Turtle Beach VelocityOne rudder pedals

Been waiting for a some reviews of these pedals but they were just released. They are probably a step below TPR mechanically, but there is a huge gap between those and most everything else on the market. But it’s $300 vs $600.

I have TFRP now and really sorta hate them: they slide around, jerky movement, noisy signals. It slides smoother on the floor better than the pedals do. :rofl:

I pre-ordered and mine comes Wed. and will post something then but there are already a few yt unboxing/reviews which are positive. I too have been using TFRP for a while and am tired of them but TPRs were too expensive. These look really nice and a “sweet spot” for price/performance. They look more adjustable than TPRs as well.

1 Like

Haven’t checked YT yet but I have a bit more trust in what people say here. We aren’t after views. :slight_smile:

Their yoke seems to have either love or hate. But the specs on these pedals is hard to ignore.

I’m sure some corners were cut for cost. Just hope they were intelligently cut.

I’m cursing the TFRPs now every time use them.

If you fly small GA I’m curious to know if they can help with squirrelly ground handling.

1 Like

They look like a modernised set of Saitek pedals which is not good at all. I personally hate this type of arrangement because it’s so un-natural. Real aircraft pedals have a much steeper angle and operate with your heels on the floor. It’s simple stuff but it’s what makes the TPR’s so nice to use.

1 Like

Sad Bf-109 noises

Okey the angle is wrong even for them, just not the general style. These ones do ship with heel-in-floor (or heel-in-pedal-frame…) style footrests too, though they look bit awkward.

I didn’t spot the optional pedals which makes them better. You still can’t get your heel on the floor by the looks of them though because of the ■■■■■■ plastic stand they are on. Having seen the optional pedals that look just like the Cessna 3d printed option you can add to the Saitek’s makes me think even more that these are just heavily based on those and as a result will likely not be very good.

I picked these up, although I can’t use them yet on Xbox, as they need the VelocityOne yoke/throttle in order to work (or Turtle Beach’s upcoming flight stick). I sold my VelocityOne when I went Honeycomb for yoke/throttle, but I do have their flight stick on preorder. I’ve still unboxed them and fiddled around with them a bit but can’t offer any in-flight impressions.

Was using T.Flight HOTAS One pedals along with Honeycomb’s stuff and was never really dissatisfied. My feet sat a little close together for my liking, and I could see where the rail system would gum up or cause some sticking, though that never really happened to me.

I actually picked up a set of Logitech rudders as well, a few weeks back, just to try them out. Ended up sending them back before even plugging them in. Honeycomb’s Xbox hub allows for the Logitech pedals to work on Xbox and just by looking at pictures of them I thought they had to have been an upgrade over my TFRP (at least to get me by until Charlie releases). I hated them - they slid all over the carpet and felt terribly cheap and plasticky.

Since Charlie seems to be vaporware at the moment, and since TB’s flight stick looks so rad (kinda wanna get into military/stick aircraft more), I thought Turtle Beach’s solution would be the current sweet spot for an Xbox setup.

As far as customization and quality of product, TB rudders seem excellent. Little noisy on the push-pull axis but cool that they didn’t cheap out with potentiometers and went with hall effect sensors on these axes. Swapping out the GA/Airliner styles of pedals is a bit arduous but nice that they give you that option all in one package (with their patented little allen key system - works well!) Never tried swapping out the springs but again, appreciated that they give you that option out of the box. Included 3M sticky pads for the bottoms allow for excellent carpet grip - they are not going anywhere. And they are BEEFY. Very nice feeling and heavy. Some plastic here too, yes, but there’s also metal in this construction and they look built to take a beating. I set them up under my desk in both width configurations (narrow and expanded) and although unrealistic, the fatigue of keeping your legs close together with the TFRP was totally alleviated by the TB rudders, even in their narrow configuration. Widen them up and take an Airbus up in the air and you’ll feel like you’re sitting on a La-Z-Boy when they’re expanded out to full width. Feels pretty good.

As far as the angle of the pedals, yeah - it doesn’t feel too unnatural to me, coming from the TFRPs, but looking at pictures of the Charlies, I could see where I would like those better. Sleeker design. I took a Cessna up for a discovery flight a few months ago and don’t remember a whole lot about what the real-life pedals felt like, but I don’t think my heels were on the ground…unless I was doing it wrong (definitely possible - was pretty overwhelming!) The GA pedals on the TB rudders do a good job at making you feel like you bought two sets of pedals for one (high) price. It does feel like a totally different experience and more akin to what I would assume the TPRs feel like.

Toe brakes feel great too. Good compression on that axis. That was probably my least favorite part of using TFRPs - yeah, there’s brakes, but they feel like…that. Turtle Beach did a much better job emulating toe brakes.

Overall, I think I’ll use them (gently!) and maybe try to sell once Charlie is released, depending on how well-received those end up being. Would feel nice to have the entire Honeycomb set. But again, their flight stick is still something I’ll probably run in my setup as well, even though that’s not the topic at hand here, and it’s worth noting that Turtle Beach has been absolutely awesome in the flight sim community since breaking into it with their VelocityOne. All the supply chain excuses we hear from everyone else, missed ship dates, no customer communication - none of this is an issue with Turtle Beach and they’re innovating and releasing pretty sweet hardware at a very exciting pace. I think these rudders ARE priced a bit high, but happy to support what they’re doing and confident I have the best Xbox setup you can have at present.

3 Likes

Shame that all the Xbox peripherals can only be used in conjunction with the whole setup of the brand. I had the VelocityOne Flight but was very unhappy with the center detent on the yoke. Returned it and went with the honeycomb alpha xpc which is awesome. I would like to take the turtle beach rudder together with it but no, they always want to force us to use the entire setup on Xbox. Same for Honeycomb. Really a shame. Seems I need to wait for the Honeycomb Charlies and keep using the Logitech rudder.

Maybe I need switch to a PC sooner or later…

1 Like

Are those limitations just on the Xbox? I thought the pedals worked standalone.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed write up! How does the pedal motion feel?

The TFRPs are really jerky. That and the sensors have such dirty signals it causes rattle and squeek sounds in the sim.

I figure my landings will still be just as squirley no matter how nice a set of pedals I have. :grin:

1 Like

I figure the same :rofl:

To answer your question, the motion does feel pretty good. I should have tried out the other set of springs before throwing them back into the box, but I didn’t. I liked the resistant and the centering force seemed appropriate - I don’t do a lot of IRL flying by any means but I would imagine the researchers at TB put some foresight into making that motion feel realistic as well.

Pretty sure the springs that come installed by the factory are the stronger, more resistant springs, which makes sense. I bet swapping out the other ones along with the GA pedals gives you a pretty light and sporty GA type of feel.

1 Like

I have been using the pedals for a few days now and think highly of them. I replaced my Thrustmaster T Flight pedals.

Very good build with good materials, solid weight to the unit. Adjustability with both width between pedals and the alternate spring to change pedal tension. Some simple but effective included add-ins include anti-skid pads for the bottom, both for carpet or hardwood included, and a custom wrench to manage all adjustments.

One of the reasons I purchased early is the optional Cessna style pedals. I am working toward my PPL and wanted to mimic a 172 pedal that I am training on. Very effective, although I am sorting through the slightly difference in height of this unit versus an actual Cessna.

Very clever and robust mechanical design to swap the pedals and adjust the tilt of the pedals.

I think the higher price reflects both the mechanical and engineering workmanship, and I expect this unit will last many years into the future. As I said, my main focus was the Cessna style pedal configuration and it has met my expectations.

3 Likes

I think you guys sold me. They sound way better than tfrps.

Have you noticed any improvements in runway/taxi control?

1 Like

I missed this - how do you adjust the pedal tilt?

1 Like

So far so good with mine! On Friday, Had it for 2 seconds aaaaaannnd it’s got cat hair in it, haha! :rofl:

I Adjusted the rudder sensitivity a bit -30 I think on both. Especially on the toe brakes, they don’t have as much range as I’d like so the adjustment helps. The construction seems beefier than the yoke design which is a great thing to see.

Mine came in very minimal packaging, with labels on the outside, glad I was home to grab it from UPS. Also, Turtle Beach sent using UPS this time not USPS so it didn’t get lost like my first yoke.

Definitely helps ground maneuverability. Can actually stear the p51’s with relative ease now.

Both the yoke and rudders have new updates as well. (1.4.0 & 1.0.1) So the weirdness with the tbm930 ghost inputs is gone.

Of course there are things I don’t like about the whole system, but now I can’t see myself flying without it. I use a Thrustmaster HOTAS one as well and can plug in both to use the rudders with the HOTAS on series x.

2 Likes

There is a grey lock slider on the toes. Pull that up and it adjust the angle. You can see the lock in the top square of the toe. Make sure you have on the shorter pedals for GA flight first.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

With the TRRP my big problem is small movements. There is too much static friction, which results in jumpy movements. So to steer I’m usually on the brakes.

3 Likes

Ordered overnight on Amazon!

1 Like

Actually, its not adjustable per say. It has 2 different positions, one for the conventional airliner style pedals (flatter) and when you make the change to the Cessna style pedals it detents into a more upright positions. If you can track down the quick start guide from Turtle Beach I think it shows it on there.