Upcoming Dev Q&A Wishlist

Great list! I agree with everything, especially the AA/Shimmering issues. I am not using VR, it is also clearly visible in 2D. Since I haven’t had this issue prior to SU5, I hope this will get resolved soon.

I also hope that this issue gets addressed as well.

4 Likes

Based on what is said during the Q&A will decide if I even put it back on my pc. No trust anymore in Asobo…not just a little…none. It is no longer something I’m interested in using since I would always start it up and the first thing I’d think of is, “How long 'til this crashes.”

2 Likes

Of the 4 points outlined, I’d say the first 3 are unnecessary, but yes it will be good to know what the plans are for SU6 and 7.

The ‘demand’ for explanations bemuses me, because it would be impossible to explain all the ins and out in a sensible way to everyone’s satisfaction, other than ‘the issues weren’t planned and are on the fix list’.

I understand the frustration for those who have been affected, but does anyone really expect that a public shaming and wringing of hands will take place? Anyone? I really don’t think so.

This entitlement to having hurt feelings acknowledged seems to me to be of zero value (5 minutes looking at these forums tells you how many people felt). Let MS/A focus on the future development of the sim. :thinking:

1 Like

You are missing the point. A confirmation that the items are “on the fix list” would be satisfactory to many incl. myself, provided that an estimated fix date is included. “Breaking” things without explanation and not providing a fix for weeks is what annoys people, as they suddenly lose the experience they had before an “update”. If you are not affected by the issues, good for you. Would you be affected by them the same way many other are, you would think differently.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s fair, knowing that an issue is identified and logged is certainly helpful. (Though I would argue that’s not the same thing as demanding an explanation).

I don’t think I would feel differently if I was experiencing graphical issues or CTDs myself because my focus remains on seeing that plans are in place to resolve these issues. It’s still important for the good of the sim that it’s fixed even if it isn’t impacting me personally.

1 Like

This thread contains the merged recent discussion from three closed threads on color banding in clouds and in the sky as well as to the general “felt” loss of quality of clouds.

A similar question like in the OP has been issued for the postponed Q@A here:

2 Likes

I like to fly in Iceland because of the often marginal weather situation where
the cloud scenery comes into play massiveley, - it is so well done that I ALWAYS
say to myself, "oh good , is that phantastic " (I’m not kidding ) !!
They even managed to model the fog slowly drifting up/down mountain sides.
I feel the same mood again when I was flying above the clouds, or in marginal weather when
the sunshine breaks through.
I use a RTX 3060, nothing special !
As to me: NOTHING to complain about the clouds.
Of course, there remains a lot to be done to improve. For example the
flight mechanics model in adverse weather/wind conditions.
Maybe that will be done one day when the simmers pay the development cost for the years to come, and not only once in a life time.

By, walter

I had those moments pre-SU5. Now it’s mostly “well, yeah, nice - somehow” (not kidding), and that’s when I’m not seeing the color banding and purple fringes under many lighting conditions - what may well be an SDR monitor related issue - and ignore the mushy look of most clouds since then.
I agree that the basic weather model itself which makes fog/clouds drift up/down mountainsides or depicts convective clouds over islands in otherwise clear skies is great.
To each their own.

3 Likes

Bad approach…

When is the Q&A taking place?

1 Like

I am in 100% agreement with all of this. It’s infuriating that users constantly come in here and claim all is well when CLEARLY all is NOT well. I had 1,350 hours played in this sim, happily, with excellent graphics and a superb VR experience. Ever since Sim Update 5, it’s been a nightmare, and I sadly haven’t been able to play due to the massive graphics downgrade in almost all aspects of the sim (lighting, clouds, reflections, colors, AA, blurriness, draw distance reductions, LOD reductions, and pop-in that is still present after WU6) that is taking all the enjoyment away for me.

There is without a doubt a downgrade and I wouldn’t just be making this up for no reason, and I have the experience to back up this claim. Any users that say otherwise simply are not noticing it, but we’re all playing the same sim and it’s 100% there.

Our only hope is that Asobo cares to revert the graphics for us high end PC users. For now, the sim is unenjoyable and the VR experience is abysmal.

Please, Asobo, address these questions!

3 Likes

“nightmare,” “haven’t been able to play,” “massive downgrade,” “taking all the enjoyment away,” “unenjoyable,” “abysmal.”
These are all subjective terms, and I can describe my experience with quite different terms. Which of us is right? This kind of argument leads absolutely nowhere.

The only way to persuade anyone, or to prove your point, is to stay away from emotional words and start using some objective criteria like framerate comparisons, screen shots and video comparisons etc. But even then there are so many variables with each person’s experience, hardware, internet connection quality and speed, etc., that being objective is very hard. So we resort to hyperbole, invective and anger.

It feels great to vent. But does it really do any good?

2 Likes

The proof is all over the forums, but Asobo has been radio silent on most of the issues so what else can we do… I am sharing facts from my perspective, and if you disagree please move along and go enjoy your sim.

1 Like

I wonder if anyone has any early texture assembly files left? for example, if yes, you can compare the cloud texture files themselves
they are in the folder Official\OneStore\fs-base\weather\clouds
if in early assemblies the size of the files is larger than now the fact, then was the compression of texture quality has an explanation with the quality of the clouds

Here is my list @Jummivana :

4 Likes

Boy, I came across as a really pedantic college-boy putz in that first response. You were just expressing your feelings and I stomped all over them.

My apologies.

1 Like

coud not agree more!!

2 Likes

Completely agree. We’re over a year in and the only “classic” airliner in production is the JF F-28 (as far as I know) with none in the Sim. Way too much time is being spent on the default aircraft. The default aircraft should be little more than something for occasional pilots to play with. Leave proper aircraft to the 3rd parties who have been doing them for decades and get the SDK finished and documented properly.

2 Likes

When will hotfix be released after latest bugged WU ??

Although emotional and subjective, these reactions are understandable and result from people who were happy with the quality of the sim (like me), flying in beautiful VR graphics and happily awaiting “updates” to the sim to improve further and implement new functionality. When these updates arrive and are pushed to the sim, and instead of improving the sim they degrade the quality, one can get emotional, especially when there is now way back, along with a lack of communication from the devs and no fix in sight.

The issues mentioned here are all documented and proven, and although this is still a great product, a downgrade in quality is not what anyone expects. The main issue for me is the degraded AA / shimmering that is a killer for VR. Cloud pixelation has also taken a turn for the worse, and although sometimes graphics are still phenomenal, a lot of times clouds look horrible, and worse than before SU5.

We are all hoping for some communication on this, acknowledgement of the issues, and fixes to be provided. At the same time we are lookin forward to great new updates and features.

1 Like