Updates will always be problematic

Now I have spent quite a few hours with SU6 and am not overly impressed, but am not surprised. I was thinking ( and that is dangerous for me ) that after every “SU” type update we will have problems with MSFS2020. I have asked before “what are these BETA testers doing?”, and they are testing what these updates are going to fix, improve or destroy. Here’s my thinking…
When it comes to PC’s, especially custom built, there will not be 2 in this wide old world of ours that will be the same. Even store bought PC’c will each be different even though they are the same model and spec. The PC I built no one else has and that includes every beta tester. My PC is unique and will remain so. Yes we can change settings and so on but still my PC has it’s own finger print and will always be different and will operate differently. I’ll put money on it that even every X-Box is slightly different from the next. So in theory we are all between a rock and a hard place. So no fix, sim update, or world update is going to work for us all…period

After boring you all with that,
After SU6 I have had a couple of CTD’s which was down to addons. The thing that has got really bad is the “STUTTERING” . I did not have this before on this level and before SU5 I never encountered stuttering at all.
So SU6 did not in any way fix what SU5 destroyed and to me personally that’s a waste of time. I cannot see what was improved.

2 Likes

SU6 has been the best update for me.

9 Likes

My update is getting stuck 1.20.6.0. It keeps trying to decompress the file and keeps downloading it. I am hung up at 167/212. I have only been able to download 2.33GB of the 4…GB. Please help!

You can leave feedback here

I am not bad mouthing or slagging off Asobo or Microsoft but I personally think we all will encounter problems after updates. It’s a fact of life. There are some bugs within MSFS 2020 which have been there for an awful long time and not been addressed and they must be so deeply embedded in the code now, that it will take a nightmare to fix and that might even create more problems. I’m definately no expert but the SU5 detune to satisfy the X-box has a whole lot to answer for. 2 versions of MSFS2020 in my opinion would have been the best solution (PC and X-box).

I have also found that some bought addons are helping the stuttering and may have to be updated. My last flight from Melbourne (std msfs version) to Hobart (NZA Simulations) was totally stutter free :grin:. I have an awful lot of bought addons and to find if they are the source of the stuttering is going to be very long winded and time consuming.

To “TheDeathbird” remove everything from your community folder or rename it to Community.old. and give it a try. What I do when updating is create a new folder in the packages folder, name it “old” and slide my very large community folder into it and then just make a new but empty “Community” folder and proceed with the update. It works for me.

Have fun peeps. :+1:

I see the point you’re making, OP, but I’m guessing it goes ok for most people.

These forums are awash with people who have problems with it, but a penny will get you a pound that most of those who don’t suffer with glitches don’t post here; they just get on with the sim.

TBQH, I think, given how much the sim does, it’s a miracle we have so few problems.

7 Likes

It’s always useful to have information from those not being affected by a given issue. It’s possible that could lead to a solution, or at least an explanation of why something is happening?

The worst thing would be for the forums to become nothing more than an echo chamber of nodding heads.

4 Likes

Why?
Are you using a unique Operating system with unique API’s?

Are you not using an AMD or Intel CPU?
Are you not using the chipset designed for that CPU by the manufacturer of your CPU?

Yes. Every Desktop PC CPU on the consumer market for the last couple of decades is designed by just 2 manufacturers. They also design the motherboard chipset (regardless of which brand of motherboard you have)

GPU? Here again you have just a couple of choices (although Intel have expanded into this it’s unlikely you are running FS2020 on either an integrated GPU or a discrete Intel GPU so it’s likely you are either AMD or Nvidia…

Yes. Just 2 GPU manufacturers make pretty much every gaming PC GPU that has found its way into a gaming PC in the last decade.

Likewise the drivers for all the above are created by those manufacturers…and all that core tech I’ve listed above? That’s just 3 manufacturers. Intel, AMD, Nvidia.

Your memory? It’s almost certain that the Ram in your PC is made by either Samsung, Hynix or Micron. And it really makes very little difference which of those 3 it’s made by (certainly unless you are trying for bleeding edge overclocks in which case Samsung B die has been considered to be preferred because it has tighter tolerances but to be fair I’ve seen Hynix and Micron do just as well)

Hard drives? SSD’s? Etc. The hardware and controllers are similarly all made by a really quite small group of manufacturers (Samsung features heavily)!

And at the end of the day nobody is writing code directly for silicon anyway.

The myth that no 2 PC’s are alike is just that.
A myth.

I doubt you are trying to run this in a core2duo or AMD T-bird.

It’s possible that some might try running this on an Ivybridge. (Which would be less than the recommended spec but might actually work…sort of)

At launch the min spec was a mid to higher end Haswell and a GTX770.
Quite old kit. I have a laptop that exceeds that spec but wouldn’t bother trying to run FS2020 on it.
It struggled with Fallout 4

That min spec has now increased to a 9700k (and a 1070?)
Which is more realistic (although for me it actually runs pretty well on an older 8086k

As long as your PC is within the minimum recommended spec you are running hardware which hasn’t really changed much (certainly in Intel’s case.its been really quite small incremental perofmance increases)

So…your PC isn’t as “unique” as you think it is.

2 Likes

I have been trying to tell this to people for a long time, but they refuse to believe me. If this wasn’t true, then MS word, or Photoshop or Premiere would be a total nightmares for people, because they are many more users of that than there is of MSFS.

Most of the CTD’s when playing games is due to A) Inadequate PSU power delivery, or B) using the cheapest RAM, or C) Inadequate cooling of the CPU and / or GPU (these just usually thermal throttle and degrade performance, but can CTD). Add overclocking into the mix and you have a perfect storm. This always seems to fall on deaf ears.

1 Like

I remove this (the big post I had here, not the Game:))) ).

Since the update after SU5, I will uninstall the game clean. Then reinstall the game. Because I found that the SU6 update is the same… After the direct update, the FPS performance is very poor… But after reinstalling the game, it is normal…

Some of the bigger updates I expect to break things, especially now that XBox is released and done. If they find a better way to code things, but it breaks older content, then it’s best in the long run that they do it.

But they MUST communicate what has changed, what needs to be changed in developed content (and how it should be done), and what they expect the change should do for the sim. Then developers can get on with getting their updates out in a minimum of time.

1 Like

Yes they will always be problematic and I don’t think there is a solution as unlike say P3D or X plane you can move over after the brave people that like the bleeding edge have settled it in for you and the third party developers have had a chance to upgrade but with MSFS we all become Beta testers with each update!

The only solution is to do a P3D or X Plane and make it one big update and a couple of hot-fixes once every year or so that breaks a lot of things .

I am not sure the new generation of simmers which come from a more gaming background would want that as they are accustomed to the regular feature updates.

No you do not get what I am saying. The PC I built and the components therein are unique to my PC. Yes everyone will use a CPU, Motherboard, PSU,GPU, Cooling system, SSD, NVme, Case of their choosing. I am confident that no one else has the exact configuration that I have in my system (piece by piece is what I am saying).
How it is setup and used will be different so the next persons self built PC and store bought PC,Laptop.
So to me my PC is a one of, and I am confident that there is no piece by piece pc like what I built.

You should share your specs then… this will allow the knowledgeable folks within our community to try and help.

As mentioned above im pretty sure your system is not as unique as you would like to think.

for me, Su6 has been the best update by a country mile.

2 Likes

Being associated with a world wide technical training firm that specializes in teaching hands-on technical courses, I can guarantee that the same make and model of a PC can have drastically different components. We had a catalog of over 200 different courses, each with their own complex configuration, many with multiple virtual machines that would be “ghosted” during the set-up for the course. We had to contract with Dell to get several hundred laptops to all have the same components in order to eliminate driver, memory and other problems that would arise from these 200 or so different course loads.

So yes, I can see the problem of creating a single load that runs well on all the different PC variations as well as multiple different manufacture runs of consoles let alone the different generations.

1 Like

I can assure you that I do not have a problem in any way or form with my pc (the components are irrelevant). It runs MSFS2020 very well with everything set at Ultra (when MSFS is running and I am flying along happily the CPU temp max’s out at 46-48C). I know that the stuttering has come from some payware addon scenery. I know for a fact that the chances that anyone else has the exact bought or freeware addon scenery files that I have are about zero (combination wise is what I am talking about). It can be a specific combination of things that can lead to having a problem within FS. Everyone should read very carefully what I have said in my posts. I am not really complaining, but considering the untold problems a huge amount of users of MSFS have had wtih some or all the Sim Updates and that includes myself. SU5 was soul destroying especially that MSFS was working so well for me…until SU5. SU5 was a game changer.

Another thing, yesterday while flying along happily at 32000ft along came a Asobo/MSFS A1 aircraft towards me at an angle and it was at 34000ft and there was not stutter but a complete freeze of the sim which lasted about 5 seconds. Nothing to do with my system but definately has something to do with MSFS.

So I take it you don’t fly the King Air or Caravan?

1 Like

I fly the Caravan a lot, and SU6 is a great release for me.

No I don’t.