Unable to Capture Glide Slope on workingtitle cj4 version 12.0

Use sim connect from Navigraph if you are using their service its part of your sub, It will put your plane right on the chart in real time so you can see exactly where you are, works on SID’s STAR’S too. Its very useful.

See the pink plane on the chart in my screen shot,

I have it. Navigraph charts in the CJ4 is the neatest thing since sliced bread. :wink:

1 Like

Are you using the SIM connect application from navigraph? So your plane position is real time on the chart. It gives good situational awareness.

If anybody is having a problem with the workingtitle CJ4 it’s usually out of misunderstanding of how it works.

Ok…Body too short Fill charcters…

OK, I just flew it. I made sure I was at 3000 before AGNSS. Don’t rely on VNAV to do it for you. The constraint in the FMS is 3000A which is 3000 or above. We don’t want above if we can help it. As soon as the localizer ghost pointer showed up on the PFD I switched nav source from the FMS to the localizer (green bearing pointer). I verified that I was below the glideslope then activated APPR mode. LOC1 went active (green) and the GS indicator was white. When I hit AGNSS GS went green and as soon as the glide slope diamond centered the autopilot commenced the descent. Held it like a rock until 500 AGL when I disconnected the AP and yaw damper and flew the rest of it in by hand.

I deleted V - 12 from my Community Folder.
Copied the V - 11.3 folder into my Community Folder.
Flew a perfect Approach down the Glide Slope.

I deleted V - 11.3 from my Community Folder.
Copied the V - 12 folder into my Community Folder.
Glide Slope not captured/activated.

Here is the screenshot. Flying towards runway.

Lateral is captured.
Vertical is not.
Glide Slope isn’t captured. But, displays the green “GS” in scoreboard.

I am at 3,000 ft per Flight Plan and ATC directions while in flight.

See @MikeB54331 's post. It seems to work for him. Also, you’re above the glideslope in this picture. “GS” is white meaning it’s armed. Can you show a picture from just before the glideslope is supposed to capture? Also can you show a picture of your glareshield?

Thanks and I understand.

I will follow your directions.

But, in V 11.3 and before, I have flown this flight many times and
always activated the APPR mode between AGNSS and VERDE.

The only issue was if you activate it to late, you wont drop enough
Altitude and Speed even with the Spoilers deployed and , Throttle to 0.

I flew it again.

On this flight, I set the Altitude to 2,900 feet via “VS”.

I did see the white “GS” on the bottom right of he scoreboard.

But in this case you’re already over the airport. You are in “VALTS” and there is no glideslope diamond. This is not what I asked for. Can you show a picture when you are AT AGNSS? And another just before VERDE?

Will do tomorrow night. I’m out of time tonight.

Edit, doing it now.

If you’re high at the point you should be capturing the glide slope engage vertical speed mode and start your descent. You don’t have to drop like a stone. Rule of thumb for rate of descent for a 3 degree glide slope is ground speed x 5 or ground speed divided by 2 and add a zero. Ballpark vApp for the CJ4 is around 110 knots so your 3 degree rate of descent is around 550 fpm in a no wind situation. Depending on how high you are, set your VS to 800 - 1000 fpm. Yu will get down to the glideslope before you get to the DH and when you cross the normal glideslope it will capture and cancel VS mode.

Another suggestion: Reduce speed to an appropriate speed at GS intercept, e.g. 200 kts instead of 300 kts.

There is a perfect 2hr flight from Filbert Flies on YouTube that explains a lot of this stuff.

Lately when I fly the CJ4, the plane initially tracks the glideslope but when nearing the runway, it fails to maintain glideslope. There is no issue with capturing the glideslope.

I just had a thought - could VNAV be actually what the plane is tracking and not the glideslope, and at some point near the runway the VNAV quits descending and the glideslope does not pick up?

I have flown this flight at least hundreds of times with the WT CJ4
and it always captured the Glide Slope.

Then it has stopped with the white GS on the bottom of the scoreboard.

You may be on to the problem.

I had always used “VS” to capture the altitude to 3,000 ft per ATC.

A few weeks ago, I started using “VS” to set it and then pressing “VNAV”.

Don’t remember why I decided to use VNAV.

I’m going to try it with “VS” only. I’ll reply if it does.

I’ve had that happen also. The WT CJ4 would fly down the
slope and at about, say less than 400 ft, I would turn off the “AP” and it would start to climb up and out. Straight out.

I think that I forgot to cut the throttle which was at 100% and maybe that was the reason. The “GS” was captured since it flew down the slope.

Nope . It did not capture the Glideslope with only “VS” set
And not using “VNAV”.

White “GS” (armed) on bottom right side of the scoreboard.

Flying in per Flight Plan and ATC at 3,000 ft.
Expect to capture the ILS.
Freq is set correct.
Press “APPR”.
Green “LOC1” displays on the PFD
Lateral is ok.
Just cannot capture the Glide Slope.

300kts at 3NM with flaps 15° ??? Thrust seems to be close to or at max as well ?!?

Even with the GS captured you wouldn’t be able to land on the runway

Why was the throttle at 100% ?

I know.
I forget to cut the throttle when I select “APPR”.
The flaps started out at that setting and I never changed them.

Also, I never raise the Landing Gear.

And if I’m coming in to fast, I activate the Spoilers.

But for this learning flight that I use for IFR/ILS, I’m more concerned with the ATC commands and ILS approaches.

As I said, I have flown this exact flight many, many times while learning the IFR/ILS procedures.

It always captured the GS.

Something changed. Maybe around SU3. I withhels WU3 and WU4 while trying to figure this out.

I am pulling this flight from “Saved” flights.

I know that WT states that Saving/Loading flights is not dependable.

But I had tried saved Navigraph .pln (same flight).
I have tried loading the same flight in FS2020’s Main Menu.

Same results. No glideslope.

And then, every now and then, say 1 out of 10, a flight will capture the GS and land perfectly via the ILS.

I hope the OP will reply if he got his to work.