Update 1.12.13.0 has been an FPS killer

I can also confirm a performance decrease round about 5 FPS. Could play easily on Render Scaling 150 before and everything Ultra, now only 100 is possible and even with these settings, there is also a decrease.

RTX 3080
Ryzen 7 3800X

//edit: tried out different settings and even noticed an FPS decrease of about 10 frames. Even on FL330 I am now only getting 25 FPS, lowering settings does not affect the frame rate. Really curious, that I had better FPS before the update.

Since the Last MSFS, NVIDIA, and Windows 10 update, the sim is unplayable for me. I usually fly with 25-30 fps but now I don’t go above the 20s and continuous stuttering. I never had stutters even with a bad fps but now it is just everywhere. It is a nightmare, even with Low-end settings, there is no smooth rendering. It just seems the graphic card is just idling. My GPU only shows about 0-20% utilization and my cpu from 30 and above while RAM used is not more than 16GB.

It is weird that it starts out with an overexaggerated value of 80FPS and after a while it starts to stutter continuously and fps goes down to about 10-20s no matter the view.

Something is definitely wrong with one of the above updates.

3 Likes

Yesterday it was running smooth and today I can’t even get 30fps and very stuttery…? My fix is to reset graphics settings to default.

So, unlucky I have to work this afternoom, but tonight I am going to troubleshoot this problem. It is again an issue, just some users dealing with.
So, maybe it can be fixed, because it is system related.

I am going to role back drivers, test out different NV control settings etc…

ASAP I got a solution, I will post it here.

Something that has always worked for me in the past when updates seem to have affected performance or visual quality (only tested for Nvidia cards and the driver version I am recommending may not be of any use for 30 series cards)

Make a note of your Graphics card settings in Nvidia control panel
Make a note of your MSFS graphics settings.

Shutdown MSFS.
Uninstall your graphics drivers in safe mode using the DDU tool.
Restart PC.

Reinstall Nvidia driver 452.06 and then restart PC.

Restart MSFS and go into the graphics settings and set the High settings preset.

Confirm all is working ok then proceed to reset your Nvidia control panel settings and your in game graphics settings to your preferred level.

I am recommending 452.06 as this always seems to give me the best performance and visuals on my RTX 2070 super.

You 30 series users will probably have to substitute the driver version you remember working the best for you.

Seems like a long process but in reality on my PC it takes less than 20 minutes.

So far it has always worked for me although I haven’t had to use it for the last two updates.

I did update to the latest Nvidia drivers a week or so ago but although the performance wasn’t affected the visuals were a bit messed up and the AA was worse so I just did the DDU uninstall of drivers and reinstalled 452.06 without changing any in game settings and all is well again.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Exactly, what I noticed too. CohorentUIGT is limiting me hard and that even on FL330. There I had the best performance so far ofc, but now it is also bad on this flight level.

Spent every day since the update trying to resolve one issue and the other, fps and crashes, never done a complete IFR flight due to crashes since then, I wonder why they still haven’t given us the option to skip or revert updates. I think it’s time now for me to take a break. Here is the only error found and it tells me nothing:

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000043ca7a
Faulting process ID: 0x39d0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6db9d01522e12
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report ID: e0056b06-f10c-4dc1-9f8b-d3551aeb42ba
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: App

This is what I got when I overclocked to max. Mind you, XP works with this max clock.

Faulting application name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Faulting module name: RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fc6a5f7
Exception code: 0xc0000095
Fault offset: 0x00000000000e886a
Faulting process ID: 0x1bb8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6db930147ad00
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\RenoirCore.WindowsDesktop.dll
Report ID: 2909aefa-4e5d-4d44-88e5-da6594d87c87
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

My version:

Faulting module name: FlightSimulator.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5fda32ba
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000001d4b290
Faulting process id: 0x620
Faulting application start time: 0x01d6dbb28d210232
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.12.13.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe
Report Id: 3d15c4d5-61a7-4281-8b19-b83387b54471

Again, it’s futile for me to break my head into it since it doesn’t tell anything. Happens on long flights, this one took place after almost 2 hours in a flight.

I do believe it’s the servers, one flight can be normal and the next not so good, those servers are getting absolutely hammered with the update and holidays so close together, once things calm down I bet a lot of the complaints go away, as far as the update I seem to be getting better fps with my 2070 super, with the 3000 series I think the nvidia drivers need to mature a bit

2 Likes

In my case, I strongly believe the GPU is not being well utilized. The screenshot below shows that the GPU is just sleeping (at 7% with an NVIDIA RTX2070). The FPS doesn’t change even if I disable internet data. It stutters and goes from 20-25fps and suddenly down to 0 or 1 fps. I have never experienced it this bad.

Did some testing @Aerosoft EDDK and some other scenarios. GPU is using only about 30 to 60%, lowering graphics, changing Nvidia Settings, etc. doesn´t help. It seems, that something is blocking the GPU usage. Ofc, there is the “Limited by Main thread” thing, which is still one blocking factor. I can use the settings preset “Low” and I am still sitting at 25 to 30 FPS. VRAM is used at max. 8GB.

The micro stutters also increased and they are getting longer and more noticeable. Pre update, I hadn´t that much more FPS (about 5+), but the micro stutters were much better. When moving around the cockpit, you can feel camera stutters aswell.

Testing System:

• Ryzen 7 3800X
  • GigaByte Eagle RTX 3080 OC
  • 32 GB RAM / 3200 MHz

Testing Factors:

• EDDK Aerosoft
  • FBW A320
  • KI traffic
  • Live Weather

Somebody mentioned above, that turning off the VFR map in the HUD brings FPS. That’s true, I gained
about 2 or 3 FPS, but only when standing still on the ground. As soon as the aircraft starts, the same conditions occur like written above.

1 Like

Hi, I have a very old computer (build 10 years ago), there have been no global problems since the release of this game (CTD, bugs, etc). Asus 1660 Super overlocked (all settigs Ultra, cloud and texture resoluthion High) 35-45 fps, FL100 and above 50-55 fps.Sometimes this game stutters but not critical.
Try updating all drivers PC system (motherboard,bios,cpu,etc.)

This might sound a bit lame but when I get poor performance I reset to default graphics and the stutters disappear…

Boy do I agree. Folks need to realize that lots of people got upgrades to their computers over the holidays and just like me are just dying to test them on the most daunting of games/sims. We never get to see statistics of server usage for MSFS but my guess is it has skyrocketed recently. People are complaining about their CPUs and GPUs not being fully utilized. If the info isn’t getting sent to them fast enough, that would be exactly the scenario. This sim is designed to work off data being pulled in from central servers in real time, thrown into your system where it can be rendered. You can have the fastest rig possible and, if that info is being throttled coming in to you, your frame rates are going to dive.

For there always to be a code-based worsening of FPS with every update (and reading this forum that’s exactly what one would surmise), the Asobo software team would have to be absolutely incompetent and not testing their updates with their QA staff. That defies logic. Over the long haul, my experience has been smoother and more beautiful flights. I’ve been able to push my graphic settings up. Yeah, there are occasional pauses when I go into graphically rich areas as data is obviously being downloaded but omg how cool is all of this. My advice for what it’s worth. Turn off your frame counters and enjoy flying.

2 Likes

I could agree with that, when the problem wouldn’t occure with online data set to off. But the problem is still there, even when you fly offline and you are flying with the data from your hard drive.

Also I could agree that FPS doesn’t matter. But low FPS combined with stuttering makes flying impossible sometimes. I am really not a FPS hunter, but when people can play smooth on a 1080TI on low settings f.e and you nearly cannot even play with a top tier GPU on low settings, then the software is having major issues with hardware utilization.

2 Likes

I see your point but I don’t see the drop when offline as you are getting. Other than testing it I don’t play offline, it reminds me of old fsx so it’s online or no flying for me

1 Like

Ofc, I don’t play offline aswell. But tested it for Troubleshooting. The problem seems to be only there for some system with high end GPUs, especially 3080s and 3090s. I could install my old 1660TI and wouldn’t notice the drop aswell.

2 Likes

Yes, not sure as I have 2070 super, I think the 3000 series has some driver issues, they probably need to mature a bit cuz I hear more complaints from those owners than people with older cards

1 Like

Yeah, seems to be definitely related to this cards. But how ever, I absolutely agree, that FPS aren’t that important in a Sim. If you got stable 30 FPS without stutters, it is more then solid :sweat_smile:

Well I just got a new 3060ti replacing an older but very good RX580 and, while I didn’t see a major improvement in frame rates, everything is very smooth and graphically rich. If there is a problem with the 30 series cards that will be fixed by better drivers or even Asobo optimizing for them then things will get even better.

We just need to keep looking at the big picture here that this sim is a giant leap in how things are done, a tremendous gift to people that love this kind of thing, and we really have to resist applying that gamer mindset that many of us also have. It really is apples and oranges. I have no doubts things will continue to improve slowly (with some missteps at times sure) but overall I’m pretty much blown away by what we’ve seen so far and excited for each release.

1 Like