Update 5 (possibly this week) will improve water reflections, night lighting, autopilot, and more

Thanks, I did work out where it was, but thought it prudent to leave it open so others might find it. It was good. The 1 year out comment was inspiring. I think anybody with a bit of vision can see Asobo are enthusiastic and tired, to make this even more cool.

I think it would be a good move for them to post this and any similar content asap on Youtube, and post eye candy in 4K, it will be worth it in the long run.

100%! What is forgotten sometimes is the hours people take to file bugs, show before and after and give info and it’s wasted when entering a new bug dementia cycle. What was it basil fawlty always said … please understand before one of us dies.

I noticed something interesting last week when i was restoring some files to have a look at them. I got an error that the path was too long to restore some of them. Windows used to impose a maximum path length of 255 characters. As this sim installs into users\name\app data\bla\bla\bla\simulator\bla … on some systems this could be an issue.

I saw a post earlier today of someone fixing CTD issues by removing directories and wondered if this could be a path length issue.

I have a lot of them . I know this was increased but I think Windows 10 Home users have to manually enable it. I could be wrong but just a thought.

You’re right, you can tell Win10 to accept longer than MAX_PATH (260) chars paths. However this is system wide and it has negative impact on apps which can’t deal with these.

Since at least Win7, every single Windows file access API is supporting up to 65535 chars for any path if you’re using the ‘W’ version of the API (UCS2 strings) and you prepend the path with a “\\?\” (IIRC). When using the ‘W’ API, you also never have any issue when the path includes characters with accents (é).

Something is telling me FS2020 is using the ‘A’ API instead because I believe I’ve read people with accents in their user folder name were having issues. If it was using ‘W’ API calls, there shouldn’t be any problem with accents, and also, they could then prepend all their path to make API calls supporting up to 64K characters.

You shouldn’t have to modify your Win10 registry/config and I’m afraid the issue lies solely in Asobo’s hands.

1 Like

BINGO – I just got the same making a backup of the #5 install, using simple Windows File copy.
What is strange is that I was copying from the default install directory on my C drive, to a shorter backup folder on my D drive, so the destination file paths were shorter.

The only explanation I can see, is that the Installer can create the longer folder structure on the C drive, but windows then cannot use it’s copy command to fully read them, as it thinks they are now too long.
FYI: Just 2 files failed to copy (which I skipped) … I should go back now to see what they were

2 Likes

agreed and understood. Perhaps at the next dev update Asobo can comment on which version of the API and what impact certain systems may see. I dont know if their installed makes changs to the reg entry for LPS. Anyway lets see.

Well, tbh it is more than that, it is a bastardization. The point is that the pronounciation is completely changed. The ö is pronounced like the u in “Burger” or like “Hurt”. If you go to a group of germans and say your name was “Jorg”, “like New York” everyone would just be laughing. But you are actually right it seems he doesn’t care himself as he lives in the united states.

And I just corrected you as this is about as relevant as Aermacchi vs. Aermatschi, that is to say not at all :smiley:

I’m so sorry but it looks like FS2002 instead of FS2020… there must be something seriously wrong with your config.

Another flight screwed up with G1000, in short order autopilot fails and then instruments lock up. If you like hand flying this is definitely the game right now.