look around the cockpit. But that’s not a satistying solution for me - so I hope that this bug will be fixed soon.

1 Like

Solution to that is unbinding the free look axis at the stick and bind them to look up down left right

2 Likes

How is your experience using the new Velocity One Flight Stick? Asking because I don’t see a lot of people talking about it.

However the biggest thing that’s mentioned is the joystick stiffness but I thought in real life the yoke/joystick is mechanically linked to the control surfaces via cable hence the stiffness?

Not quite true. On small planes, yes, the linkage is mechanical, but stiffness depends on airspeed. At normal flying speeds, you won’t feel much difference across the range, and there’s really not much stiffness. With the engine off, the yoke will tend to pull itself toward the panel due to gravity pulling down on the elevators, but that’s the only time you’ll feel any real resistance. (This is from my own experience in a C172.) If you do feel mechanical resistance on the ground, it could be a sign of control binding.

On larger planes without hydraulic boost, the yoke/stick is linked not only to the control surface, but to the trim tab as well. Command a right roll input, and the first thing that moves on the wing is the aileron trim tabs in the opposite direction. The right tab pushes down to give extra lift to the right aileron, and the opposite happens on the left wing. This makes the right elevator lighter and the left heavier, making the rest of the roll input much easier. This system wasn’t in place on older planes, so some of them (especially some older WWII bombers) were infamous for being a bit of a workout for the pilots.

1 Like

I just got one a few weeks ago and am very satisfied. It is a bit stiff, but I prefer that over a stick that is too loose. I also use the Logitech Extreme 3D and the Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick, but I like the feel and features of the Velocity One best.

2 Likes

I would like to confirm your assessment. The stiffness is a bit to much (specially for Helicopters) but over all it is very precise and has may be a bit much special config possibilities. e.g. the touch or cursor binding should be removed in the setup like the axis binding for the “little” joystick on the head. The “hotas” functionality with the two sliders including toga and basic reverse is quite nice and the digital or analog programmable trim wheel works well. For GA plane you can bind the sliders together with a second button for having prop and mixture axis (with or without Axis and Ohs) .
A bit strange is that there is a helicopter profile for xbox but not for pc based MSFS. Updating the firmware sometimes has to be done more than once for what ever reasons. Overall I like the stick more than my former TM 19000.

1 Like

Thank you that was a really good explanation!

1 Like

Just got the V1 joystick and glad I chose it over the TCA airbus joystick. I don’t have enough space for the throttle (circular table) so joystick only.

For anyone thinking about getting the joystick:

Firstly I am an Xbox user and before anyone says get a gaming PC, I am trying to save up for my PPL

My complaints:

1. The twist rudder because the range is a bit too small
  2. Personally I think the stiffness is almost perfect but if you fly fighter jets, the base will most likely lift off the table (thankfully I only fly GA) but you can mount it using the screws if you wish. - Someone suggested mounting a heavy plate onto the base
  3. the screw to adjust the handrest can be a bit tooo tight considering you can only twist by hand and not a screwdriver
  4. Bluetooth is unnecessary that money could have gone elsewhere or cut from the price tag

But aside from that the stick feels premium, it has the right amount of buttons, I never realised how useful the trim wheel is until using it like it’s better then assigning buttons for elevator trim. The trim wheel can either be set to analogue (regular trim wheel) or digital (like B737 trim tabs) which is cool.

Hall Effect sensors (contactless magnetic sensors) mean that you will probably never get stick drift like my deadzones are set to 0 and there’s no drift.

I love the adjustability of the hand rest because I’ve got small hands so I can adjust it to easily reach all the hat switches. And the hand rest can also be swapped to the left side - there’s a nice feature to compliment this which swaps over the inputs to opposite side when you switch hands. For example when I switch to left hand mode, the throttle input swaps from left side to right side and same for everything else meaning you don’t have to go into settings and reassign all your buttons

The OLED screen which I thought would be gimmicky turns out to also be useful because I plug my headphones directly into the joystick so volume control can be done without having to press the Xbox guide button and interrupting the simulator. Aside from standard functions the screen can also show you the joystick position graph (Cartesian plane) and there’s a left handed mode which I already talked about. There’s also changing the led colours, input mode (linear, s shape)

The LED lights can be turned off (which I do) but there’s only a limited amount of colours to choose sadly there wasn’t a red option so that’s why I keep it off

There’s a trackpad but I don’t use it atm which you can adjust the sensitivity for on the OLED screen.

3 Likes

Had two Velocity One sticks now, both came with failures.

First had a broken button (H1, did not work properly), the second one had no lights (buttons on base). Well, no more Turtle Beach for me please based on that experience alone…

Positives

compact design & adjustable hand grip

two smooth levers

trim wheel in the stick is great

Negatives

stick was too stiff

build in touch pad is useless in real life.

display in the stick is useless, no need in real life

lights / colors can be adjusted via an app - wow, should have put more effort in quality control instead.

In short, might be great if you have one that works (and lasts).

I got my Thrustmaster Airbus stick now, prefer that so far.

Is it bad that I bought it just for use as a tiller and some additional button assignments? I can say I haven’t flown with it but does work wonders as a tiller. Yes the resistance of the stick is high but I kind of like it.

This is how I use it.

I find it very hard to control pitch and roll. It seems stuck to the center if I try to be precise and then if I move it more it goes way too far.

I’m amazed anyone can fly with any precision with this hardware. Maybe I need more practice, but I don’t think this stick is going to ever work for me.

I’ve logged over a hundred hours each with VelocityOne yoke and Honeycomb’s Alpha and I still look forward to flying with the TB stick every now and again due to the feel of it. I haven’t made any adjustments to the sensitivities or dead zones. Reading your post, it almost seems like it has to come down to some sort of expectation/personal preference type of thing. Or building more practice/familiarity/muscle memory.

You’re stating your issue clearly and it doesn’t seem like you’re doing anything wrong. Faulty hardware can’t be ruled out, I guess. Buyer’s remorse when it comes to peripherals always makes me feel kinda sad because these things aren’t exactly cheap! Hope you find that perfect feeling thing, whatever it may be, and hope you find enjoyment with it!

Since many reviewers and users seem to enjoy it, I do think this comes down to my personal taste and possibly my unfamiliarity with using a stick. I wouldn’t dissuade anyone from purchasing and don’t mean to. These types of peripherals are always going to be subjective to a large degree. And nothing against turtle beach, I’m happily using their rudder pedals.

I use the Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo already, but was looking for a stick for the Kitfox and maybe future helicopter attempts, so a stick is not a must have to enjoy the sim.

I will be returning it, so no remorse. I tried it, it’s not for me, and I will try something else.

I use -9% sensitivity for the roll and pitch axis and i haven’t experienced any problems with manoeuvring planes. So it might either be a faulty unit or personal taste?

I just handflew an approach into Paro now to make sure the controls are good and no problems

1 Like

Just got my Flight Stick and went into the Kitfox first, ended up trying -25% on pitch and roll which felt a lot more comfortable for me at least, of course, every plane is going to have a unique flight model and settings need to be customized for each plane to experience maximum realism and enjoyment. It does feel a bit sticky when centered but others have mentioned that it should/may break in with regular use as well.