Update: Savage Carbon - STOL Realism Mod (v2.10 / Dec 27, 2022)

Hi. Thanks for the response. I’ll try lowering the rudder sensitivity as suggested. Do I understand that this yaw will be reduced after the update?

1 Like

As always, I’ll be hearing all your feedback. I have been making careful improvements this time as we liked the plane as it was. However, the yaw was just too “stiff”.

So if I overdid some force or effect in v1.0.3, or it’s still not strong enough, just let me know!

In your feedback do keep in mind this plane is super light (empty 1111lbs / 504kg) and has 141HP. So even if you fly a plane for real this will be different. VERY different. Forces will be more pronounced (especially P-Factor, Torque, Propwash etc) and any crosswind a challenge.

1 Like

The yaw reduced? The opposite in fact, it’s more “lose” now … and hopefully a lot more realistic. You need to break a sweat in this plane during takeoff, just like in a real tail dragger! But no worries, once you got the sensitivity sorted on your yaw axes, and with a bit of practice, you’ll be fine.

The other solution is to blast of with full power (hold brakes and release once you max rpm) and pump full flaps. You’ll be launched in the air so fast you’ll have no chance to veer of the runway :wink:

2 Likes

I get that too. Got gravel says wind is a big factor. I’m not sure if the next update will reduce the effect as I don’t 100% understand what he is suggesting by reducing the ‘stiffness’ of the yaw. He says will make more realistic, but does that mean like other ‘normal’ craft (thus reduced) or more realistic for a super light powered craft (thus increased)

1 Like

Thankyou very much for you help. I’m loving the aeroplane despite my take off challenge - it’s a learning curve :+1:

1 Like

Just to share, this is the sensitivity setup I use. It’s different for everyone of course, depending on your equipment and preferences, but still…good to know. Using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro myself. A more than adequate and highly affordable joystick.

1 Like

What is that problem ?

“The Bat” dropping by for a coffee. Anybody home? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You guys are talking about the “too easy” nose dips. That’s solved now in v1.0.3…the engine was located 20cm too much forward and 10cm too much upward. Gravity did the rest :wink:

The problem no longer exists. The issue was when you hit the brakes, it wanted to lean over and dig the prop into the ground. It was fixed same day in 1.0.2, but it sounds like it’s been further improved in 1.0.3.

1 Like

So much so I was able to add 50% more brake power on the mains in v1.0.3. It really feels awesome now on a 30kts (or less) touch down, with the brakes prepped. Fasten your seatbelts!

That’s awesome. Is 1.0.3 released yet?

Edit: NM, I see that it is…for some reason I thought it was only a preview. Installing now.

1 Like

Yup it’s out! Scroll up a little, or go for the 1st post.

1 Like

I thougt it was a real feature of that kind of planes, with one seat behind the pilot and luggage space in the back, that the only way to allow using full brakes was putting weight behind.

1 Like

Well it’s true that it helps to have a rear passenger or some luggage. You can brake harder in taildraggers. For competitive (and modified) STOL planes however you want light…so instead the mains are often moved forward (which I have done :slight_smile: ). You should be able to prep the brakes before touchdown at 100%…at least on dirt. On tarmac…you may want to be more careful.

I will fire up now . Enjoy the gravity take off.:+1:

1 Like

I have seen some videos of people putting a counter-weigth on the tail wheel after removing weight from other parts …

1 Like

Yes that is another trick in the STOL bag :slight_smile:

That is so helpful thank you

1 Like

Oh ! I was looking to change brake power in another plane, but could not find what value to modify … In what config file can this be modified ? Thanks.

1 Like