[Updated] Arrows Across America: fly the US Air Mail routes 1926 - 1934

That’d be awsome Robcap!

Baracus is seeing animals everywhere nowadays… i’ve been following the Wombat conversation on the other channel for the last week :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Yeah, i also used the Google maps to sort of back up the mapping, compare it to what i was seeing ingame on little navmap (the small insert window) but only if i temporarily lost my bearings… i love the runs through the mountains. it’s very much a fun flight, everytime, thanks again!

regards,

Steiny

1 Like

:rofl: … I blame that Raging Marsupial fella!

2 Likes

Hi all,

Just a quick one to let you know that @RobCap1966 and I will be at the FSWeekend sim event at the Aviodrome in Lelystad in The Netherlands on March 16th & 17th.

We will be demo’g the next release of Arrows Across America and my work in progress Hadrian’s Wall 180 project..

We will be in the Old Schiphol Building on both days.

It would be great to meet any of you that will also be there.

3 Likes

A Video I assembled from Screenshots with the Music of “Air Mail Special”

Flying the Air Mail

Just fascinated by the time the Mail flew by Air and was guided by Concrete and Lights.

4 Likes

Will anything be posted here afterwards recapping the preview for those who can’t make it?

Just a little update on our work on the Salt Lake City to Omaha route.
Dave placed all the beacons, we decided on which ILF’s to make, and which 3D models to make, to add to the fun.

Few pics.

Rock Springs hangar and airport are done.

The Art Deco hangar at Lincoln.
Still needs texturing and adding details, like windows, hangar doors, flagpoles, etc.

And the finished hangar at Omaha.

We all still need to put the building in their appropriate spot, or near it (we take some artistic freedom here and there)

5 Likes

Yep, we will make sure that everything is shared here as well.

2 Likes

Man, architecture was something else back then :sob:

2 Likes

That’s why I like to try to recreate it, so we can exprerience how it must have been in the past.

2 Likes

I stumbled on this webpage ( U.S Airmail Beacon System - Arrows and Beacons - Virtual Globetrotting ) with photos of surviving beacon locations, but by now I doubt if any of these will be news to the developers. Many thanks, I’m enjoying this very much any chance I have some free time to fly

2 Likes

Nice find.
I didn’t see this site, but we, and mainly Dave at the moment, do a lot of research on the routes. It’s always fun to find an original arrow, ILF foundations, or even a surviving tower.
I think we’re nearly there to publish the Salt Lake City to Omaha route.
Some work on a number of ILF’s still to be done, but the beacons are in place.

5 Likes

Hi all, @RobCap1966 and I will be at FSWeekend in Lelystad this Saturday and Sunday with the current versions of our Arrows Across America and Hadrian’s Wall 180 projects, plus our research material.

We will be in the Old Schiphol Building - if you going to FSWeekend and would like to find out more about the projects do come and find us!

3 Likes

In readiness for FSWeekend, we are dropping a link to current version of the Arrows Across America manual here.

If you haven’t yet downloaded the mod, click on the link to find fifty seven pages of everything you need to know about the air mail system, the routes we have for you in the sim, suggestions of aircraft to fly plus links to original sectionals and state weather briefings.

2 Likes

And if you fancy flying CAM8 from San Diego to Scappoose, we will be joining Splasher 6 and friends tomorrow evening.

Details of the stream are here.

1 Like

Was very interesting to meet you both at FSWeekend, on 16 march, thank you for explaining me about you project and a few tips into how to place own 3d models in MSFS! I also hope to see the Hadrian’s Wall project come more a reality and hope that with some advice I have you can accomplish that goal! Good luck with this projects and I definitely download and deliver mail with my favorite helicopter!

2 Likes

Great meeting you last weekend! Very nice project by the Varney AirLinesmen! Very well done!

ps… Just checked asdb-exchange and it looks like today the ADSB transmitters are working better than last weekend, so i’m pretty much convinced that "radio Room’ in the old Schiphol building was disturbing the adsb data in a radius of about 25kms :wink:
Pretty good to know your light-towers aren’t doing the same, hahahaha Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Yes, nice chat👌🏻
And regarding light beacons: Oldschool still is sometimes better.:wink:

Small update.
We added the old North Platte Hangar to the current field.

Some more small items to be added there.

7 Likes

And, in other news…

We reached the East Coast!
Soon you will be able to fly the Airmail from the Atlantic to the Pacific.

13 Likes

Hi,

Allow me to introduce ourselves first.
We are Luuk and Fred and we are enjoying your arrows across america a lot.
Great fun navigating on the beacons in difficult weather conditions and still be able to find them.

We have completed all the routes from Version 2 succesfully and have both installed version 3. (BTW a check on the files and folders show that we both have the same structure and exact same amount of files and folders (including exact the same sizes).

However, when we started to fly from KSPB to 49BR, we both have the beacons up to SF-S 57A Swan Field, but SF-S 57B Lake OSWEGO does show up in the FS2020 installation of Luuk but not in the installation of Fred. (And btw this is also true for all beacons following after Lake OSwego).

We have been trying to figure out the cause of this and have found the following sofar.

1. Docilf 49BR is selectable in the (FS2020) installation of Luuk and not in the (FS2020) installation of Fred
  2. Docilf 49BR is visible in both the Little Navmap of Luuk and Fred (strange as Little Navmap imports the airports from MSFS)
  3. Fred has removed the complete community folder and only loaded AoA in community but still the same result.
  4. We have finished flying the V2 routes with V3 version installed and for those legs all beacons properly were visible.

The only difference we identified between the both of us is that Luuk is using the standard version, while Fred is using the Premium the Luxe version).
As far as our knowledge goes this should not impact the use of AoA.

It seems the missing beacons are all new beacons from Version 3. (correct?)

Would you be able to help us restoring the fun of flying AoA for the new parts?
We would greatly appreciate.

Regards

3 Likes