Turtle Beach VelocityOne rudder pedals

How much travel do these pedals have? As in, what’s the distance between the maximum and minimum position of the pedals measured from the same reference point?

What’s the interior design like? Especially wondering how much contact area there is at various points of the design as that might lead to stiction down the line. The blurb talked about bearings which sounds promising.

That sounds disappointing. The two positions seem to be “too low angle” and “too high angle” to me. Weird that they made width adjustable (actually a rather rare feature) but not the footrest angle.

Any issues adjusting to that? Since I mostly fly small airplanes I’ll probably use the Cessna config.

Got mine today and wow what a difference from the TRRPs. The VelocityOne pedals are hefty (must be at least 3x heavier) and they are way smoother and easier to control. They come with “airline” pedals as default (angle is flatter than TRRPs) but I’m going to swap out for the GA pedals tomorrow to adjust the angle as well. I think you’ll be pleased!
Since I’m on PC, I just hooked up direct to a USB port rather than trying to tie into my velocity one yoke.

Anyone update the firmware? Mine has been sitting at 0% for 30 minutes.

*** Edit ***
Restarted the firmware update and it updated in like 10 seconds. I was worried it was bricked as it no longer worked until the update completed.

My first impressions are I’m absolutely astounded at how much less janky ground handling is, even in crosswinds. I’ve nailed some crosswind landings and then managed to not completely veer off the runway. Even using the rudder in flight is much smoother, before the airplane felt like it was jerking around.

I started off with the small airplane configuration and the lighter springs.

My issue now is comfort and range of motion. I picked a narrow configuration to match what I see in the airplanes I fly, but the range of motion is a bit more than my legs can handle. The range looks to be 2-3x more than the travel I’m seeing in VR on the pedals.

Braking in the upright position also feels a little awkward as it requires a bit of ankle flex.

I think the chair position may play a big factor. The small airplane config requires straighter legs.

I’ll need to experiment more but I’m curious how other’s are making these adjustments.

1 Like

Got these a couple of days ago and I agree with your assessment here. I am liking it overall and it fits my rig pretty well, but braking is awkward with the GA footrests. These cost almost the same as the MFG Crosswinds v3, so I am still debating if I should hold on to these or get the v3 instead. I play on PC, so don’t need the Xbox support.

I think given proper setup these would be great in small airplane config. The issue is using them seated at a traditional desk. The angles are wrong, but with legs out straighter I think it would work.

A little modification could possibly help. In large config I feel comfortable but could use a wedge or lift to the front by a small amount.

I think to use the heavier springs I would need to have my chair and the pedals bolted to the same frame. With the heavy springs I was moving my chair.

I actually feel like I’m not such a bad pilot now, lol. I’m hitting centerline more often, I can crab, not weave all over the place taxing, etc.

Those Logitech TFRPs pedals are terrible, omg. I didn’t realize how bad the control was with those.

3 Likes

Seriously, it feels so good being able to hit the center line on a landing! :grin:

Anyone upgrading from the Logitechs notice the same thing?

1 Like

Thanks for all the details. Just ordered them. :slightly_smiling_face:Currently also have the TFRP and I’m really starting to hate them :-). Had been thinking about the Virpil for a while but they’re so awfully wide.

I don’t know the specs to compare but this is kind of wide too. It’s massive compared to the TRFP! I haven’t tried using a more narrow config with the large pedals. I was worried the travel will be too much.

The greater control I have more than makes up for the negatives. Some of it is getting used to the new feel too. I had to reposition my chair and pedals a bunch to get it dialed in. Unlike the TFRP, it helps to push/pull with each foot.

I just keep nailing the landings now. Getting lined up is so much easier I have more time to focus on flaring at the right time. The airplane feels like it’s doing what I’m telling it to do.

I always had an unsatisfied feeling about my landings. But fine tuned rudder control is critical.

2 Likes

Absolutely (also coming from TFRP :melting_face:). I did the ultimate test, trying to take off the Spitfire without spinning around like a crazy person, and I was able to, mostly center aligned :sweat_smile:.

Wow, the Spitfire!

I can never make a graceful takeoff in the Spitfire, even when I go by the book. I’ll be amazed if this helps me with the Spitfire.

I picked these up from Amazon and received them this past Friday. I’m coming from the Logitech’s, so my point of view is based on using those. I’m also running these direct into a USB port, in conjuncton with my TM TCA joystick and throttle.

Overall, the build quality is very good. The pedals are a thick plastic and the base is metal. You can swap between airline and GA style pedals. The airline style pedals are massive. I’m a size 12 US, and my feet don’t overhang the tops of the pedals. Action on the rudder is smooth, but you will hear a slight plastic on plastic sound when moving them. You won’t hear this though unless you mute the FS sound so it’s a non-issue. The resistance is good and they include lighter springs you can swap in easily if the default ones are not to your liking. Compared to the Logitech’s, it’s much easier to hold a rudder input on these, compared to the Logitech’s . What I like the most on these, is there is no “center detent”. They do center but it takes very little force, to move them out of center. On the Logitech’s, there is this center bump you have to overcome when moving them out of center. The width of the pedals can also be adjusted as well from fairly narrow to wide. In my pics, I have the width in the middle of it’s range.

My only small negative so far is, I wish there was a way to change the angle of the pedals. Because the airline style pedals are so large, you feel like you have to move your feet up, to press down on the toe breaks. After using them for a few hours though, I’m getting used to them and it’s not so bad now. I think this just comes from using the Logtiech’s for years, which have smaller pedals and are much easier to press down on the toe breaks because of that.

Included some pics with my old Logtiech’s as well. Don’t mind the cables…I just moved my setup to a new desk and haven’t had to time to do some cable management…haha.

1 Like

I can see building a platform to perhaps help with the small airplane config. When I see my virtual cockpit, it looks like the floor and pedals require a straighter leg config.

I can confirm, I finally managed to take off and land with the Spitfire without it being a total mess.

1 Like

I’m really digging mine in combo with Thrustmaster HOTAS one for heli’s! Can control that Tail rotor smooth like butter!

I ended up getting the MFG Crosswinds V3 and they really are so much better imo. I think the TB rudder is built well, but the steep footrest angle and the grindy pedal movement is not good and for ~330$ (including shipping) the MFGs are a no brainer if you fly only on PC.

I do notice the bearings in the TB feel a little “grindy”. They should at least be robust.

I was wondering if the bearings could be better lubricated or replaced but I haven’t bothered to see how serviceable they are. It would be cool if they used something easily replaceable like skateboard bearings.

Since I fly VR, I was able to try the small pedals out while sitting on the floor. That appears to be a better angle for use.

Got my new Turtle Beach Velocity Rudder pedals. As I wrote above I bought them because I had some problems with the TFRP pedals concerning overcoming the initial resistance of the centered pedals.

I am happy to say that the Velocity pedals have almost no resistence when centered and are far more sensitive to small inputs. Only drawback so far is the comparatively short travel of the braking axes. So braking requires a little more finesse.

As stated before the pedals are very solidly built with a metal base and multiple metal mechanical components. In addition the option to either mount GA or airliner style foot rests (including different angles), different springs (60N and 80N), and the ability to adjust the width between the padals make this product a very attractive package overall.
Not cheap but from what I have seen of the Honeycomb pedals I would say these offer more for less money and are definitely better in all regards than the Logitech/Saitek, CH or TM TFRP pedals, which I all tested over the last two years. I can’t say anything about the TM Pedular pedals, which are supposed to be very good, but also significantly more pricey.

1 Like

Got the pedals for Christmas. Replaced a 20 + year old CH pedals (they still work! Props to CH)
TB pedals are very smooth and accurate. I use SPAD.next and calibrating the range showed no noise and returned to exact center each time.
Very good build quality. Adjustable width and being able to switch out pedal style (airliner/light aircraft) is a bonus. Easy to secure to the floor with included rubber or foam pads. I have a plywood piece and porch mat so I just screwed the pedals down using the existing holes.
Pedal height and angle are good. After hours of use no issues with discomfort.
Highly recommend.

4 Likes