Unreal Weather - Live METAR Mod

It is a great addon merged with MFS, but for clouds and visibility the program should take info from other sources like satellital images each hour or half hour, or other info or place apart from METAR.

Here METAR is CAVOK some days, and in CAVOK the program makes a clear sky and better visibility, that could be real and great, but always was with less visibility and some here and there high altitude clouds and other small clouds well separated.

Just an update, it’s working for me now in 1.5, just takes a few seconds to load the METAR info in the weather settings menu. The only problem is that all the METAR’s are showing clear even though its overcast but the cloud base is around FL170 so nothing that can be done about that.

Getting the actual wind, with live weather I’m getting 25kt winds instead of correct 10kt gusts to 15kt’s. Live weather continually gives me wind data on the surface that equals the winds for around 2,000ft. Totally unflyable, my 152 does not enjoy 25kt winds on takeoff

@SoloTwo42, an actual METAR capture would be helpful. Thanks!

KETB 141955Z AUTO 17010G15KT 10SM CLR 15/05 A2948 RMK AO2

I live nearby, it’s currently overcast here, but the cloud base is over FL130 so all the METAR’s in the area are showing clear for the most part, some showing clouds at FL110 or so. Satelite shows overcast as well. Simply just a limit of what the METAR data shows.

@SoloTwo42, I cannot comment on what’s in METAR vs how it is in real life, I am afraid. My concern is the wind speed here. The wind speed at the station altitide should have been set to 10 kts and the gusts - to 150% by the mod. All wind layers get their speeds according to their respective altitudes, and it may be not that obvious at first. Yet I am not positive I understand how you could get 25 kts in this situation, unless you had climbed very high
 Cheers!

I believe he was stating that he was getting 25 kts with the default MSFS “Live Weather” not Unreal Weather.

1 Like

I see, thanks, @DrnnkAir!

Yes, I was referring to the horribly incorrect default “live” weather, your mod was working correctly. :slight_smile: Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

Followed the install instructions for first time install of 1.5 community version. Started sim. Went to world and selected an airport. No overlay of airport runway lengths, etc., no “save/load” button, no “Fly” button, no buttons anywhere, no overlays at all. ESC got me back to main menu and the “Quit to Desktop” button still lived there.

Removed the folder from “Community” and everything is back to normal. At least it didn’t hose my perfectly functioning sim.

A question about this. Does it automatically update when the Metar updates? Also, if I am flying along will the weather be reflected by each station, or just the one I loaded up? Do I need to be manually refreshing? Cheers!

Is rain actually working in this game at all?

KETB 142335Z AUTO 27013KT 10SM RA OVC080 15/08 A2954 RMK AO2

With this, I have all the correct weather in-game except with no rain. Settings show 3mm/h precip but nothing, even maxing it to 10 I don’t get any rain in the game.

User error, did you add your token to the correct file?

It will find the nearest airport and provide the updated METAR info automatically. You can see it at the bottom right corner in weather panel.

I actually installed it twice, following the instructions. Same result both times. I can read a manual and then operate +$100,000 audio boards, I think I got this. Not user error. Should I try it a half dozen more times or should I just stick with inbuilt and Rex 6 (which works every time)?

What build version of MSFS do you have? Try deploying the mod without your token first; it should work and give you the “Missing API token” error in the Weather Settings when flying. If you get this far, you can add the token then.

Tried your mod and i have to say: AWESOME!

Works like a charm.

Thank you!

1 Like

I was not getting any rain with these settings, even when turning it to the max setting, very odd.

Well considering I can’t operate +$100,000 audio boards and got it working just fine on my first attempt along with nearly everyone else in this thread, I’m going to go with user error.

2 Likes

Thanks for your helpfulness.

Does this set the cloud layer altitudes based on local QNH setting or standard pressure 1013mb?

The cloud layer altitudes are specified in the METAR reports explicitly, in 100 ft increments.

After another install, and four new tokens, it finally works. What’s the suggested best “weather transition span”?